I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. A fine amp, but I want to replace the preamp with a Gallien-Krueger GK 2000CPL for that good, classic Alex Lifeson tone =P Anyways, my problem is that I'm a total newbie at doing anything to amps, and know nothing about this at all. Google searching hasn't really helped me, so I'm wondering if a) I'll be able to do this myself, b) if anyone can point me to a guide on how to do it, and c) if I need to go to someone professional to do it, how much will it cost me?

Thanks =)
From what I THINK you are asking...you could slave the power amp off of your HRDLX to power the new preamp. But you can't just (well I guess you can, but not practically) replace the preamp in an amplifier combo.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well, there is a problem with what you are describing. You don't get rid of the existing preamp (which is a vacuum tube preamp). You especially don't replace an existing tube preamp with a solid state preamp. The voltages won't work together.

I did a quick google search. Apparently the Gallien Krueger is a stand-alone guitar preamp. It is very simple to use this while completely bypassing the existing preamp.

Simply plug the 2000cpl's "Out" into the "Return" of the effects loop. Plug your guitar into the 2000cpl. This will render all but the presence and Master Volume controls useless on the amp. You also will not be able to switch to either of the deluxe's channels.
Quote by end_citizen
Well, there is a problem with what you are describing. You don't get rid of the existing preamp (which is a vacuum tube preamp). You especially don't replace an existing tube preamp with a solid state preamp. The voltages won't work together.

I did a quick google search. Apparently the Gallien Krueger is a stand-alone guitar preamp. It is very simple to use this while completely bypassing the existing preamp.

Simply plug the 2000cpl's "Out" into the "Return" of the effects loop. Plug your guitar into the 2000cpl. This will render all but the presence and Master Volume controls useless on the amp. You also will not be able to switch to either of the deluxe's channels.

Ahhh. Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks a ton =)