I want to change my pickups in my mim strat. There's two pickup sets I like, the premium vintage set and the alnico stagger set. is there a big diffrence in sound? Thanks
Quote by Scarface735
I want to change my pickups in my mim strat. There's two pickup sets I like, the premium vintage set and the alnico stagger set. is there a big diffrence in sound? Thanks

The main difference I see is what they say on the page for the stagger set.

Don't forget about our even HIGHER END Premium set- for about $20 more you get fiber bobbins, beveled polepieces, enamel wire and real beeswax potting.

The potting will help them from being microphonic and they will probably a bit more vintagy feel. The premiums have samples to listen to, so if you like the sound of them, get those. At least you know what they sound like and its only $15 more from the stagger set.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
well i have the hot alnico staggers and premium overwound set which i love , the diff is the magnets are beveled on the top the staggers are not ,more of a square cylinder shape top on them, potted with paraffin ,opposed to beeswax and the premiums have fiberboard bobbins and the staggers have probably plastic or something .sound wise i found the premiums more dynamic sounding worth the extra money main thing i did not like about the staggers were the bridge sounded kinda thin sounding,,,,,,,,......... i heard alot of hype around here about the greybottom sets
Last edited by copperhead at Sep 19, 2009,