I plugged my Fender P bass into my amp before and no matter how loud i turned it i could barely hear anything until i hit the S1 switch, once i hit this i could hear the bottom two strings but nothing from the top two :S help please!!!!
it may be partially the wiring within the guitar i know mine had to be rewired as it wud not make any sound to the amp when plugged in at one point
I personally think the pickup under the D and G strings has died. That explains why you get barely any sound when it's wired in standard series wiring and only sound from the E and A pickup when you switch the S1 switch to parallel.

In short you need a new pickup.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I don't see how a pickup can die like that....it sounds like a bad solder.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I don't see how a pickup can die like that....it sounds like a bad solder.

The wire can sometimes get pulled out of the pup end. I had one that had that problem once.

tezrez, like people said it could be either the pickup or the wiring. If I were you I'd get it re-wired first then if that doesn't fix the problem then it's time for a new pickup. Always try the cheaper solution first!