I keep doing these typical n00b "What Guitar?" threads, for which I apolagise for but...

I've made my decision, either an Epiphone SG Prophecy the dirty fingers or the EMG one, Epiphone Tony Iommi sig, or a second hand Gibson SG special

So I play hardcore mainly and metalcore through a laney LX120h half stack, so opions, experience and yeah well

All come in at £450 which is my maximum budget

James
If you're set on those guitars, definitely go for the Gibson SG.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Yeah? Yeah I definately want an SG style shap, only teh prophecy with EMGs draws me in particular because of teh EMGs mainly haha
The Gibby will feel, sound and play way better. And it'll keep its value. No contest.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

if u get the gibson make sure its a good one, there are some seriously poor gibsons out there. dont get the sig
What amp are you using? EMGs sound crap through bad amps so it might not even be a factor.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Already said what amp a Laney LX120 head through a laney cab. Also I use a BOss Metal zone pedal if that helps?
I'd take the Gibson in this case.

Although the most suitable guitar I can think of is an ESP LTD Viper 401. It's SG shaped and has EMG's. A new one's out of your price range but they're fairly common, so you might find a second-hand one.

EDIT:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-LTD-Viper-400-Cherry-Red-Active-EMG-Pickups_W0QQitemZ150346456509QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item230158ddbd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-Viper-401-Cream-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ400073412692QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5d263bd054&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Last edited by sashki at Sep 17, 2009,
yur amp is solid state, so dont get either one with EMGs. go for the gibson, then when/if you need to, replace the pups.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Your amps solid state if i remember correctly......so not worth having EMGs really unless u pick up some passives
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I own the Epi Toni Iommi SG and it's one of the best SGs I have ever played/owned and that includes most Gibson SGs I have played or owned over the years. I actually picked the Epi over the Gibson Toni Iommi because they sounded and played exactly alike. Of course the Gibby was priced at $1700.00 used and IMO not worth half that.

The Epi Prophecy line is great I played both models I loved them both but I prefer the Dirty Fingers over the EMGs. A Gibson SG faded special is only $700.00 I have tried them and I do not think they are as good as the two Epis you listed.

John