So, I scream ( it's a vocal style for those of you that don't know) and I'm looking for a mic to record with. Back in the day, the day being two years ago, my brother had a MXL 990 that was GREAT for clean vocals and ambient guitar and such. DO you think with some eq work it would be good for screaming? or should i look into a different mic? I would also be using this mic for clean vocals. does anyone else here scream and know which mic is good for it? Think underoath.
it seems to me (i could be very wrong, this is just a guess) that if you want the sound of your actual screaming voice to be what's recorded, any mic that does well with clean vocals would do well for screaming. just find a mic with a pad so you dont have to worry as much about overloading the diaphragm. i dont think the 990 has one, but a whole lot of mics do.

EQ should only be used if you have to. ideally, you'd find a mic that makes your voice sound exactly like your voice and you wouldn't have to worry about changing it after you record.
Quote by breakdown123
Shure SM58 is the industry standard. Underoath uses them.

im 90% thats untrue when it comes to vocals. I wouldn't doubt underoath using sm58's on their cabs, but i doubt they would use them on vocals.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
at 3035 its like 115.

CATHARSIS! you are usually awesome. I'll be honest, i have no idea what your saying here, could you explain? I trust your info wholeheartedly, lol.
Quote by sandyman323
it seems to me (i could be very wrong, this is just a guess) that if you want the sound of your actual screaming voice to be what's recorded, any mic that does well with clean vocals would do well for screaming. just find a mic with a pad so you dont have to worry as much about overloading the diaphragm. i dont think the 990 has one, but a whole lot of mics do.

EQ should only be used if you have to. ideally, you'd find a mic that makes your voice sound exactly like your voice and you wouldn't have to worry about changing it after you record.

interesting, sounds logical, lol. there is a 990s, which includes a 10db. what exactly IS a pad?
oh sweet. the 990's i've got doesn't have that. and yes, that's what i was talking about. the -10dB pad just bumps the output of the mic down 10dB. that way if you're screaming is overloading the diaphragm, you can flip that pad on to help keep it from distorting.

with screaming, after seeing the dude's post about the 58, it might be better to use a dynamic. however, my first statement still stands. it just depends on how you want your voice colored. either cheap condenser style, or decent dynamic style.
i think ill do cheap condenser style, id like to throw down some acoustic tracks as well. Thanks for the help!
Quote by I Like Me.
im 90% thats untrue when it comes to vocals. I wouldn't doubt underoath using sm58's on their cabs, but i doubt they would use them on vocals.

nope, SM58s are pretty popular for screaming vox, you may be tyhinking of SM57.

I would say avoid large diaphragm condensers for screaming generally, they tend to sound to warm and don't always take high volumes will.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by CatharsisStudio
nah dude LDCs are good for screaming. Sm58 isn't gonna work that well. if your on a budget, audia technica 3035 or any of the 30 series for super cheap yet legit sound,

I have to thouroughly disagree, in my experience most LDCs tend to distort when you scream into them due to the volume, you can stand further back from the mic, but unless you have access to a good vocal booth that's going to cause problems in terms of room acoustics affecting the sound and the increased chance of the mic picking up ambient noise. SM58s however, work just fine.

Quote by seanington
Whats the price of Sm7bs in the US? There I can only find em for like $950 in aus.

About $350 USD.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
nah dude LDCs are good for screaming. Sm58 isn't gonna work that well. if your on a budget, audia technica 3035 or any of the 30 series for super cheap yet legit sound,

or drop a few dollaz and get an sm7b which is the best screaming mic ever

+1 ive heard examples from catharsis and a joey sturgis vid. it gives awesome results for extreme vocals (screams,growls....)

EDIT: for the sm7b
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Sep 18, 2009,
ive heard great things of the sm7b, the dude in oceano uses them and sounds RIDICULOUS good. how much to LDC mics usually run? Kid your right, i was thinking of the 57 lol. But i still don't think a professional musician would use a 58 to record their vocals. Live i wouldn't doubt underoath using 58's.