Hi there, i've just recently wired my own custom strat (slowly regretting), which has 2 fender vintage noiseless pickups and a seymour duncan jb. I bought a fender vibro champ yesterday to go with it and when ever i let the volume slip above 2 or 3 i'm getting an extreme amount of hum. It's making it unplayable for me. Any ideas what could be causing this? Bad earthing or something like that? I've tried another cheapy cheapy guitar through it and the hum isnt quite as bad but still isnt very nice. Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers, Dave.
could be something as simple as your standing/sitting too close to the amp, or it could be that the pickups arent wired in properly.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Have you tried the Strat through another amp? If the other guitar has a hum through the vibro champ, maybe it is the amp....was it used?
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Yeah, it was an ebay buy. I cant imagine it's natural. I tried a 60 pound electric through it aswell as the strat and they both hum alot. My leads are at full length which are 5 ft. I've tried them both through my marshall mgcdr which has the same result, but ive always just put up with that and kept the volume low because it was a cheap guitar going through a cheap amp.
Does the hum stop when you touch the strings?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Does the hum stop when you touch the strings?

Nope
Whats your eq settings? Also does it stop when you pull the cable out of the amp? If it stops then you may have wired your new pickup in coil split mode thus giving you the 60 cycle hum.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Sep 18, 2009,