So here is the deal. My Randall stopped working, and to be honest I rarely ever play metal anymore. So I have been checking out kijiji everyday for a couple months and I've found some amps I am interested in.

Right now there is a Fender HRDeville (2X12), HRDeluxe, and a Vox AC30custom classic head.

VoxAC30 $500 - So this is actually my friends amp. I have played it many times and love it. He bought it in 2006 and blew a tube(s) and has since fallen upon a Fender bandmaster and has not bothered replacing the tube(s). He is currently selling it as "needing all new tubes" but I have no idea how many need replacing. So the only thing that I'm hesitant about is that I have no idea how much tubes cost, or if I could replace them myself? also since it's a head I would also need some sort of cabinet. (But I do have the speaker (celestion of some sort, don't remember off the top of my head) from my Randall, perhaps I could use this just for the time being?)

Fender HotRod Deville (2X12) $650 - Fully retubed with JJ's and comes with a cover and footswitch. The last couple bands I have seen in concert (The Trews, Sam Roberts, Manchester Orchestra, Cage the Elephant) seemed to all have one guitarist using an AC30 and one using a HotRod series of some sort! Don't know too much else about this amp..

Fender HotRod Deluxe $550 - Not sure if it is a 1X12 or 2X12, no pictures. Whats the difference between this and the Deville?

Technically I don't have a budget, but since I'm going to be hardcore saving for school this next year I would like to keep it under $800 which is obviously why I'm looking used. I'm into pretty much straight forward rock n' roll, classics to new stuff, nothing too heavy. I also like some lighter stuff like Jack Johnson and Donovan Frankenreiter. I have a tubescreamer so I could always boost the amp for more gain if needed..

So what do you guys think?
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
tubes cost next to nothing dude, comparable to a pack of 12 string strings.

anyways, i'd take the vox. i've got one and it's my favorite amp of all time. it's a custom classic so it's not as great as some of the other AC30s, but trust me when i tell you that even the custom classic sounds absolutely stunning.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
tubes cost next to nothing dude, comparable to a pack of 12 string strings.

Tubes costs next to nothing? 4 matched 6L6 output tubes cost at least 100$ here in Canada I don't know about US but it's surely not much less. Then there are the preamp tubes... Don't know how much they cost.

edit: I know 6L6 are not the tubes of Vox but I think the prices should not be really different.
Last edited by antoine2055 at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by antoine2055
Tubes costs next to nothing? 4 matched 6L6 output tubes cost at least 100$ here in Canada I don't know about US but it's surely not much less. Then there are the preamp tubes... Don't know how much they cost.

edit: I know 6L6 are not the tubes of Vox but I think the prices should not be really different.

i live in Canada, i've never paid that much for tubes. and by a pack of 12 strings, i mean PER tube.
so worst case scenario, I need to replace all the tubes in the vox. The vox website says it has 4 x EL84/6BQ5 --- 3 x 12AX7/ECC83 --- 1 x GZ34 so I'm lookin' at like what $150 maybe? I could probably get the amp for $450 seeing as how I know him pretty well.

I'm torn between the whole american/british voicing thing. I really love both hah. I just love getting that breakup on a slightly clean setting. Nothin' like hitting a huge open E chord and just getting that awesome grit out of it.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Vox AC30CC2!!!
HRD and Deville are almost the same, Deville are more powerfull 60watt (HRD in 40watt).But HRD need to change speaker, drive and more drive channel are not very good.For better sound you need to change output transformer on HRD.
On AC30CC2 I change speaker to G12M25 .
+1 for Vox
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3