I play a mexican strat through a Vox AC15 and a tubescreamer. Overall I'm very satisfied with my tone, thick rhythms and cutting leads.

I simply want to know if there is room for improvement and I feel like the pickups are the way to go (something about the brigde pickup, just seems a bit a weak to me).

I am willing to look at mass production pickups and private builders.

I play classic rock along the lines of the Hendrix Experience and Led Zeppelin.

Thanks
I'm located in South Florida. I'm not planning to spend over $200.
I'd recommend Bare Knuckle's but you're in the US so it'll be too costly to consider it.

I'll leave it for an American user that knows their stuff to suggest things

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
On a mexican Strat there is room for improvement. I would recommend a set of Fender 70's Strat pickups, but there are much cheaper options. Maybe look at GFS pickups, which are very inexpensive, and Lace pickups.
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Look into blade pickups for your bridge maybe.

Any idea on prices?
I imagine at that price you could look at handwired pickups from small companies. I don't know any of the American ones however so I can't really recommend. I recently put a set of Rock Monkey pickups in my strat and I adore them but it's probably not the best idea as you're in the US.

EDIT: It depends if you're looking for proper single coil sounds or something a bit thicker. If you want something a bit different try Lace, noiseless and different types depending on the sound you want. If you definitely want real single coil sounds you'd probably be better with a handwired set from a good boutique company.
Last edited by aaronni at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by aaronni
I imagine at that price you could look at handwired pickups from small companies. I don't know any of the American ones however so I can't really recommend. I recently put a set of Rock Monkey pickups in my strat and I adore them but it's probably not the best idea as you're in the US.

EDIT: It depends if you're looking for proper single coil sounds or something a bit thicker. If you want something a bit different try Lace, noiseless and different types depending on the sound you want. If you definitely want real single coil sounds you'd probably be better with a handwired set from a good boutique company.

I'm looking for classic tone, nothing modern. Suppose like the sound from a late 60's strat overdriven by a late 60's British voiced amp. BTW the rock monkey pickups look very interesting, I might give the guy a call.

EDIT:
Any ideas for private manufacturers like Rock Monkey, but in the US?
Last edited by Axis28 at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by Axis28
I'm looking for classic tone, nothing modern. Suppose like the sound from a late 60's strat overdriven by a late 60's British voiced amp. BTW the rock monkey pickups look very interesting, I might give the guy a call.

EDIT:
Any ideas for private manufacturers like Rock Monkey, but in the US?

The Rock Monkey pickups are probably up there with the best, Bareknuckle get a lot more mentions on here though. Chris of Rock Monkey has an account here, CorduroyEW PM him if you're interested.

But there's probably better options for you in the US pricewise. Hopefully an American UGer can help you out there.
Quote by aaronni
The Rock Monkey pickups are probably up there with the best, Bareknuckle get a lot more mentions on here though. Chris of Rock Monkey has an account here, CorduroyEW PM him if you're interested.

But there's probably better options for you in the US pricewise. Hopefully an American UGer can help you out there.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully an American will have some insight to share.
RIO GRANDE!

In all seriousness, they make the best single coils I have ever heard. So much character, responds well to pick attack, just fantastic pickups. Here is there website:

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

I myself have a pair of Vintage Tallboys in my strat copy, and I fully intend to replace the bridge humbucker at some point with another of these... gonna have to mess around with it and get a new pickguard, but worth it in my opinion.
ive got a set of BG pickups in my strat, i think they are fantastic. ive got the V60 set, which is based on the 60's strat tone, which it sounds like you said you were looking for. though you said late 60's and these are more aimed at an early/mid 60's sound. meh, still worth a look i would say. made in the US and going to run you about $150-160 for a set i think.

linky:
http://www.bg-pups.com/
Quote by nerdor257
RIO GRANDE!

In all seriousness, they make the best single coils I have ever heard. So much character, responds well to pick attack, just fantastic pickups. Here is there website:

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

I myself have a pair of Vintage Tallboys in my strat copy, and I fully intend to replace the bridge humbucker at some point with another of these... gonna have to mess around with it and get a new pickguard, but worth it in my opinion.

Sounds great! How do the pickups respond to tube overdrive? In classic rock terms.
Quote by jof1029
ive got a set of BG pickups in my strat, i think they are fantastic. ive got the V60 set, which is based on the 60's strat tone, which it sounds like you said you were looking for. though you said late 60's and these are more aimed at an early/mid 60's sound. meh, still worth a look i would say. made in the US and going to run you about $150-160 for a set i think.

linky:
http://www.bg-pups.com/

Thanks for the link. The V60's sound great in the "dirty" demo.
Quote by Crashed_Wave
Where in South FL are you in???
I'm near Ft. Myers

Close to Ft. Lauderdale.