Okay, so I'm selling my Ibanez RG350MDX on Craigslist, and I posted an ad a couple of days ago. I got no responses, blah blah blah, then suddenly some guy from Chicago responds. He basically says that he is a big collector, and that he's been looking for my guitar for a long time, and that he can send a courier down to pick it up after he pays me. There are a few things that weirded me out about this:

1. He lives in Chicago, and he's searching the Gainesville, FL Craigslist for a mid-level guitar.
2. He wants to send a courier down to pick it up, even though that probably costs as much money as buying the guitar from MF.
3. He seems really hasty to do the deal, and basically agrees to whatever I tell him.
4. He claims his name is like "Nathan Jones" or something really generic, but he speaks horrible English. Not in an illiterate redneck sort of way, either, but an illiterate foreign person sort of way.

...Does this seem like B.S. to you? He's agreed to send me a certified/cashier's check and let me cash it before he picks up the guitar, but something's still fishy. There's theoretically no way this could go wrong, but all signs point to him wanting to cheat me in some way. I'll send him an email asking the courier to bring cash, and we can exchange, but still, I'd like the forum's advice on this one.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Just wondering, how does the scam work?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Just wondering, how does the scam work?

Exactly, how could he scam me if I get the money first? Maybe he's just an idiot.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by SinSyringe
its basically this
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090330112009AAdN8Xz
too lazy to fully explain, but they wind up getting u to send some money after going on about couriers

I'll just ask him to have his courier come and give me cash for the guitar. If he agrees to that, then whatever. If he stops contacting me, then whatever.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
the check is going to bounce after couple weeks, then the money you thought u cashed in suddenly goes puff! if its cash than make sure it's legit not counter printed
So I emailed him asking him if I could do a cash for guitar swap with the "Courier", and he replied with this:

They Private Courier can not bring the Money for you cos is not their work and they can only come to you after you receive your money

Needless to say, I think the deal's off.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
DO NOT DO DEAL, STAY AWAY.

/thread.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
This is a really common scam attempt. And it does work 10% of the time. They send you a bank or cashier check. Many times they make a "mistake" and make it out for more than the amount and ask you to return the extra. 2 or 3 weeks later your bank calls and tells you the check is bogus and you have to pay it back. The guy makes off with 100$ or whatever, you get stuck paying your bank back. Or they are just fishing for info. Basic things like your address, full name, phone number can go a long way toward identity theft. Sometimes they are just after email addresses they can sell to spammers.

Most of the scammers put very little effort into it bad english etc. If your not an easy mark they move on. I was trying to sell an old VW bus on craigslist and some guy tried this were he said he wanted me to ship it to him, like I can box it up and send it UPS. Dont think they even knew what ad they were replying to.
Craig's list warns about these scams right on their site.

Copied from Craig's list:

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

My #1 rule CASH ONLY!

If you don't follow these rules you might as well give the guitar away.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Sep 17, 2009,
ROFL! Gotta love these guys. There just so.... ROFL!

So ya...stay away
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
he's a collector, and he's been looking for an RG350 for a long time? giveaway right there. not to bash your guitar you're selling, but they aren't really collectable and they aren't rare.

anyway, every time i've posted anything on craigslist i get at least 2 or 3 scam replies. it sucks, but it might just be the area i'm in. i get tons of them.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by kckyle
let the carrier come and have him arrested?

This.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
My reply to these is "go away scammer". I got a reply that read; "yes, I am a scammer, I make more cash in a week than you do in 6 months so call me whatever you like. If you would like a taste of the good life, I will send you $150 cash. When you get the cash, send me a scan of a legitimate blank $20 money order or cashier's check. Then I will send you this cash everytime you send me a different money order scan. Then you will see why I am a "scammer" and you may not be so quick to judge". What was funny is she sounded foriegn until I called her out, then she spoke fluently ans wanted to be my friend. I forwarded the info to the police.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!