I really love Ibanez guitars, but my ibanez can get out of tune pretty quickly. I'm not willing to get another kind of guitar but I'm wondering if i should swap them. I also have an epiphone and I can leave it alone for a week or two and pick it up perfectly in tune. Does Ibanez just not have good tuners?
nah,go with boss or korg
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
nah,go with boss or korg

I think he meant the tuners on the headstock of the guitar
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
LOL boss or Korg

but seriously the higher end Epiphones have Grover tuners which are very good but i'm not sure about the ibanez. I'm sure you could swap them for a higher end set though
Quote by InfiniteRain
I think he meant the tuners on the headstock of the guitar
yeah heh
tuner.......

they sound the same and spell the same
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
LOL boss or Korg

but seriously the higher end Epiphones have Grover tuners which are very good but i'm not sure about the ibanez. I'm sure you could swap them for a higher end set though

Alright cool, thanks.
on most of the epiphone models they use grover tuners which are pretty good whilst i think ibanez make their own so that may be why you have that problem
Even my $300 Epi acoustic has Grovers on it. I think it would be a good idea to go with some Schallers maybe, if your Ibanez has a Floyd Rose that you use alot on it. Otherwise, go with Grovers.
standard ibanez RG series(not GIO) has gotoh tuners which are pretty awesome for me
i havent had a problem with mine
which model is the ibanez?
Quote by XChainsawGorgeX
standard ibanez RG series(not GIO) has gotoh tuners which are pretty awesome for me
i havent had a problem with mine
which model is the ibanez?
art 300 I don't think they are gotoh
The only guitar I ever ran into with stable standard tuners was a Schecter - my Ibbys G string goes whack every hour.. but then again I like to yank on the G string (ha - thats what he said)

But once I used Sperzels, I'm sold on them - I can bend like crazy and the tuning stays absolutely put.
RG is more metal,heavier stuff
Art is lighter stuff
Quote by angusfan16
The tuners are most likely not your problem. Ibanez tuners are pretty sturdy, even on the cheap models.

There's three sources for tuning problems that can actually be fixed:

1) The strings: Have you stretched them properly? If not, they'll detune with every bending, or even if you look at them funny.

2) The nut: This is most often the problem. The slots need to be greased, so the strings don't get stuck in them. Higher end guitars usually have bone or graphite nuts which grease themselves, but cheaper models usually come with plastic instead. Take off the strings and use a soft pencil to get some graphit in the slots (pencils are made of graphit).

3) Tremolo: If you have a non-locking trem and use it a lot, it can detune your guitar. A well lubricated nut will help in this case, but there's no way to get rid of this problem entirely, it's just a characteristic of non-locking trems. If it's a 2-point trem (as opposed to a 6-point one), check if it's knife edges are worn out. They rarely are the problem, but if you experience drastic detuning when using a trem, that can be the cause.

I don't get where you people get that Grover nonsense by the way. The name means jack. The name's owned by some company (might by Gibson, I'm not certain) and they make Grover labeled tuners in all sorts of places, out of all sorts of materials, to all sorts of quality standards. There are some very fine Grover tuners, but there's also cheap ones, like the ones you find on most Epiphones. They usually look cheap and feel like absolute junk. It's actually amazing that they're as realiable as they are, they hold tune well and I've seen very few of them break. Still, Ibanez tuners, except the ones on their beginner's range, are of higher quality then the so-called Grovers you find on most Epis nowadays.
Well you may have the time to write full paragraphs but that doesn't mean our opinions are suddenly invalid. I speak from experience when saying that the Grovers on my LP Custom are great and tune excellently
Good points, I'll add another one that I see all the time - too many windings on the string post.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I speak from experience when saying that the Grovers on my LP Custom are great and tune excellently

And I also said that, despite feeling shoddy, Epi tuners work very well.

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well you may have the time to write full paragraphs but that doesn't mean our opinions are suddenly invalid.

Depends on what your opinion is, really. My rant about Grover labeled tuners had very little to do with opinion. That there's differnt Grovers and they vary in quality isn't an opinion, it's a fact. It's not like I make that stuff up to enrage people on the internet.
Quote by TheQuailman
And I also said that, despite feeling shoddy, Epi tuners work very well.

Depends on what your opinion is, really. My rant about Grover labeled tuners had very little to do with opinion. That there's differnt Grovers and they vary in quality isn't an opinion, it's a fact. It's not like I make that stuff up to enrage people on the internet.

Lol. I agree with you. I had grovers on my epi g-400, wanted to change out the hardware to gold so I said why not try wilkinson ez lock tuners. I have to say for 25 bucks, they stay in tune just as good as grovers, makes me wonder is grover just a brand name?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ