I assume this is old news (It went on the Gibson website 2 days ago), but since I've seen no threads on it and search bar gave me nothing, I figured I'd plug it.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Features/janie%2Dhendrix%2Dintroduces%2D915/

Notable quotes by Janie include mentions that she looks forward to a "whole line of Jimi-inspired instruments".

The particular model mentioned was described as "colorful" and "reflective of his stage presence". Also mentioned was something about a "new way for pickups to interact", suggesting this, for Gibson, is probably gonna be the first truly strong attempt at a good fendery-style single coil, as opposed to the mild attempt involved in the SG-3 (Thinly veiled strat-SG) or the phenomenal and classic yet different style P-90s.

Opinions?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
It sounds like its gonna be cool. But half the other people here will automatically hate it..

And ive never seen the SG-3 until just now! Interesting it is. Ugly, but interesting
Last edited by nickdohle at Sep 17, 2009,
I'm not gonna immediately bail on it (I love SG's, and since they've already done his Flying V's, I have a feeling the main model they're discussing might be his SG) but I do seem a bit shaky, especially when she says it'll be a full 'line' of guitars.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
i think its odd that fender didnt do this as well
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by bellamy_morello
i think its odd that fender didnt do this as well

This. Jimi wasn't known by playing Gibsons. Yes, his Flying V was definitely unique and everything, but I think his strat is what contributed most to his sound. Who knows, it might be cool, it might not. I personally don't think Janie should have the ultimate say so, Jimi's brother definitely knew Jimi better than Janie, even if he was addicted to drugs.

*shrugs* I guess we'll just see where this goes. I particularly want to see if Fender will make a model, and ibanez (Jimi owned an ibanez way way before going to England but couldn't afford the down payments so he had to return it.)

I also kinda hate that they hold out so many vids and songs that Jimi recorded. It's frustrating because they're most likely in better quality or remastered compared to a lot of the bootlegs on youtube and such. I don't think Jimi would want his music withheld from his fans, but for it to be there for them to be inspired.
I have always been kind of leary of janie and I think its kinda dumb the whole jimi/gibson thing but its not like fender ever did much either...I mean really look at all the rest of the signature strats srv,clapton,yngwie and so on...they never really hyped jimis signature strat as much as the rest of them in my opinion....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Even if he did play an SG and V, Jimi is best known for a strat player, and his second most used guitar I believe was a tele he borrowed from Noel in the studio. Fender should be making this, not Gibson.

Still though, I'm keeping my eye on this, there's a potential it could be very win depending on how it's made.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by FallsDownStairs

I also kinda hate that they hold out so many vids and songs that Jimi recorded. It's frustrating because they're most likely in better quality or remastered compared to a lot of the bootlegs on youtube and such. I don't think Jimi would want his music withheld from his fans, but for it to be there for them to be inspired.

As long as the fans paid the right price

Chances are Gibson offer a lot more money than Fender. Or Fender didn't even make an offer to do it. Money is money, hopefully these guitars will look good.
I don't mind as long as it's not overpriced. In the article they say Jimi liked to give out guitars and invite people to watch him record. If this guitar costs an arm and a leg... that's not very Jimi.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Saying that their new guitars are "inspired by hendrix" is like how Squier's have "by Fender" on them.
It's a ploy to get more sales, even though it'll essentially not reflect the thing is has written on it.

Surely the thing about Hendrix was free spirit, non-comformaty (not in the "Oh my god, time to hang out at the bit outside of the mall, instead of the mall, cos that's lame" way) peace, loving etc etc.
And sticking Hendrixes name on a guitar that'll probably end up purple instead of the usual read to rape some sales doesn't seem to follow Hendrixes ideas, what this guitar'll do will rape people's wallets (it won't be quite as bad as the "Dean Dimebag" guitars that have so little to do with Dimebag it hurts but still) because it has Hedrix' name on it and it'll ensure everyone has a similar guitar (everyone who buys them at least, unless they make 'em look like everyother Gibson).

Don't think I'm being a "BLAH I HATE GIBSON" type, because, as much as I'm not too into Gibson, I feel the same way about anyone who needlessly rapes a name.
I'm not sure about everyone else, but if my name was on a product, I'd want it to be on something directly related to me. I'm sure Hendrix did play an SG at some point, but if anything, the guitars he played were many strats, and an iconic V.
Where do Gibson think an SG comes into it?

My rant's probably not fixing together now so I'll leave it at that
Unless this guitar sets itself on fire,it is not Hendrix.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The 'SG' Jimi played was a '61 Les Paul Custom with the SG shaped body. That and the V were used on most of his recordings. Fender can't really do a Hendrix strat because he spent sessions trying them by the hundred until he found one he liked. I know this because I had one of the rejects. (probably thrown across the room as junk). Ex-Hendrix strats were easy to come by in London in the late sixties and held no cache value. Sure, most of his appearances, he used a strat, more often than not a white one. But they were pretty standard with not much in the way of special features.
My money is on a series of V's but probably streamlined and custom painted. Or maybe the SG type as well but both having distinctive paint jobs.
Pickup integration sounds like 'buckers screwed into a pickguard instead of the normal humbucker rings. (ala Fender)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by funkyducky
notice that you can't see what guitar he's playing in any of the photos, except the glimpse of a white strat in the last pic. hendrix =/= gibson

I noticed that too.

All Gibson want is money, and whoever owns Hendrix has the same intentions.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Lurcher - that's pretty cool that you've owned one that's been played by Hendrix, even if it was briefly. How do you know it was his etc?

This seems an interesting topic, but sounds a bit too money grabbing and desperate to me. Gibson have loads of artists who are genuinely associated with them, whereas everyone immediately thinks "Strat" when they think of Hendrix.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Lurcher - that's pretty cool that you've owned one that's been played by Hendrix, even if it was briefly. How do you know it was his etc?

Well, I was in the building at the time and got it off one of his crew for £100. It was somewhere in West London around Chelsea or Fulham but I couldn't say exactly. It WAS the sixties, y'know? (if you remember the sixties, you weren't there)
Anyway, it really was junk and no wonder it was rejected.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lekz
I don't mind as long as it's not overpriced. In the article they say Jimi liked to give out guitars and invite people to watch him record. If this guitar costs an arm and a leg... that's not very Jimi.

Don't count on it. Nothing's sacred when it comes to making money. Just think of mass produced Che Guevara merchandise and Converse Cobain signature sneakers.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Lurcher
Well, I was in the building at the time and got it off one of his crew for £100. It was somewhere in West London around Chelsea or Fulham but I couldn't say exactly. It WAS the sixties, y'know? (if you remember the sixties, you weren't there)
Anyway, it really was junk and no wonder it was rejected.

A junk 60s strat?hmmm....I didn't think that was possible...lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
okay for all these guys ranting about how gibson is awful for making a hendrix guitar
hendrix said that his V was his favorite guitar of all time and he hated that his strats would never stay in tune
Quote by MLilienthal
okay for all these guys ranting about how gibson is awful for making a hendrix guitar
hendrix said that his V was his favorite guitar of all time and he hated that his strats would never stay in tune

thats why he used strats 90% of the time.
Quote by Lurcher
The 'SG' Jimi played was a '61 Les Paul Custom with the SG shaped body. That and the V were used on most of his recordings. Fender can't really do a Hendrix strat because he spent sessions trying them by the hundred until he found one he liked. I know this because I had one of the rejects. (probably thrown across the room as junk). Ex-Hendrix strats were easy to come by in London in the late sixties and held no cache value. Sure, most of his appearances, he used a strat, more often than not a white one. But they were pretty standard with not much in the way of special features.
My money is on a series of V's but probably streamlined and custom painted. Or maybe the SG type as well but both having distinctive paint jobs.
Pickup integration sounds like 'buckers screwed into a pickguard instead of the normal humbucker rings. (ala Fender)

You are aware most of Are You Experienced? was recorded on a tele borrowed from Noel, most widely written about being Hey Joe and Purple Haze, the two songs that made him a hit in the US, right? I have this from Gibson themselves too, I don't think they'd make something up that was the equivalent of saying "Hendrix's classic sound was made with another brand".

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by culkid
thats why he used strats 90% of the time.

don't question me question him it came out of his mouth
apparently he got really stressed out about his strats
obviously he liked them or he wouldn't of used them but he has said on record that his V was his favorite guitar
"Creating this new guitar is continuing Jimi’s practice of giving back to people. He’d go to Manny’s Music store in New York to make himself available to young musicians or invite them to his studio to watch him record. He also gave away guitars or bought them for young players"

Reading that quote I can't help but partly wish I had been born and in a music store when Jimi walked in, but at the same time they are making these guitars for gibson to give back?! Wtf, gibson is going to charge thousands of dollars for them, that isn't what I'd call giving back.

Heres looking forward to previously unreleased material though!
Quote by MLilienthal
don't question me question him it came out of his mouth
apparently he got really stressed out about his strats
obviously he liked them or he wouldn't of used them but he has said on record that his V was his favorite guitar

Please link that, because I really do find that hard to believe considering his general recording preference according to Eddie Kramer and his general live preferences according to videos.

You guys are the same old same old.

Jimi Hendrix does not equal Fender nor Gibson. His music is separate from his gear. That's why you don't hear much of him in this forum - he's a sound-addict not gear-fanatic.

Hmm? What did you say? I'm having a hard time hearing you over all the cash registers.
Quote by herraotic
You guys are the same old same old.

Jimi Hendrix does not equal Fender nor Gibson. His music is separate from his gear. That's why you don't hear much of him in this forum - he's a sound-addict not gear-fanatic.

You haven't really read a single post in this thread, have you?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
already a thread about this
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Technically, this one came first =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Janie Hendrix is a crook and this is all about the money. If she cared at all about Jimi and his music she wouldn't have allowed unfinished recordings to be bastardized and released while hording away untold amounts of real recordings and video footage.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I just think it's funny that Gibson made a whole big deal about the PRS single cut and now decide to release these guitars.
Quote by al112987
I just think it's funny that Gibson made a whole big deal about the PRS single cut and now decide to release these guitars.

Yeah, that case was really hilarious when a Gibson representative said (about the PRS Singlecut they had sued) something like: "Only an idiot would confuse it with a Les Paul".
That's obviously true, the shapes aren't even that similar, and sound-wise they're pretty different; only Gibson could sue PRS for making a guitar only because they're both singlecuts (but we know it was because the PRS is miles ahead theirs and they were afraid of competition). And we all know who won

They're quite hypocritical, if you ask me.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by funkyducky
notice that you can't see what guitar he's playing in any of the photos, except the glimpse of a white strat in the last pic. hendrix =/= gibson

Basicly what I was thinking.