I just want to see what kind of songs I should be able to play at a grade 5 level, I am self taught so I've never gone for grades. I want to enter a music college and you need to be at grade 5 or above to qualify, I know that the grades are mostly down to knowing theory but I just want to see the difficulty of songs I would be expected to play

So could someone list a few electric guitar songs which would require that level of ability?

sorry if its a stupid question but I would really appriciate any help
Stairway to heaven was used as a grade 5 peice when i was grade 5.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
I'm curious for this too, good question
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Yea, is the grade thing a European thing, because I have never heard of that in the states.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
yeah me living in uk we have grades, im self taught to mate so good on u i would also like to no some grade 5 pieces.
Quote by TheShizzNizz
yeah me living in uk we have grades, im self taught to mate so good on u i would also like to no some grade 5 pieces.

thats the only bad thing about been self-taught in my opinion, not getting grades
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
it goes up to grade 8

I just think it would be cool to get a grade and see how good you really are. haha idk. I miss taking lessons
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I just think it would be cool to get a grade and see how good you really are. haha idk. I miss taking lessons

thats why I'm asking about grade 5 songs,
I want to see what level I am at too

but you have to remember that the grades also include theory questions and stuff so if I can play a grade 7 song it doesn't necessarily mean I am on grade 7
Basically, Grade 1 = Beginner, you'd maybe have it down after playing for 6 months.

Grade 5 = Intermediate, probably have this after playing for a couple years.

Grade 8 = Professional Musician, this is about 4/5 years worth of playing.

But, the grading is just for the purposes of music college and/or teaching. If you imagine Grade 8 to be someone who's really good and knows loads of theory, Paul Gilbert and Satch would be like grade 16 if one existed!
Quote by jemeput
wow Ive been playing for 6 years now.. Im grade 8 already... ahahaha

Grats.
What songs do you have to play?
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by jemeput
wow Ive been playing for 6 years now.. Im grade 8 already... ahahaha

Same, passed with merit

And the music for Grade 8 is extremely easy imho. In fact, it's ridiculously easy for a Grade 8 exam. The sweeping study is at a ridiculously slow speed aswell. Not being up myself, just saying for the final grade it is quite easy.
Quote by bass wizard
Same, passed with merit

And the music for Grade 8 is extremely easy imho. In fact, it's ridiculously easy for a Grade 8 exam. The sweeping study is at a ridiculously slow speed aswell. Not being up myself, just saying for the final grade it is quite easy.

Could you tell us the requirements to pass each grade? I've only been playing about 2 months and I'm doing Grade 3 in a few weeks but just curious about the higher grades.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
From what I can remember about the other grades:

Grade 5- Need to know construction of maj,min,maj7,min7 and dom7 arpeggios. All 5 pentatonic scale shapes and have good legato for the legato study. Also need to be able to comp bass solos.

Grade 6- Be able to tap out the notes of a chord whilst holding that chord down. Need to know Ionian,dorian and phyrgian (sp?) modes.

Grade 8- Sweep picking, fast alternate picking. Need to know all modes and contruction of chords. Good guitar theory needed aswell.

Thats all I can remember without the book present.

HTH, Aidan.
Quote by bass wizard
From what I can remember about the other grades:

Grade 5- Need to know construction of maj,min,maj7,min7 and dom7 arpeggios. All 5 pentatonic scale shapes and have good legato for the legato study. Also need to be able to comp bass solos.

Grade 6- Be able to tap out the notes of a chord whilst holding that chord down. Need to know Ionian,dorian and phyrgian (sp?) modes.

Grade 8- Sweep picking, fast alternate picking. Need to know all modes and contruction of chords. Good guitar theory needed aswell.

Thats all I can remember without the book present.

HTH, Aidan.

Thats rockschool if im not wrong. I've seen the grade 8 pieces and they honestly aren't that tough at all (they have some shred-style songs but no where as hard as stuff from lets say, Racer X.)
Wtf I'm doing RGT and you don't have to learn a specific piece
Quote by Brian 1.0
Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
kill yourself, that'll show 'em.
Yeah RGT is considered better than Rockschool too. (at least by colleges anyway)

Rather than assessing your ability to play a song, RGT assesses the skills that you need to be a decent musician. Timing, rhythm, dynamic control, improvisation, theoretical and fretboard knowledge are all expected at a REALLY high standard to ace a Grade 8 RGT exam.
Yeah I won't be doing 8 for a long time. I'm only doing 4 at the minute 'cause I've never done a grade before and it's really not very difficult, but 8 I read the criteria for 8 and it is like ridiculous.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
kill yourself, that'll show 'em.
would be nice if there was some one who could like give normal songs a grade. i read stairway to heaven is like grade 5. if taught myself and been playing about 11 months (basicaly a year) but i can do quite a few hard song. most though without solo. i guess the solos play a big part but i dunno wat to do i cant really find any good songs with easy solos. i know of one but it just happends to be blasted by wah-wah lol (into the night by santana) id like to say im working towards a grade 4-5 i spose (without theory xD)
i guess u could say:

novice: grade 1-3
intermediate: grade 4-6
advanced: grade 7-8
agree?
[Capt_Clarkson according to abrsm and trinity always with me always wit you by joe satriani is borderline between grade 5 and 6
Quote by ConorJames
[Capt_Clarkson according to abrsm and trinity always with me always wit you by joe satriani is borderline between grade 5 and 6

I'm conducting a straw poll. If there had been a message that popped up before you posted saying that this thread was 7 years old and so the issue is either solved or further information is unnecessary, would you still have posted a reply to this thread?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Basically, Grade 1 = Beginner, you'd maybe have it down after playing for 6 months.

Grade 5 = Intermediate, probably have this after playing for a couple years.

Grade 8 = Professional Musician, this is about 4/5 years worth of playing.

But, the grading is just for the purposes of music college and/or teaching. If you imagine Grade 8 to be someone who's really good and knows loads of theory, Paul Gilbert and Satch would be like grade 16 if one existed!

thanks for the explanation. There really should be more grades like grade 16 then we could really see who are the top tier guitarists.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
There are lots of different boards providing graded exams in the UK.

Rock School do grades for electric guitar, bass guitar and more recently acoustic guitar. They also do music theory exams.

RGT do electric, bass, acoustic and ukulele exams.

Trinity Guildhall have exams in electric, bass, classical guitar and plectrum guitar.

ABRSM do classical guitar exams.

There are other boards, but the aforementioned are accredited and contribute to UCAS points should the candidate want to enter university.

All the different exams cater for different abilities and tastes in music but all have their own merits and I use all of them when teaching depending on the pupil.
This thread... is 8 years old...

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.