I am getting my first electric guitar for the Christmas of 2009. By the time I get that guitar I will have been playing the guitar for 6 months and have been taking lessons for 4 months. The guitar I want is an Ibanez ART100. I was wondering if I could hook a Line 6 Spider IV 30 30W amp to an Ibanez Art100 and have it sound good. I am for sure getting the guitar but I am not sure about the amp. If you guys know of a better amp for under $200, please let me know.

Links

Guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART100-Artist-Electric-Guitar-512354-i1326045.gc

Amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-620209-i1470459.gc
I'd suggest a Peavey Vypyr 30W:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

I have a 15W, and it's really good for how little it cost. The only thing I don't like about these (as with a lot of Peavey amps) are the speakers. Only a minor issue though, especially compared to the iffy quiality of the Spiders.
ya ive played both the vypyr and the spider, the vypyr is alot better
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by TheLetheProject
I'd suggest a Peavey Vypyr 30W

This.. i have one and they are awesome for the price dude.. great for a first amp
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
what do you play or want to play? If you like low gain stuff and blues go for a small tube amp like a vox ac4, valve junior, or look at the bugera v5 (ive never played one, they just came out). If you like the versatility of digital amps, Id stay away from spiders and look into the vypyrs. They will get you tons of sounds but you will have a hard time getting a nice clean tone out of it. I talked my friend into getting an agile al-2000 and a vypyr for a starter setup, and its pretty nice

Either way though, as a noob guitarist I thought my spider was awesome, but eventually I got an ear for tone and realized I made a big mistake.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Sweet. I just looked up the Peavey Vypyr 30 30w. It looks awesome. Thx for your help. What do you think about the guitar. Is there a better one for $300.
Quote by IbanezART100
Sweet. I just looked up the Peavey Vypyr 30 30w. It looks awesome. Thx for your help. What do you think about the guitar. Is there a better one for $300.

I have no doubt that there is a guitar more to your liking for that price.

Don't worry about it though. That's a fine beginner guitar.
Quote by Flying Couch
I have no doubt that there is a guitar more to your liking for that price.

Don't worry about it though. That's a fine beginner guitar.

I really like it because of the Les Paul style.
To be honest the guitar isn't great. In my opinion. The ART300 is a lot better, but with that price range you should get an RG or something. Yamaha Pacifica 112v is good. If you like the Les Paul style get an Epiphone Les Paul they're also good first guitars.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by IbanezART100
I play mostly hard rock. Some blues and classical rock

Get a VOX VT30, the Vypyr won't give you what you want, I think.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well, as you can see Spiders get ripped around here, when half of these guys probably haven't even used a Spider IV

I say go for it, I don't have one but have played one, as I prefer the Spider III HD75

Although some flaws deserve to get it ripped from time to time I'll admit.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by pedroskins
why does everybody suggest peavey vypyr's?

Because well, they sound decent. I've yet to play a Spider IV, but the III's sounded like absolute garbage to me. I don't think that the IV's are any better.

And that RG is a good choice IMO. I wen't with the next model up, had no issue with it at all. But, the neck is just to thin for my personal tastes (I'm a bigger guy), so try it out first. Ibanez does make some VERY solid guitars.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

The ART100 Artist is a pretty good guitar. I have tried a lot of them and would buy one if I find one at the right price. I prefer to buy used and pay a lot less. Ibanez lower priced guitars are not bad at all I think their pups sound good, they seem to be built well and they play very well. Ibanez necks no matter what guitar they are on are one of my favorites. I can say truthfully I have never played an Ibanez I didn't like.

I have played thru both amps several times with many different guitars and I prefer the Line 6 (of course I own a Line 6 half stack and love it) but the Peavey Vypyr is not a bad amp at all. I have tried every Roland amp I could find because a lot of people seem to push them on the UG and IMO they are the worse things I ever played thru I would choose any Marshall MG over a Cube and I used to think MGs were the worse. The Rolands sound so fake and cheesy it's like playing thru an old transistor AM radio. I wouldn't waste my money on one.

I truly think most people who rip on Spiders either never played thru, owend, them or never took the time to know how to use the amp to it's full potential other just jump on the band wagon. Most people can't believe the tones I get out of mine and it's because I took the time to experiment with the settings and read the directions.

I try everything! I am retired so I have all the time in the world, so I spend a lot of time bouncing around from shop to shop just looking for deals on guitars and equipment and I play anything I can get my hands on from $100.00 no name guitar to vintage Gibsons worth 1000s. I find a lot of stuff out there people don't like to be decent and stuff people push and say is the best to actually be horrible.

Like with anything you really need to go out and try several guitars and several amps and with the guitar your planning on buying and see what you like the best.

John
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
That's not completely good.. It's heavy and it's very awkward to get to the last frets..

I didn't say that I liked the weight of the real Les Pauls. I just like the big body with the single cut-away.
To the TS

Yes, since youve been playing guitar for that long, both are great staring choices. But in one year, dont expect to be satisfied. The amp and guitar a great for your level of playing, but as for future years, and upgrade will be needed.
Quote by nickdohle
To the TS

Yes, since youve been playing guitar for that long, both are great staring choices. But in one year, dont expect to be satisfied. The amp and guitar a great for your level of playing, but as for future years, and upgrade will be needed.

In order to upgrade the guitar can I just slap some nice new pups on it. I really like the white body with the black lining. I haven't found that anywhere else. Thanks much for the help everyone.
the vypyr will be the better selection. guitar should be fine...
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan