My bassist recently purchased the Acoustic 200w bass amp head, and had ordered the Basson 210 bass cab. On the Basson website, it says:

This is a power-hungry brute, thus your head choice is critical and must sustain 400+ watts at 4 ohms.

The head is only 200 watts and 4 ohms. What problems could arise from underpowering a cabinet? Will it just not be as loud, or will it not work at all? I understand it's possible to blow speakers for an amp being to powerful, but is it actually possible for it to be the other way around?

Also, the site says the cab has two Speakon sockets. The head doesn't have Speakon outputs, so would 1/4" to Speakon adapters do anything bad to the sound or equipment?
It might not be a problem at all. I was always taught to spec speakers to 2x the amp power. So however hard you push the amp, the speakers won't distort - speaker distortion is often just nasty, and undesirable.
Besides, a 200w amp is hardly a colossus of power, so it might well be running close to max in a live situation. As long as the ohms match, the amp's safe.
It wouldn't be too hard to make a cable with a 1/4" TR jack on one end, and a Speakon on the other. As long as it's speaker cable it's made with, there shouldn't be any sound loss issues.
As far as I can tell, there's no real risk to running less power than RMS. The issue is that people figure if you're using less wattage you're going to push it harder, and what does real damage to speakers is solid state amps clipping. As long as your amp does not clip (i.e. distort) then you'll be fine.
Quote by creepingjesus73
It might not be a problem at all. I was always taught to spec speakers to 2x the amp power. So however hard you push the amp, the speakers won't distort - speaker distortion is often just nasty, and undesirable.
Besides, a 200w amp is hardly a colossus of power, so it might well be running close to max in a live situation. As long as the ohms match, the amp's safe.
It wouldn't be too hard to make a cable with a 1/4" TR jack on one end, and a Speakon on the other. As long as it's speaker cable it's made with, there shouldn't be any sound loss issues.

Apparently so im told, most everyday speakers we play through have an amount of natural distortion and this is why when we play higher end/custom on order cabs, that are very good we dont like them because all of a sudden all our speakers are doing is emitting sound. Eh
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^Weelll, yes and no. That was the 'why' of Hartke aluminium cones, and Adam's little titanium ribbon tweeters. For one, they're stiffer, so flex less in undesirable ways; and for another, they carry less mass, so carry less inertia and momentum.
In theory.
In practice, and despite all the engineering that goes into them, the difference is usually put down to the 'character' of the speakers. Putting a nice upgrade into one cab can be godly - and hellish in another.
Maybe I should have said 'excessive distortion', I.E., where a speaker is pushed way too far. Having said that, the fizzy, ratty distortion of a tortured speaker is an integral part of some old school punk tones!
Jazz_rock_feel's point is good, too. If you drive a solid state amp 'into the wall', you get nasty even order harmonic clipping (valve amps tend to have odd order, which sounds much nicer). If you heard that, you'd instinctively turn down, it sounds so bad. Damage to the output transistors/MOSFETs often follows.
Thanks guys! I guess he decided to return the amp (just got it yesterday) and get one that'd be more suitable with the cab.
Quote by creepingjesus73
That was the situation some years ago.
Speakers have come a long way since the 70s and before that.
Voice coil developemnt has made speakers more reliable than in tha past, I have regularly gigged with a 1200 watt amp playing into a 300 watt 15" Eminence.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn