Poll: What will music be like in ten years?
Poll Options
View poll results: What will music be like in ten years?
****ty like it is now
53 15%
Even worse than it is now
105 30%
It will get better
124 35%
This is the ****ing end of music
69 20%
Voters: 351.
Page 1 of 3
I have a very bad feeling about the current state of music and have been for the past 2 or 3 years. Record shops are declining and stores are starting to stop selling them because now many people just download all the music they want for free. Many people believe the art form of the album is also declining and will be completely vanished in less than ten years. Now you very rarely ever hear of new bands getting signed or any kind of new talent. So this is why I ask you guys, where do you see music in ten years? Ten years ago a band's status in the industry was usually marked by how many albums they sold...
I'll actually jump into a blackhole if in the next ten years, music comprises of chiptune and robots rapping.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I see a lot more actual artists rising to the top, and record companies stopping the whole grab a hot chick and make her sound good with effects thing...

Or it could keep going the way it is as artists make approximately 20 cents per album sold.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
You know they said the same thing in the 80's, right?

There was no downloading free music in the 80's
Quote by KileManA7X
I have a very bad feeling about the current state of music and have been for the past 2 or 3 years. Record shops are declining and stores are starting to stop selling them because now many people just download all the music they want for free. Many people believe the art form of the album is also declining and will be completely vanished in less than ten years. Now you very rarely ever hear of new bands getting signed or any kind of new talent. So this is why I ask you guys, where do you see music in ten years? Ten years ago a band's status in the industry was usually marked by how many albums they sold...

That statement seemed completely out of place.

Nevertheless, there's no way music's dying out. New forms will always show up, and there will always be some sort of progress towards something. Whether you like that progress is up to you, but movement in music is inevitable.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
everyone knows the world won't last past 2012...

On a more serious note, music changes every 10 years or so.
look at 50's to 60's, 60's to 70's, 70's to 80's didn't change all too much but there was still a change, 80's to 90's ect...

the most we will have to wait is another 10 years.

EDIT: Before I get flamed. /flameshield will be active towards certain members.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by KileManA7X
There was no downloading free music in the 80's

Radio>cassette

Your parent's piracy.
I dunno. Let me hop in my time machine and I'll get back to you on that.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Karvid

Nevertheless, there's no way music's dying out. New forms will always show up, and there will always be some sort of progress towards something. Whether you like that progress is up to you, but movement in music is inevitable.

No not really almost always when a band was mentioned in a magazine or an online article like Rolling Stone in the first sentence or two the author mentioned that the band was 6 on the Billboard charts or sold 500,000 copies in it's first week or something of that nature. Rappers bragged all the time about the millions of albums they sold.
Last edited by KileManA7X at Sep 17, 2009,
It will continue on the steady decline forever. There's a programme called 'vocaloid' now which generates a voice to sing words that you type in. It's already used in japan so now record companies dont even need someone like miley to be the hit , they generate 'virtual pop stars'.

We are heading into the abyss.
Quote by KileManA7X
Quote by Karvid

No not really almost always when a band was mentioned in a magazine or an online article like Rolling Stone in the first sentence or two the author mentioned that the band was 6 on the Billboard charts or sold 500,000 copies in it's first week or something of that nature. Rappers bragged all the time about the millions of albums they sold.

Yeah, I know, but you seemed to ask the concluding question, and then you posted that other statement. It wasn't wrong, it just felt out of place.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by KileManA7X
I have a very bad feeling about the current state of music and have been for the past 2 or 3 years. Record shops are declining and stores are starting to stop selling them because now many people just download all the music they want for free.

IMO outlets like the iTunes Store are the future of the record label.
Many people believe the art form of the album is also declining and will be completely vanished in less than ten years.

Chuh, like who? There's not a band I listen to that doesn't release albums, i.e. clumps of new songs all at once. Maybe radio pop garbage releases single after single, but that supports its purpose.
Now you very rarely ever hear of new bands getting signed or any kind of new talent.
Patently false.
So this is why I ask you guys, where do you see music in ten years?

Exactly where it is now and has always been. The radio will play formulaic, soulless garbage. Underground, or at least less well-known, you'll find some really, really awesome stuff, and eventually some of those artists will see radio's lure and sell out. We've all gotta pay the bills, am I right?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
You know they said the same thing in the 80's, right?

Yeah but that's because they were right and at the plateau of good music.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by kaptink
Radio>cassette

Your parent's piracy.

Ok you're partially right. Radios dont usually play entire albums on the radio and what are the chances u can always find a friend that has the album u want to copy. U gotta find it from someone. Now you can get any song, any album.
The only bad thing is that people will buy singles more then albums, or just buy single songs more.

I totally prefer albums. I'd hate it if bands released a new song every month or some crap. I'd never buy anything if that happen and I'd torrent it all in a compilation.
Albums are great, and let me buy a bunch of great songs all at once, especially when bought via a physical medium [ie CD], so I have a permanent copy of my music collection [that would also look nice on a shelf].

The music itself is pretty cool.
Electro-pop seems to be quite popular now, and seems to be growing in strength. Not necessary a bad thing as I've seen some people do it well [ie Calvin Harris, and in a hard rock context, you can consider Muse].
I do prefer 'old school' hip hop/rap, so that will get worse with a lot of the newer artists killing that genre, but there should be some saving graces. And I really hope all female/male groups singing pop songs with no real talent [ie Girls Aloud, and most of the UK chart] are phased out.
Metal seems to be emerging as the current 'now' thing among that type of crowd, even though a lot of it is metalcore, it still opens doors to other types of metal.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 17, 2009,
Good question

I think it will be either really good or really bad

Ether the current music trend will stay and get progressively worse. Or a new type of music will come out where guitars will rock like they have never rocked before
Why does everyone think music is so bad now? There's a lot of great music today.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I can see now in 2045 there will be Megatallica and Slaythrax and Judas Maiden and Led Sabbath.
it will be rubbish i have no doubt in that
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by grimms
I can see now in 2045 there will be Megatallica and Slaythrax and Judas Maiden and Led Sabbath.

Nickelblack Sabbath
Goodness gracious me!
Music is great now and I'm willing to bet it will be great in ten years. The internet is a godsend for underground music and I can only see that expanding within the next ten years. There's as much good stuff coming out now as there always was, you just have to look. Oh, and I for one am so happy that major labels are dying. The music industry is fucking ridiculous, I can't stand it. Bands will still release albums too, at least bands worth listening to.

Oh, and about downloading. I download albums and if I was in a band popular enough to have my albums downloaded, I'd expect kids to do the same. Hell, I'd be flattered if people thought my music was good enough to download. As long as people still go to shows, I'm all for downloading.Music shouldn't be made for money, but for passion. It's great that people can make a living off of it, but a lot of bands are just greedy. All the bands I hear complaining about illegal downloading are usually the richest, which is just ridiculous.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Sep 17, 2009,
It's so ****ing hard being able to tour and release albums nation wide if u are unknown. You know the other day I talked to this girl at school about the decline of music shops and she said "Who needs to buy a cd when u can just download the single off limewire for free? Like whats the point of albums??" . This concept is extremely popular where I live. People just dont get it.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Why does everyone think music is so bad now? There's a lot of great music today.

Yeah, I'm not huge fan of a lot of new artists (although a lot of the artists I listen to still release music), but there's always some great music around. Plus, with such a huge amount of music from the past, I never stop finding good music that I haven't heard before.

Edit: ^I'm not an advocate of Limewire or Bittorrents (I prefer CDs myself), but piracy and new media on the Internet actually do help people find obscure bands. They don't feel the need to spend money on it, so they'll find music they like, and can access it (and share it) with greater ease.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Sep 17, 2009,
I hardly ever listen to new music unless the bands I like bring out new CDs.
I'm stuck with all my favorites being from late 70s - late 90s.
I can never find anything original compared to older things these days when it comes to bands.
For practicing musicians however such as Joe Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Petrucci, etc something new is bound to come by from them aswell as other famous instrumentalists on Piano, percussion and everything else.
Quote by KileManA7X
It's so ****ing hard being able to tour and release albums nation wide if u are unknown. You know the other day I talked to this girl at school about the decline of music shops and she said "Who needs to buy a cd when u can just download the single off limewire for free? Like whats the point of albums??" . This concept is extremely popular where I live. People just dont get it.

TBH, Piracy *is* a concern of a mine.
The occasional bit of piracy [equivalent to bootlegging] where you try out a few songs, or an album or two, to try out new artists is perfectly fine. Heck, I do it all the time to try out what I might like and not like - I download an album, and if I like I'll buy stuff in the future. If not, no harm done to anyone.
Downloading your entire music collection for nothing isn't.

Off topic, but , I'vseene many people whose mp3 players consist of a one song by an artist [such as a popular single], but for many artists. It makes me giggle for some reason.

Quote by grimms
I hardly ever listen to new music unless the bands I like bring out new CDs.
I'm stuck with all my favorites being from late 70s - late 90s.
I can never find anything original compared to older things these days when it comes to bands.
For practicing musicians however such as Joe Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Petrucci, etc something new is bound to come by from them aswell as other famous instrumentalists on Piano, percussion and everything else.

I don't mean to be rude, but there a LOT of amazing modern artists. Heck, 3 Inches of Blood are pretty modern and sound amazing [ie "Advance and Vanquish"].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by KileManA7X
Ok you're partially right. Radios dont usually play entire albums on the radio and what are the chances u can always find a friend that has the album u want to copy. U gotta find it from someone. Now you can get any song, any album.

That's true of course but the Music industry still saw it as a major threat akin to today's anti-mp3, enough to fund a campaign against it. in Some old sealed vinyl records you can still find "Home taping is killing music" stickers inside.
To those who say 'there's good music now'. Yeah, there is but the bad music never used to be so popular and so commercial like now (See point about them generating vocals).

You never had 'pop music' meaning the same thing as it does now. Elvis was popular music but he was still 'rock n roll' as a genre. Now you have 'pop music' as a genre on its own. This manufactured ugly music won't ever go away now that the fat cats realise the public can be tricked into buying this junk so easily.
Quote by kaptink
That's true of course but the Music industry still saw it as a major threat akin to today's anti-mp3, enough to fund a campaign against it. in Some old sealed vinyl records you can still find "Home taping is killing music" stickers inside.

Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
personally, i think music right now is the best it has ever been. just don't turn on the radio. there are so many bands that have a unique sound that keep coming out. like, there will always be ur Metallica and Zep copycats, there will always be copy cats. i think metal right now is in a good place, i think hiphop is in a good place, i think alternative is in a good place. just dont turn on the radio.

music won't die, like that Don Mclean song.
You don't hear about it much in classic rock, but that's because classic rock is dead. Good metal and rap are alive and well.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Simsimius
TBH, Piracy *is* a concern of a mine.
The occasional bit of piracy [equivalent to bootlegging] where you try out a few songs, or an album or two, to try out new artists is perfectly fine. Heck, I do it all the time to try out what I might like and not like - I download an album, and if I like I'll buy stuff in the future. If not, no harm done to anyone.
Downloading your entire music collection for nothing isn't.

Off topic, but , I'vseene many people whose mp3 players consist of a one song by an artist [such as a popular single], but for many artists. It makes me giggle for some reason.

I don't mean to be rude, but there a LOT of amazing modern artists. Heck, 3 Inches of Blood are pretty modern and sound amazing [ie "Advance and Vanquish"].

I love 3 Inches of Blood, i said "hardly" listen to :P: That doesn't mean I don't
Quote by grimms
I love 3 Inches of Blood, i said "hardly" listen to :P: That doesn't mean I don't

Whoops, .
You're fine by me then.
I see what you mean now, where the majority of your music isn't new. I can sort of relate [but I do like a lot of modern artists too, I'd say I'm 50-50]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Karvid

Haha, another thing to love about DK.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Sonicxlover
You don't hear about it much in classic rock, but that's because classic rock is dead. Good metal and rap are alive and well.

I like how rock is kind of dying down, because there are either really good bands or really bad bands.
And the good ones are the ones you can't get enough of, ie, Skid Row (with Bach), GnR (AFD Era) etc.
Page 1 of 3