Hi,

I'm concerned about the noise im getting when i stop playing the guitar on a heavy setting, i don't know whether it's feedback, humm or whatever but i cant work with it, something's not right.

The guitar is an Epi les paul std 2008 model, interface is a line 6 kb37, my computer is a laptop vista, and my daw is cubase 4. I get this feedback/noise/humm when using amplitube, guitar rig and podfarm, which are all capable of producing good custom tone.

The clean is ok, but use a heavy setting and you can forget it, theres no way you can use the the heavy guitar recording with that in the background,

Any ideas how to combat the issue?

Thanks Bob
is it a screechy sound or just hiss? or both? haha A good noise suppressor would probably be your answer, although I'm real noobish when it comes to recording like you are. Can you still use effects pedals or an fx loop? The ISP Decimator G string is your best best for noise reduction at any rate.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
the answer really comes from where the hum starts...

is it coming from the amp?
--if so get a noise suppresor/shorter cables

is it in the headphones when you record?
--if so check you connection to the interface/computer/EQ settings

is it only in the recording?
--time to practice remastering
Hi.

CODE - It dissapears when i turn the volume of the guitar down

Chuckmehh - ive used a noisegate which works, but in doing so changes the sound of the distortion to an unusable state.

theGlitch - i dont use an amp i use VST plug in amp modelling, yes i hear it through the headphones as i wear them when recording, its not only in recording its as soon as i use presets or start modelling my own heavy settings.

thanks
seems to be your pickups man. Do you have the stock Epiphone pickups? I remember my Epi Les Paul doin the same thing until I buckled down and got some nice EMGs for it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
I would have thought the Epi was a decent enough standard for what i do, (home recording burn to cd) and having paid £400 - $700 fo it diddnt think id have to mess with the guitars hardware to use it, youd expect to be able to plug in n go for that price, because you can get a new yamaha pacifica 112v for £200 - $350, but i thought id pay the extra for a better quality instrument (so i was lead to believe )

to be honest i dont wanna have to mess with pickups, i wouldnt know where to start nor do i have the time to learn, am i best off to consider selling the epi then, for a guitar where i dont get these issues for a similar price.

For the record, im looking for the blink 182 guitar sound as on the album (enema of the state) high gain but you can hear the single notes crystal, in amp modelling im after acombination of messa boog on tripple rect clean channel maxed up and jcm900 on heavy channel maxed up, so they blend together.

thanks
Stay farther from your laptop when you record. Lower the input levels and the gain, use the built-in noise reduction. Don't max out and don't blend amps in a single preset. Build separate presets for different amps and layer guitars played with different settings to get your tone. My Squier should hum lots more than your Epi, and I go straight in the Line-in, yet the hum is not blatantly audible. Good luck!
Last edited by AbsenceOfFaith at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by AbsenceOfFaith
Stay farther from your laptop when you record. Lower the input levels and the gain, use the built-in noise reduction. Don't max out and don't blend amps in a single preset. Build separate presets for different amps and layer guitars played with different settings to get your tone.

This.
Hi,

i could lower the pickups as i did raise them to get a thicker tone from the instrument, so could try that, also yes the possibility that im with close proximity of the laptop could be an element aswell. Never thought of recording the guitar part twice with different presets to get the desired sound, interesting
gate it

if it's only there when you're not playing, record your part and gate it after it's in the comp. that way you dont have to worry about a sustaining note getting cut out. you can tweak to your hearts content.

i've never had a problem with noise because i was too close to my comp. and when i do record, my guitar's only about a foot away from it.
It is not obligatory to use different settings for each layer of guitar, but experimenting with these can be quite surprising. Always pan the rhythm guitar tracks left and right, maybe at around 60%. They don't sound good dead-center or completely separated.
Thank you everyone for the pointers, i should have to pay for this stuff! this site is an excellent recourse where one can ask and give advice, I'll try out the methods given and see how i get on
Thanks guys!