Page 1 of 5
what does the pit think about this? do americans have an accent? personally i think no, we're the only ones that have absolutely no accent. (unless its a weird american like new yorker accent or something)
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
you're joking right? i guess you've never been down south.

im quite certain the english "accent" is how it should sound. since you know... thats where it originated
LOL. You don't think you have an accent because YOU have that accent.

You're not the center of the world...
I thought so. New Yorker, someone from New Jersey, people from the south, Texans, ect.

I don't know what mid-westerners sound like though. I think I've lived here for too long.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
yeah but i was thinking about it and from what ive gathered, americans do the best impressions of any other language, so from that ive concluded that we have no accent
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.

EVERYONE has an accent.

Even Stephen Hawking. And hes a wheelchairboundmonotonaldisabledphysicsgeniusfreak
Quote by frozen_soul
yeah but i was thinking about it and from what ive gathered, americans do the best impressions of any other language, so from that ive concluded that we have no accent

well you've concluded wrong
Quote by frozen_soul
what does the pit think about this? do americans have an accent? personally i think no, we're the only ones that have absolutely no accent. (unless its a weird american like new yorker accent or something)

New York is not apart of America.

The only part of the country that has the possibility of being deemed "accent-free" is the Midwest.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
They believe they are. Oh god, they believe they are.

Generalizing stereotype is generalized.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
well you've concluded wrong

thats what you think!

edit: and no i dont think im special because im american so please stop making every excuse to flame americans
Quote by Marshmelllow

Americans have accents especially in the south.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by XnaySaturo
LOL. You don't think you have an accent because YOU have that accent.

You're not the center of the world...

This.

TS is a prick.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I jack off onto store aisles, hoping some b*tch will slip and get prego. It's sort of a hobby of mine.
Quote by frozen_soul

Yes because America is two fucking continents!

Quote by NakedInTheRain
They believe they are. Oh god, they believe they are.

Oh yeah, every single person in north and south america?
Quote by simmy17
Yes because America is two fucking continents!

Political Correctness ftw!
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Yes. It's called an american accent.

Forward slash thread.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
everyone has an accent depending on their region
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
But America was founded by the English, so wouldn't they have the proper accent, because they were SPEAKING IT FIRST?!

EDIT: This is not actually my argument. I believe that there is no such thing as a neutral accent.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
But America was founded by the English, so wouldn't they have the proper accent, because they were SPEAKING IT FIRST?!

No, because they sound way funny.

Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Le_Bunny
No man America is soooo the middle of the universe.

Of course they do, there is no standard accent except what each person perceives: their own. People from different areas of the same country can sound very different.

yeah i guess, to me it just didnt seem like people from my area have an accent. and seeing as other types of americans do have noticeable accents
Quote by Marshmelllow

for everyone that thinks im so cool because im american, just please stop posting. this isnt the case and i know the pit jumps at every chance to flame an american
Quote by Marshmelllow

I am a citizen of the US. I have lived here my entire life. I have been told I have an accent.
its called smugness
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by frozen_soul

Are you kidding? Americans are terrible at accents. Everyone who can turn an r into an "ah" thinks he can do a spotless British accent and everyone who can quote Crocodile Dundee thinks he's nailed the Australian accent.

Other countries seem to have a much easier time sounding like us than we do sounding like them, so even if your logic made sense it would still be incorrect. The only reason it seems like we don't have an accent is because it's the one that we have. We sound as foreign to other English speakers as they do to us.
Yes, Americans have accents which are greatly varied across the country, all of which greatly deviate from the original, proper pronounciation of English. Even the most phonetically correct accent would still be an accent, and every single person pronounces words differently.
EDIT: I concur, there is no such thing as a neutral accent, though i don't know anyone with a stereotypical aussie accent. Some of my friends have interesting accents, some which sound partially American, others which sound more British, etc. as they have lived overseas at some point in their life.
Last edited by funkyducky at Sep 17, 2009,
It's impossible not to have an accent. Every person who is able to speak a language has an accent.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by frozen_soul
the pit jumps at every chance to flame an american

yeah that's why you're recieving so much flak for this
Quote by madbasslover
Are you kidding? Americans are terrible at accents. Everyone who can turn an r into an "ah" thinks he can do a spotless British accent and everyone who can quote Crocodile Dundee thinks he's nailed the Australian accent.

Other countries seem to have a much easier time sounding like us than we do sounding like them, so even if your logic made sense it would still be incorrect. The only reason it seems like we don't have an accent is because it's the one that we have. We sound as foreign to other English speakers as they do to us.

well ive personally been to england and when mimicking the english accent i was actually told by several people that it sounded very real.
Quote by Marshmelllow

Page 1 of 5