So, I've got my new little amp, my Vox AC4 and I honestly haven't touched my Boogie in 2 weeks I love it so much. With it I want to slowly build up some pedals.

I'm first looking to get a Delay. I have no use for it so I'm mainly looking for one to have fun with, and is quality.

I like Tom Delonge's Delays with Angels and Airwaves so, I'm into straight up rock music, nothing extreme.

Digital, Analog? What do you suggest. Thanks and Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The Carbon Copy delay is awesome, but it's got that analog sound, which I'm sure isn't AVA.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Quote by MoonBoots432
The Carbon Copy delay is awesome, but it's got that analog sound, which I'm sure isn't AVA.

Well I know for a fact Tom uses a big multi fx unit.

Whats the difference in the analog and digital delays?
Is it preference or is one better then the other?

Edit; I see the Carbon Copy and Memory Boy, both which I've heard people suggest alot on ebay for around $100.

So maybe around there.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
Well I know for a fact Tom uses a big multi fx unit.

Whats the difference in the analog and digital delays?
Is it preference or is one better then the other?

Edit; I see the Carbon Copy and Memory Boy, both which I've heard people suggest alot on ebay for around $100.

So maybe around there.

Generally, analog is considered to have a more "warmer" natural sounding delay, however a digital with nice ADA converters can emulate that just fine. You can usually do more with digital delays as well.

Personally, I'd recommend the Eventide Time Factor, as I went through some delays and found that it comes out on top by a mile.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Generally, analog is considered to have a more "warmer" natural sounding delay, however a digital with nice ADA converters can emulate that just fine. You can usually do more with digital delays as well.

Personally, I'd recommend the Eventide Time Factor, as I went through some delays and found that it comes out on top by a mile.

Ouch, $400. Sorry bro but I can't do that, haha.

In that case, the MXR carbon copy is tried and true.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
i've mainly been looking at the Memory Boy or the Carbon Copy.

Quote by tr3nt
i've mainly been looking at the Memory Boy or the Carbon Copy.

The carbon copy is overrated, it's alright but it kinda gets muddy on higher feedback settings. I own both, and the memory boy beats the carbon copy in every way.
Also check out the Mallekko 616, it's same price as the cc and also is better
Also check out the SubDecay EchoBox

I was gonna suggest the Tone Czar Echoczar... but its not cheap.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Sguit
The carbon copy is overrated, it's alright but it kinda gets muddy on higher feedback settings. I own both, and the memory boy beats the carbon copy in every way.
Also check out the Mallekko 616, it's same price as the cc and also is better

+1
The Ekko 616 is awesome. It's also the same price as the Carbon Copy.
Go for the Ekko 616 (this coming from a Carbon Copy owner.)

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
TC Electronic Nova Repeater. Im pretty sure AVA primarily uses digital delay, and with this one you can get a nice analog imitation.

EDIT: Stay away from the Carbon Copy. You can do MUCH better for the price
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by ragingkitty
Also check out the SubDecay EchoBox

I was gonna suggest the Tone Czar Echoczar... but its not cheap.

And the wait period is like 2 years. I know, I'm on it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Digital Delays

Used Line 6 DL4
Used Boss DD5, 6, or 7 (get the external tap tempo switch)
Line 6 Echo Park
Digitech Timebender (totally awesome harmonized delays, etc)
Digitech DL8

Analog Delays

MXR Carbon Copy
Malekko Ekko 616
EHX Memory Boy

Nothing on that list should cost you over $200USD. Always buy used if possible, especially with pedals, seeing as you can flip them pretty easy if you don't like them.
Quote by stratguy335
Digitech DL8
\o/

This.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
TC Electronic Nova Repeater. Im pretty sure AVA primarily uses digital delay, and with this one you can get a nice analog imitation.

EDIT: Stay away from the Carbon Copy. You can do MUCH better for the price

THIS!
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Nova is good, DL4 is good, haven't tried Mal's delay, but their reverb was incredibly better than i expected. dd-7 is a tone robbing *****. delux memory man is a no brainer, i use the maxon ad999, it's ****in sweet. carbon copy is waaaaaaay overrated/over priced, unless you want an extremely dark analog delay (and why?)... pigtronix is unique, not too shabby, but pricey. actually a lot of models fall into that category... H&K replex, t-rex replica, 2timer, visual sound h2o is pretty good. that last one can usually be found at a reasonable price used.

ignore people who tell you digital is better than analog, or vice-versa. both serve their purposes. I prefer a subtle analog on my lead ch. and agood slap back digi on some of my cleans.
I'd recommend a Carbon Copy or the Memory Boy if you're going analogue. I know the Carbon Copy gets hated on here a lot and it is quite dark but I love mine. I use it through a Vox AC4 too by the way.
Digital vs Analog - Digital will sound sterile and the repeats will be perfectly clear no matter how many repeats you have, think modest mouse. Analog will be warmer, but the repeats will degrade the further they get from the original signal, think Pink Floyd (most of the time at least.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Alexander_BR
What is your price? I think Line 6 was pretty good delay. Delay pedals are one of the few in which Digital is beter than analog.

Different, preferable for a certain situation, but certainly NOT better!
So for someone who really doesn't have a use for it and just wants to mess around..? What would you guys say.

Quote by tr3nt
So for someone who really doesn't have a use for it and just wants to mess around..? What would you guys say.

If you're just wanting to mess around with delay then I'd go digital. A lot more options and features to play around with plus some will have analog modes which will sound decent anyway.
Quote by hitl
dose the boss dd-7 really suck so much tone?

A tiny bit. It wont be noticeable or bothersome in the slightest unless youre a total audiophile.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
A Memory Boy would be great for analog, or a Memory Man if you want digital.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
A Memory Boy would be great for analog, or a Memory Man if you want digital.

The Stereo Memory Man is digital, Deluxe Memory Man is analog
Board:
yet...
you don't have a use for it yet!

play arond with onefor awhile and you'll start to think of all the cool **** you can do with it. I'd say start digital because they can generally be had for cheaper, and they're great for learning the ropes of delay (or, in other words, they really make the effect "pop out"). you can do fun and interresting rythmic things with digital. if you're looking for something that will strictly add some color and depth to your tone, go analog.

yes, the dd7 (or any dd for that matter) sucks tone like a hoover... but then again, i am an audiophile prick.
my favourite delay is the vox time machine, check those out
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by GrisKy
yet...
you don't have a use for it yet!

play arond with onefor awhile and you'll start to think of all the cool **** you can do with it. I'd say start digital because they can generally be had for cheaper, and they're great for learning the ropes of delay (or, in other words, they really make the effect "pop out"). you can do fun and interresting rythmic things with digital. if you're looking for something that will strictly add some color and depth to your tone, go analog.

yes, the dd7 (or any dd for that matter) sucks tone like a hoover... but then again, i am an audiophile prick.

Eh, I don't think it's that bad but it's definitely noticeable when used with any decent amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

there are worse things out there, sure, but it's by no means transparent.
Quote by GrisKy
there are worse things out there, sure, but it's by no means transparent.

That's pretty much what I meant. It's not anywhere near perfect but there are way worse things you can do to your tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

So I think I'm going to go digital for the time being because
- The music I hear delay in is digital, and.
- I'm just experimenting.

--
I was thinkin the Boss DD7 but people in this thread say it sucks tone, and I even saw another thread based on the DD7 sucking tone.

Now what =(

Quote by tr3nt
So I think I'm going to go digital for the time being because
- The music I hear delay in is digital, and.
- I'm just experimenting.

--
I was thinkin the Boss DD7 but people in this thread say it sucks tone, and I even saw another thread based on the DD7 sucking tone.

Now what =(

The Hardwire delay is pretty bitchin IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

do you want to go cheap, best value, or price doesn't matter?

cheap: cheapest one you can find in a pawn shop/craigslist

best value: i'm taking someone else's word on this, but i have good faith in malekko's stuff (or was that analog?), and again pawnshops. you'd be amazed at what you can find in those dumps. i'm personally not a fan of the hardwires, but others seem to like them. i suppose the same could be said of the dd7's. nova is a little more $ but worth it! tech 21... um, let's see... i'm having a brain malfunction. someone jump in on this.

price doesn't matter: well, there's really not a stompbox digital delay that's worth it that invokes the "price doesn't matter" tag. your more expensive delays will always be of the tape, followed by analog, variety. the dl4 is pricey and damn good, but i'd say find that one used. i just saw one on my CL pop up for 125 (about half price).

let me know whe you want to go analog. nightraven is prob the only other dude here who's tried as many as i have. mmolteratx knows his **** too.