Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new guitar. I've been playing an Ibanez GRG 170 DX but now I do not have it with me any more.

I play all kinds of stuff from metal(Bodom etc.) to rock ( AC/DC) to even stuff like oasis.

I am at an intermediate level of guitar plying so I thought I'd buy a better guitar.

My budget is around 400 $ but it can be stretched if the guitar is worth it.

I am a lefty so the options I have are a bit limited. I was planning to buy a Ibanez RG5EX1 but Ive only read bad things about the edge 3 tremolo.

Also, on my older guitar ( grg 170 dx) one issue i faced often was that whenever i used the whammy the guitar would go horribly out of tune. so i thought i'd buy a guitar with some locking system but then ive also read that its very difficult to change strings and tuning on such guitars.

so if any one has any suggestions as to what kinds of guitars to look at, theyre welcome.
im an ibanez player myself but ill tell you not to go with it....i have a prestige and its great but to get something good from ibanez you need to fork out AT LEAST $700

the edge III sucks balls, big balls to say the very least
Start bylooking at Jackson guitars. They do lefty versions of most models, and their licences locking floyd rose trems are awesome, at least on the few we have in my band. I currently have the KXV king V with trem and it's never fallen out of tune using the whammy bar
ehhh jacksons=maple fingerboard=epic fail

also those licensed floyds die within the year lol
RG350? my friend has one and they're great. play so well. the stock p'ups arent bad either. we've used his for everything from pop to metal via blues rock punk and more.
i say you should go with schecter...GREAT guitars and not very expensive...
Quote by texzephyr
RG350? my friend has one and they're great. play so well. the stock p'ups arent bad either. we've used his for everything from pop to metal via blues rock punk and more.

if you EVER play one of ibanez's guitars equipped with the edge-pro you will instantly say the edge III sucks big time lol
thanks for all the replies....

first of all i dont think that i can get the RG 350 in a lefty model.

also, looking at the posts above ibanez has problems with the trem and one guy said that the jackson has a maple fingerboard so its bad.

so what is a person supposed to buy for 400 $ ???
Consider Cort X-6 or KX-5 FR. They'd be around your budget and a pup swap down the line would do no harm. The trem is good and general quality, playability and attention to detail us excellent.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

im lefty!

im telling you likee the $700 i payed for my 1570 is sooooo worth it...

but with 400 i would say you should look into a schecter...now MUST you have a double locking system?
If you're a heavy tremolo user, I'd go with a locking system regardless of how difficult it is to restring and tune. Any way you look at it, it beats having to retune once every few minutes of usage. Original Floyd Rose is a safe bet.

Other than that, there are various things you need to take into consideration when choosing a guitar; tone (wood, pickups...), aesthetics, fret size, neck size, etc. If you're going to follow the advice of forumers about which guitar to buy, you will be buying what they like and not what you like, so I'd look into it first if I were you.
hmmm.... im still not really sure about the double locking system but from what i understand it keeps ur guitar in tune even when u use the tremolo quite often, hence i was interested in buying a double locking trem. im still new with all this stuff even though ive been playing guitar for quite a while .....
Quote by Dynamight
If you're a heavy tremolo user, I'd go with a locking system regardless of how difficult it is to restring and tune. Any way you look at it, it beats having to retune once every few minutes of usage. Original Floyd Rose is a safe bet.

Other than that, there are various things you need to take into consideration when choosing a guitar; tone (wood, pickups...), aesthetics, fret size, neck size, etc. If you're going to follow the advice of forumers about which guitar to buy, you will be buying what they like and not what you like, so I'd look into it first if I were you.

hey its not even what i like man...im taking all of that into consideration....thats why im saying schecter would be this kids best bet
Originally Posted by Dynamight
If you're a heavy tremolo user, I'd go with a locking system regardless of how difficult it is to restring and tune. Any way you look at it, it beats having to retune once every few minutes of usage.

thats what i thought and hence i wanted to go with a locking system.... as far as the other things go i was quite happy with my old ibanez and hence was thinking of continuing with ibanez itself....
Quote by sam32708
hey its not even what i like man...im taking all of that into consideration....thats why im saying schecter would be this kids best bet

I wasn't addressing that to you or anyone in particular beside the OP. As for you taking all that into consideration, it's not your job to do so but his. You don't know what tone he's after or what sizes he needs, so you can't choose for him.
ahh well honestly it sounds crazy buit you might just want to save up till you have some more money...unless you want to have to change out your trem in a year or two lol
Quote by sam32708
ehhh jacksons=maple fingerboard=epic fail

*insert some stupid pear*

What are you talking about?
Quote by Dynamight
I wasn't addressing that to you or anyone in particular beside the OP. As for you taking all that into consideration, it's not your job to do so but his. You don't know what tone he's after or what sizes he needs, so you can't choose for him.

rock and metal instantly is needs a mahogany bodied guitar...and im NOT telling him what to get, its just a suggestion so lay off
well i kinda dont have access to my old guitar now... and im dying to play so Id like to buy a guitar soon and 400 - 450 $ maxis what i can spend....

as far as tone goes... i like the tone that ibanez has..... do schecter guitars have a very deep tone that can play only metal or is it possible to play other genres on it...?? ive never played a schecter before..
Quote by azn_guitarist25
*insert some stupid pear*

What are you talking about?

for the music this kid wants to play?
maple fingerboards are GREAT for liike jazz and blues and funk and stuff like that...NOT rock and metal
Quote by sam32708
for the music this kid wants to play?
maple fingerboards are GREAT for liike jazz and blues and funk and stuff like that...NOT rock and metal

You don't actually think that do you? :S I mean yeah fretboards make a difference with tone i'm not arguing that but it's not like they are only meant for certain genre's **** I think that's why amps have equalizers on them so you can mould your sound to what you want.
yeah its prettty thick..and not that heavy as far as the body goes too.
they are good and there are a few that come with REAL seymore duncan pickups
Quote by sam32708
rock and metal instantly is needs a mahogany bodied guitar...and im NOT telling him what to get, its just a suggestion so lay off

Ironic telling me to lay off after you jumped on my post which wasn't addressed to you. As for rock and metal needing a mahogany body, that's just your opinion; a lot of rock and metal musicians play with all kinds of woods. Actually, mahogany provides a warmer tone and metal players generally go for brighter tones.
Last edited by Dynamight at Sep 18, 2009,
i know im gonna sound like a noob here but i thought that jackson guitars were good for playing metal....
Quote by trojansc
i know im gonna sound like a noob here but i thought that jackson guitars were good for playing metal....

There is no specific brand that is good for playing a specific genre. Jackson, like most brands, have guitars for metal as much as they have guitars for other styles.
Quote by Dynamight
Ironic telling me to lay off after you jumped on my post which wasn't addressed to you. As for rock and metal needing a mahogany body, that's just your opinion; a lot of rock and metal musicians play with all kinds of woods. Actually, mahogany provides a warmer tone and metal players generally go for brighter tones.

thats true but think about it...most metal players have killer bright amps with a lot of treble..and they need a mahogany body so its not like overkill...and its much thicker tone with more sustain...
hmmm... guess ill take a look at some schecter guitars..... so let me get this straight ... there is absolutely no sense in going for an ibanez which has an edge 3 bridge???
well nooo..if you take really good care of it and know what your doing you would be just fine...
but im just saying if it's your first time owning a double locking system then it might start to suck after a while if you dont know how to care for it..
i wouldn't go for a guitar with a floyd if it's your only guitar because it takes ages t change tunings and it's just not a good idea if you don't own a fixed bridge guitar. Anyway, look into Schecter, Jackson or Ibanez.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
hey,

i was just doing a quick search online on these schecter guitars and the guitars in the 400$ range dont seem to have whammy bars on them.... is that right ??
Quote by sam32708
thats true but think about it...most metal players have killer bright amps with a lot of treble..and they need a mahogany body so its not like overkill...and its much thicker tone with more sustain...

That still doesn't mean they need a mahogany body. Jeff Loomis (a metal guitarist) uses a Schecter with an Ash body. I can show you plenty of other examples. If you like the tone you get from mahogany, that's your choice, but it doesn't have to be everyone's.
Quote by trojansc
hey,

i was just doing a quick search online on these schecter guitars and the guitars in the 400$ range dont seem to have whammy bars on them.... is that right ??

I doubt it. Most Schecter models have FR and non-FR edition, and the price range is the same.
yea but only one thing...Jeff is like beyond skilled and needs all of his notes to speak perfectly..im assuming this kid is not like pulling off sweeps while he sleeps...
my bad... found it.... but the way things are going looks like ill have to buy my guitar online....
Quote by sam32708
yea but only one thing...Jeff is like beyond skilled and needs all of his notes to speak perfectly..im assuming this kid is not like pulling off sweeps while he sleeps...

It doesn't matter, there's no rule that says mahogany is better for metal and rock, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Let it go.
Quote by Dynamight
It doesn't matter, there's no rule that says mahogany is better for metal and rock, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Let it go.

Big big big +1 there's no set rules of woods that you must use for whatever genre/skill you play at.

And ts you really don't have much great stuff around with regards to a tremolo and being in left handed but this is my recommendation http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-6-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-518182-i1149926.gc if you were a righty then you would be able to get much more for your cash but alas the world is a cruel cruel place.

edit:
Quote by sam32708
well yeah but you cant "EQ" the pop you get from maple fingerboards

Holy ****ing lol. Seriously even I have no idea how to handle this post. I own guitars with both rosewood and maple fretboards, I am able to play both blues/metal/funk/classical/pop/rock on them all it doesn't matter what wood the guitar has as long as the player has the right mind then they can play whatever they want on it.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Sep 18, 2009,
Unless of course, you go for a custom guitar. Then you can get whatever combination you want, but it's probably above your price range.
Page 1 of 2