I was looking through an issue of Time that featured Jay Leno. I then found this pic:

(The image in the actual magazine is much better quality)
What amp is that? I can tell it's a Mesa, and it's got the rectifier logo, But I've never seen a recto that small. Is it some type of low-wattage recto? If it is then where can I get one, because it's not on Mesa's site.
Quote by Cholas

I don't think so. You can't really tell from this pic but on the higher quality pic in the magazine, (which I don't have right now) It seemed to only have one line of knobs. The maverick has two lines.

EDIT: I did some more searching of Mesa's site, and it appears the amp in question is a Mesa Blue Angel. Which, sadly does not have a master volume. It kind of ruins my purpose of wanting a low-wattage recto, low volumes. That, and it's been discontinued.
Last edited by In The Mist at Sep 17, 2009,
Yeah fair enough, I see what you mean. Well... I'll sit back with this coffee and wait to learn something, haha.
That might be an Express, actually.

EDIT: On closer inspection, no, I don't think so. Maybe a Single Rec. Combo?
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by take_it_t

It's too small to be a rect-o-verb. It's a blue angel, which looks like it's more of a blues/classic rock amp. I guess Rectifier does not always mean Metal. I makes sense though. Why would the guitarist for Jay's band have an amp that is used mostly for metal?
Actually could be Blue Angel, but I think the best bet for TS looking for a current amp like this would be the rect-o-verb or the roadster. Rect-o-verb looks most like this amp.
Yeah I saw that on the show the other day. Thought it was a Rect-O-Verb from first glance too.

The Rect-O-Verb is actually aimed at people who play things other than metal/hard rock.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by take_it_t
Actually could be Blue Angel, but I think the best bet for TS looking for a current amp like this would be the rect-o-verb or the roadster. Rect-o-verb looks most like this amp.

Actually I'm looking at the Blackstar HT-5. The Mesa would have come further down the road, seeing as there is no way I could gather the cash needed to buy a mesa any time soon.
It's the same amp he's used for years.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Kevin Eubanks uses a Mesa Blue Angel and I think a Heartbreaker, if I remember right

I don't know if that's his amp, though. It probably is.
that's definitely a blue angel; it's only got like 5 or 6 knobs, so it can't be a recto.

out of curiosity, how high is the headroom on it and how many watts is it? I know some pros use them, but I've never used one personally.
From Kevin's site :
"Mr. Kevin Eubanks could you please tell me the name of the amplifier you use on the Leno show, It sounds great! I'd like to buy one. Thanks

Its a Boogie Blue Angel. However before you go out and buy one. Keep in mind that it's not only the amp that makes up your sound. I use a power soak, a RAT, and Im sure I pick up some compression somewhere along the way before it gets on the air. If you go to try one, take your **** with, pedals, guitar, etc, so you can see if it's what you really want "
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by RG_FANMAN
that's definitely a blue angel; it's only got like 5 or 6 knobs, so it can't be a recto.

out of curiosity, how high is the headroom on it and how many watts is it? I know some pros use them, but I've never used one personally.

It is actually part of the Recto series. Just google it in images. You will see the trademark recto log instantly.
From Mesa's site if anyone is too lazy to look:

The Angel’s tasty gumbo is fired by two 6V6’s and four EL-84’s. The bubbly, warm 6V6’s throw down 15 juicy watts when used solo.

The flavor is Fullerton, circa 1960, sweet as the oranges that once grew in the pre-mall Southern California sun.

Locking in the four EL-84’s produces a brighter character—tighter and more aggressive, with a nice spread in the upper harmonics. This 33 watt configuration is royal jelly for the stinging blues.
I have a huge fear if rays.