Ok so i'm primarily an acoustic guitarist, but i adore playing heavy guitar. I'm an average guitarist really but when it comes to pinch harmonics i tend to really suck. I get them now and then, i realise it's all about making contact with your finger after the pick strikes which is what creates the natural harmonic but i just can't quite seem to get it right. Are they any tips you guys would be willing to offer?

thanks for reading
I used to suck at pitch harmonics but i found the best thing to it is to be consistency. Consistency comes from practice.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Sharp, thick picks, thick strings.

This, I went from 1.0 picks to 2.0, I can hit harmonics on comand
Try picking the string in slightly different spots. i.e. nearer the bridge pup, or neck pup.
Quote by 12 Story Fall
cool thanks very much guys, maybe i need to go for heavier equipment. I use jazz 3 picks mostly and slinkys for strings, not a particularly thick guage, and yeah i do need to practice lots and lots. any more tips at all?

my video covers about everything you need man...check it out...super slinkys and Jazz IIIs are fine for the record.

EDIT: you actually just said slinkys haha I'm assuming regular slinkys? Those are still fine...any string is fine haha
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Sharp, thick picks, thick strings.

While this may make pinch harmonics easier, its not the only way to pull them off.

I use medium guage strings and .50mm - .55mm picks (lights) and Ive perfected my pinch harmonic technique.

Some people make the harmonic with thier left hand after picking the string, and some use the flesh on the thumb of thier right hand immediately after picking. I perfer the latter.

It just takes practice dude, try finding a fairly simple song that you really like that incorporates pinch harmonics and practice practice practice.

I learned laid to rest

Before ya know it, you'll be squealin. You dont have to go out of your way and change strings and buy new picks just to incorporate one new technique.

Oh, and upping the high on your distortion a tad higher than everything else will usually let you hear them better.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Sep 17, 2009,
Yes and btw. I found out that Zakk Wyldes method of always having a wah pedal running through your amp with it nosed down at full treble setting makes them come out real ****ing mean.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yes and btw. I found out that Zakk Wyldes method of always having a wah pedal running through your amp with it nosed down at full treble setting makes them come out real ****ing mean.

Whoever told you this is a effin moron...."Always"?....not hardly

Its true Zakk uses the wah at times to enhance the pinch harmonic but not "always"...go see him live or get a copy of ozzy live and loud or a bls dvd....he"ll be doing them everywhere on stage,airbourne,laying on the ground,on a runway out in the crowd...and the wah is not on...

Well now I got something to add to the "stupidest thing a guitar player has ever told you thread"...thanks ;p

Anyhow I read an interview with zakk a long time ago where the dude asked how he did this technique and he said the key to his version of it is the boss chorus pedal (super or ensamble,he's used them both)....but I don't think it matters if you watch the no rest for the wicked home video it shows zakk playing totally unplugged in a hallway during the crazy babies video shoot and he's still hittin them....

Its all about the thumb hitting the string with the pick and the spot where you pick it at...overdrives,chouruses,and emgs are not nessesary to do them like so many people think...I play strats with single coils and I can get that same sound....practice,practice,practice

And for the record john sykes' ph's sound way crazier than zakks....what a shame he never got the recognition the big beared freak did hahaha
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Whoever told you this is a effin moron...."Always"?....not hardly

Its true Zakk uses the wah at times to enhance the pinch harmonic but not "always"...go see him live or get a copy of ozzy live and loud or a bls dvd....he"ll be doing them everywhere on stage,airbourne,laying on the ground,on a runway out in the crowd...and the wah is not on...

Well now I got something to add to the "stupidest thing a guitar player has ever told you thread"...thanks ;p

Anyhow I read an interview with zakk a long time ago where the dude asked how he did this technique and he said the key to his version of it is the boss chorus pedal (super or ensamble,he's used them both)....but I don't think it matters if you watch the no rest for the wicked home video it shows zakk playing totally unplugged in a hallway during the crazy babies video shoot and he's still hittin them....

Its all about the thumb hitting the string with the pick and the spot where you pick it at...overdrives,chouruses,and emgs are not nessesary to do them like so many people think...I play strats with single coils and I can get that same sound....practice,practice,practice

And for the record john sykes' ph's sound way crazier than zakks....what a shame he never got the recognition the big beared freak did hahaha

Oh yeah, Doug Aldrich and Syke have really good ones, the 1987 album is full of classic 80s ph.

There are alot of BLS songs where you can hear him filtering a wah throughout the entire song and he says it himself in an interview that he likes to use it as a treble boost alot.

Went over the top with "always".
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 18, 2009,
Practice them for one hour right now and you can do them forever, until you die.