I'm really struggling with the F chord in a:

e-1-
B-1-
G-2-
D-3-
A-0-
E-x-

shape.

Is it universally acceptable to bar the whole first fret? So that would be this one right?

e-1-
B-1-
G-2-
D-3-
A-3-
E-1-
both are legit F chords but try to learn the 1st example as well, it'll help with more chords.
GUITARS
Jackson AT-1
Schecter Loomis-FR
Squier Stratocaster
BASSES
Jay Turser JTB-402
AMPS
Fender Super Champ XD
Washburn Mad Dog
PEDALS
Vox Satchurator

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I never bar that.
Mostly because I have a problem with barring the whole neck, so I had to learn how to do it without the barring, but... -shrug-
i always barred the first fret. for my F's. but i can easily do the first shape as well.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
What??? I didn't get it... do you mean how to play the first chord??

use your index finger to bar just the first two strings, then middle for third string, and ring finger for fourth string
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
You can barre the first fret like that, it's perfectly fine (i'd prefer it). Or you can use the other one. It really doesn't matter, just which ever one is easier. I'm not certain what the question was, but I think I answered it.

p.s. Cyborlox had a great reply
Last edited by ibanez87 at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by Kurai X
What??? I didn't get it... do you mean how to play the first chord??

use your index finger to bar just the first two strings, then middle for third string, and ring finger for fourth string

Yeah I know the finger placement, but for some reason I just struggle with it. Not sure if it's small fingers or bad hand placement on the neck. I don't know why, I just struggle with it.
Last edited by Howard2k at Sep 17, 2009,
Acousticly i play it the way you showed 1st but instead of the open A i'd fret the F octave, not barring the whole thing so its more comfertable.

Electric i barre the whole thing as it's easier (i use .9's) and you get a better sound.

I would however practice just barring it always and not doing it the half cocked way i do.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
I prefer to bar it, hard to get all the strings to sounds out at first (still occasionally mess it up) but I find it much easier to play.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Thanks all, I'll keep on building up the finger strength and go with the second one.
I barre the fret. Gives a MUCH more full tonality to the chord. But both have their uses, like Getting in Tune by The Who. The first shape fits the song (well, the Piano part) much better than the barre chord
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
I can't barre an F chord - scalloped frets make it almost impossible. So I do a Jimi and use my thumb and play
e---
B-1-
G-2-
D-3-
A-x-
E-1-

That's just me though...Most people barre the whole neck.
They're both exactly the same chord, you just don't need to barre across the whole fretboard for the first fingering.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Bah I hate baring across all 6 strings for the F... then again I do almost all my barre chords hendrix style now so that might be a factor in why I hate barring across all 6 strings now. Not that I dont do it, I just prefer using my thumb for the base note now as I find it easier for me to do.

I use the first example of the F all the time, I love the way it sounds. All your doing is omitting the low F, its the same exact chord.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by Howard2k
Thanks all, I'll keep on building up the finger strength and go with the second one.

You'll be glad you did.
I hated the F chord when I started. I really jut wanted to stick with songs only containing open chords.
Once you get the bar-technique down, a new world will be opened for you.
An alternative I sometime use, though, is this:

e-1-
B-1-    bar these with index
G-2-    middle
D-3-    pinky
A-3-    ring
E-x-

Because you can easily move your index finger a little and get a Maj7 chord, which is one of my favorites.

e-0-
B-1-    index
G-2-    middle
D-3-    pinky
A-3-    ring
E-x-

Yea, I think David Gilmour use that one in "Breathe"
Quote by Dragonis
Bah I hate baring across all 6 strings for the F... then again I do almost all my barre chords hendrix style now so that might be a factor in why I hate barring across all 6 strings now. Not that I dont do it, I just prefer using my thumb for the base note now as I find it easier for me to do.

I use the first example of the F all the time, I love the way it sounds. All your doing is omitting the low F, its the same exact chord.

Maybe this is a dumbass question, but what is "Hendrix style"?
I think it's using your thumb for the root note, instead of barring all six strings.
Quote by Nevermind1299
I never bar that.
Mostly because I have a problem with barring the whole neck, so I had to learn how to do it without the barring, but... -shrug-

you're setting yourself for failure, i'm very disappointed. get to your room!
Quote by ChadHydro
When I was having trouble with the F Major chord when I was first learning guitar I would play an FMaj7 instead. Not the same chord and it will sound different but I found it to be an acceptable alternative

Yep that's what I started with

But as noted, gonna have to bite that bullet so might as well be now.