today my teacher used the word "quasi" in class, and he pronounced it "qua-saai" (as in "ken-sai") and I had an inkling that it was wrong, it just sounded so weird. I pronounce it "qua-si" (the spanish "si" [yes]) and I looked it up and it was right!

(I've always pronounced it 'qua-si', because of the similarly named band, and I haven't heard that word before, or maybe i've heard it unconsciously).

but yeah. I think there's a "gist" in a language, to guess pronounciations correctly, like if you asked me to guess the pronounciations of latin words, I can't, because of my unfamiliarity with it. It's like within a language (or at least the English language), there are certain 'blanket sounds' that correspond with certain syllable formations (like 'ish' or 'euce') that one unconsciously follows.

Is there a rule as to how words are pronounced?
It doesn't make sense, as the -si in "quasi" is pronounced the way it is, but it is pronouced like "ken-sai" in "side". Maybe because it's followed by a consonant. idk.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
We love Kensai.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I think your teacher might be slightly retarded.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Not sure if relevant to my interest...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You're both pronouncing it fine. You just emphasise the i differently from one another.

I would say say it how you say it as well. And there are some rules to how words are pronounced, but English often confounds them.

Some languages are easy like that. In Italian, once you've learnt the rules, you can pretty much work out how to say it from the spelling. English not so much

Quote by Zero-Hartman
I think your teacher might be slightly retarded.

Because she says quas-eye? lots of people say it like that. It's just a different way of pronouncing I. like I when you say 'I went to the shops'.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I mispronounce a lot of words. Sometimes when I see words I don't know how they're meant to be pronounced.

Ibanez is one of those. It's a spanish name, so I say ee-banez, whereas everyone else says the more anglicized I-banez.

I also read some words incorrectly. When I first read the word "Rhapsody" I misread it as something like "Rasphody".
Last edited by sashki at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by meh!
You're both pronouncing it fine. You just emphasise the i differently from one another.

I would say say it how you say it as well. And there are some rules to how words are pronounced, but English often confounds them.

Some languages are easy like that. In Italian, once you've learnt the rules, you can pretty much work out how to say it from the spelling. English not so much

Because she says quas-eye? lots of people say it like that. It's just a different way of pronouncing I. like I when you say 'I went to the shops'.

I dunno, I just can't imagine how you can say "ken-sai" when it's spelt "quasi". But then again, I'm not too sure on where Laces Out Danny lives.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Man I've heard it pronounced "kwa-zai" tons of times so that's how I say it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
one that really winds me up is the American way of pronouncing aluminium, "aloominum", completely misses out the second i. oh and leisure, "leesure" wtf. Then again where I'm from in England (Essex) we tend not to pronounce the h's at the start of words, so...
Your teacher is a pronunciation na-zai.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
I looked it up and it was right!
You are actually wrong.

Wrong for thinking there is only one accepted pronunciation.

Pronunciation: \ˈkwā-ˌzī, -ˌsī; ˈkwä-zē, -sē\

kwey-zahy, -sahy, kwah-see, -zee

kweɪzaɪ
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've always been pretty good at pronouncing words, and reading words from text that' I've never come across before. I find it really annoying when in school someone is reading aloud in class while everyone else reads along as well, and they stumble on the simplest of words.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You are actually wrong.

Wrong for thinking there is only one accepted pronunciation.

Pronunciation: \ˈkwā-ˌzī, -ˌsī; ˈkwä-zē, -sē\

kwey-zahy, -sahy, kwah-see, -zee

kweɪzaɪ

I dunno man, that sounds pretty kray-sai
Quote by shattamakar
Your teacher is a pronunciation na-zai.

Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by Laces Out Danny
(as in "ken-sai")

How is that pronounced, anyway? I've always said it "Ken-say."
this is what the pit has come to?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I'm Scottish - We don't care about pronunciation because everything comes out as a drunken slur.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.