Dimarzio pickups.

I am still, after months, planning on upgrading the pickups in my Epi LP Custom.

I think Dimarzio is the brand I'm after, and I need some tonal help.

I'm going to be using this guitar for, mainly;

hard rock
"classic" rock
progressive whatever ( a la Buckethead)

less often , but still, played genres;
grunge
blues
metal

I'll screw around in other genres too but those are some of my mainstays.

For the Bridge I'm thinking an Air Zone or Tone Zone.

And for the neck I'm thinking an Air Norton or PAF Joe.

I want a slightly thicker tone in the bridge, that retains clarity.
I'm also not a fan of fighting for pinch harmonics.
Good cleans are nice too.

In the neck, I need some thing with great cleans, thats fat, but clean.
The stock pickup in there right now is just terribly muddy.

I actually have some money right now, not too much though. And a $200 refund check from Guitar Center thanks to some crappy gear, which I'm spending part of on a Bad Horsie 2.

So while we're (?) on the subject, any horror stories/praises for the Bad Horsie 2?

EDIT:
I have a Marshall MG 50 DFX (don't be hatin)
I live in Texas.
Last edited by Dehydrated Wate at Sep 17, 2009,
first, buckethead ≠ progressive, i dont care what wikipedia says. Also i will hate because you needin a new amp. I would get Duncan's anyway (JB/59), i have an RGA121 with Dimarzio Evo2/PAF Pro, and dont get me wrong, they're good, but i like my ESP LTD with the Duncans a little more. If you want a better metal/rock tone, go for the duncans. If you want a warmer tone (but less clarity) go for the dimarzios.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
first, buckethead ≠ progressive, i dont care what wikipedia says. Also i will hate because you needin a new amp. I would get Duncan's anyway (JB/59), i have an RGA121 with Dimarzio Evo2/PAF Pro, and dont get me wrong, they're good, but i like my ESP LTD with the Duncans a little more. If you want a better metal/rock tone, go for the duncans. If you want a warmer tone (but less clarity) go for the dimarzios.

So basically do the opposite of everything i just specified?
Quote by Dehydrated Wate
So basically do the opposite of everything i just specified?

well... you listed hard rock and classic rock first, and i think the Duncans are better for that.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
well... you listed hard rock and classic rock first, and i think the Duncans are better for that.

ok, so what SDs would you suggest?
Quote by Dehydrated Wate
ok, so what SDs would you suggest?

JB (B) is good for heavy stuff, a lot of bite to it, and the '59 (N) is pretty good for leads.

- or -

a Duncan Custom-5 (B) and a Jazz (N) is another good combo but i really dont have a lot of experience with them. so i would recommend the JB/59

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
So I think, for anyone reading this, my new question is which is warmer/ fatter:
the Air Zone
or the Tone Zone?

Im just not really diggin Duncans right now. I don't know...
First off, pickups are not for changing your tone, they are for complementing and augmenting it. And they can't even do very much of that on an amp like the MG. Think about a new amp first, because you'll just be wasting your money with the pickups.
Quote by Dehydrated Wate

I have a Marshall MG 50 DFX

i know you dont want to hear it but you're going to anyway.

changing your amp will be of greater benefit to whatever tone you seek than trying to find a set of pickups to play thru your current amp. with that being said i'd recommend a tube amp instead of a solidstate amp, like the mg, for the tones you seek. upgrade your amp, then your pickups.
Quote by noisefarmer
i know you dont want to hear it but you're going to anyway.

changing your amp will be of greater benefit to whatever tone you seek than trying to find a set of pickups to play thru your current amp. with that being said i'd recommend a tube amp instead of a solidstate amp, like the mg, for the tones you seek. upgrade your amp, then your pickups.

When say that I have some money I mean about $150.
Not really too much, but some.

I will get a new amp eventually, I'll probably sell this one but, that is a little further down the line.

It's not that bad, well it's bad, but not that bad. And yeah, I'd love a tube amp, I'd also love some better pickups.
One of these things is easier to accomplish than the other at the moment.
if u go dimarzio get the air classic for neck and bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0eMwRAtfE
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Dehydrated Wate
When say that I have some money I mean about $150.
Not really too much, but some.

I will get a new amp eventually, I'll probably sell this one but, that is a little further down the line.

It's not that bad, well it's bad, but not that bad. And yeah, I'd love a tube amp, I'd also love some better pickups.
One of these things is easier to accomplish than the other at the moment.

well since a new amp would be much more beneficial than new pickups i'd recommend saving up the money for a new amp instead of wasting it on new pickups, and yes it is wasting it because you started this thread asking for tonal help and your tone will be greatly improved with a new amp, so much more so than new pickups thru your mg. not having enough money for a new amp is understandable though, which is why they invented piggybanks.
get a tone zone for the bridge and a fred for the neck and be happy
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
If you want to get your harmonics easy then a Evo PU is the one to get. Ever since I put mine in harmonics have been sooooo easy to get anywhere.

Great overall PU IMO.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If you want to get your harmonics easy then a Evo PU is the one to get. Ever since I put mine in harmonics have been sooooo easy to get anywhere.

Great overall PU IMO.

im going to put an evo set in a continuous ( lack of money) project Ibanez thing.
A combination I have also been thinking about is the Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge...
again, any problems BESIDES my amp?