Hi everyone, i m a first timer here. I ve played many years with '78 u.s made strato, mostly rock and alternative rock. I ve manage to save some money and i would like to buy a new guitar.The amount i m willing to spend goes up to 3.500. I was thinking of the PRS 513. Do u think it's worth the money or is it a bit overated? What whould you suggest instead? Thank u in advance.
Last edited by jimias at Sep 18, 2009,
for 3500 you could go to a custom shop and get anything you want done
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
maybe just a PRS 24 custom, the 513 isn't that much better. Les Paul Custom maybe, or a really nice custom shop strat. But all of these come in way under your budget.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Suhr, Tom Anderson, Vigier, Caparison, Ibanez J.Custom, ESP, PRS, Dave McNaught (may be out of your budget), James Tyler Guitars, Michael Tuttle Guitars, Carvin, Zion guitars.

Your budget allows you to pretty much nearly get whatever you want, the best thing you can do now is to find a dealer that has a lot of high end quality gear and then try them out and see which one you like more, then research a bit more and keep on repeating.
Ernie Ball Music Man Axis guitars OR custom made guitar from Carvin, etc.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
First of all i wanna thank u all for your replies.I have to say its been a great help.So i checked out some online custom shops and finally came down to two. Carvin guitars and Warmoth. Whould you prefer one over the other or are they of the same quality level?
Well Warmoth pretty much only do bolt on guitars so if you want a set neck or a neck thru guitar then Warmoth you'll give a miss. I'm not too sure on how they compared to each other quality wise.
Go Carvin is what I will recommend yer
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Carvin.

No questions asked.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
If you've played for a long time with a Strat, I assume you find that shape most comfortable and best looking?

You'd love some of the guitars Suhr make - a lot of the the pro series and moderns should be within your price range.
I'd go with carvin over warmoth, I prefer set/neckthroughs and warmoth doesn't make those. I also love carvin's shapes and they give you a lot of options for a good price. Just go on their site, and you can basically customize a guitar and get a quote.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Oh come on you Carvin wh0res. The man has 3.5k to spend, he can seriously do alot better than Carvin. Go Suhr, Anderson or Tyler. That's my advice. PRS is nice too, but imo not as good as those 3.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Oh come on you Carvin wh0res. The man has 3.5k to spend, he can seriously do alot better than Carvin. Go Suhr, Anderson or Tyler. That's my advice. PRS is nice too, but imo not as good as those 3.

He said his final choice is between Warmoth or Carvin.
Quote by jimias
Hi everyone, i m a first timer here. I ve played many years with '78 u.s made strato, mostly rock and alternative rock. I ve manage to save some money and i would like to buy a new guitar.The amount i m willing to spend goes up to 3.500. I was thinking of the PRS 513. Do u think it's worth the money or is it a bit overated? What whould you suggest instead? Thank u in advance.

If you like strats and prefer them, and you have $3,500 to spend. I'd recommend either custom shop, or the EJ models (Best production strat I've played and owned and is on par with their custom shop).

Or look at Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, or Ormsby. Ormsby will do whatever you want with your custom guitar.

Quote by Vlasco

He said his final choice is between Warmoth or Carvin.

Because almost everyone here suggested Carvin. I'd tell him to look at Suhr, they have amazing guitars. Ormsby does too.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
If you like strats and prefer them, and you have $3,500 to spend. I'd recommend either custom shop, or the EJ models.

Yes, I think it's common thought that perhaps you pay a lot more than a custom shop than you actually should be... because it's a custom shop. Yes the difference is there, but not necessarily worth it at the price.

All in all... when your spending this much and aren't certain what you'd like, I'd reccomend trying as many of the brands listed here as you can till you work out what you like the best.

You've got a good range of guitars to try here now, so it's best you start trying to decide!
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Because almost everyone here suggested Carvin. I'd tell him to look at Suhr, they have amazing guitars. Ormsby does too.

Only 2 people, both of which mentioned other brands in their lists...

I honestly wouldn´t spend this much money without knowing exactly what I was looking for.
Last edited by Vlasco at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Vlasco
Only 2 people, both of which mentioned other brands in their lists...

I honestly wouldn´t spend this much money without knowing exactly what I was looking for.

I counted 5, 2 of which mentioned other brands. The other 3 stated only Carvin.

I agree with your second statement. TS obviously doesn't know what he wants really (well he did say PRS. So I'd say go for a high end PRS. They're great guitars and well worth the money). So I don't see why he should spend so much on something he doesn't know that he wants.
Honestly, I would suggest not even making a purchase for a couple months. You have a lot of work to do. If you're going to put down that much money on a guitar, you would be a complete and utter moron to not get the absolute best guitar in the world for you. Also, just because you have 3500 to spend doesn't mean you should get a guitar that costs 3500. I would suggest going as low as 2500 as well
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I counted 5, 2 of which mentioned other brands. The other 3 stated only Carvin.

I agree with your second statement. TS obviously doesn't know what he wants really (well he did say PRS. So I'd say go for a high end PRS. They're great guitars and well worth the money). So I don't see why he should spend so much on something he doesn't know that he wants.

The three that didn´t mention brands were after he narrowed it to Warmoth and Carvin though...
You could always check out some Gibson Reissues.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
the 513 is a tone monster. it'll sound like whatever you'd like it to. they're very cool guitars. if you get one i'll be extremely jealous haha the only part i dislike would be the inlays.

anyway, the custom guitar is a very real possibility. warmoth does some amazing stuff, as long as you're ok with having a bolt on.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Vlasco
The three that didn´t mention brands were after he narrowed it to Warmoth and Carvin though...

Exactly the ts put up what he was currently thinking and people replied with what they thought. Obviously plenty of other guitar brands were mentioned in my previous post but that takes ages to go through.
Thank u all for your replies.Every single opinion counts to me.Alot of posts suggested to try out everything before buying anything. Well thats the case for many brands like gibson, fender,ibanez,prs and so on but not the case for custom brands.See i live in greece and here i cant get my hands on a warmoth or carvin guitar.And that was exactly the purpose of this thread.To get the opinion of someone who have tried something else. Finally azn what do u have against prs?is it that they are too expensive for what they offer or just what they offer that you dont like?cause there is a big difference between those two.I cant believe that a 3.500$ instrument like 513 will sound like crap.I ve tried out some prs way down that cost and it was pretty good.Let me know your thoughts.
Quote by jimias
Finally azn what do u have against prs?is it that they are too expensive for what they offer or just what they offer that you dont like?cause there is a big difference between those two.I cant believe that a 3.500$ instrument like 513 will sound like crap.I ve tried out some prs way down that cost and it was pretty good.Let me know your thoughts.

I don't remember saying anything bad about the 513, I love PRS guitars and will be owning a couple by end of next year hopefully. The PRS I played felt perfect so they are great instrument.
Quote by dukeofmetal
for 3500 you could go to a custom shop and get anything you want done

Nope.

You could get a pretty basic guitar (i.e Alder body, maple neck, rosewood/ebony/maple fretboard, normal wiring and HH, HSH, HSS, HS, SSS, SS, S config) for it, but anything truly custom will cost way more.

I'd suggest getting a used Suhr or Vigier.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
you could order a custom conklin or sherman. custom made for you to your specs. those are some of the most exotic guitars you can get. each one can be made in a new shape if you want. any exotic wood you can think of. as many strings as you want. tom anderson, suhr, and ken nash are the 3 best custom shops to get a strat. master builders who go through every part on a guitar to make it better. the tom anderson has a sick bridge that lets you bend the crap out of the strings without breaking or going out of tune. nash does relics very well but they play like a fender master built. Rico Jr are pretty cool custom shop also. caparison and esp have the nicest high end guitars in japan. the neck through guitars with thin neck in satin finish. whoooooaa you gotta play one. the neck is fast. really masterbuillt instruments. the 513 is nice but its not even a custom shop. also check out the new EVH EVH. very similar to a ernie ball music man axis super sport. if you get a music man, get the axis or the petrucci in ball family reserve (like ernie ball custom shop).

EDIT: you could do better than warmoth or carvin. warmoth sells parts. not exactly a custom shop, although they will build you a guitar. ken nash gets his stuff from warmoth but he IS a master builder. the final setup is what makes the difference.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Sep 21, 2009,
I'd consider a 10 top PRS Custom 24. Very versatile guitars. If an Anderson is available, that's a great ax too. If you want further versatility, then something with Piezo pups in it for an acoustic tone as well. Dark Fire maybe, one of the PRS models have it, the semi hollow I believe. (Hybrid guitar)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
10 tops are cool but its almost not worth it just for looks. it doesn't really improve the sound much. also, I have seen killer tops on a few prs that were not rated 10 top. also saw some 10 tops that I really dont think should have been 10 tops at all. I think the biggest upgrade on a prs is the rosewood neck. the whole neck, not just the fretboard
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
10 tops are cool but its almost not worth it just for looks. it doesn't really improve the sound much. also, I have seen killer tops on a few prs that were not rated 10 top. also saw some 10 tops that I really dont think should have been 10 tops at all. I think the biggest upgrade on a prs is the rosewood neck. the whole neck, not just the fretboard

I agree on the rosewood neck. But recently had a whale blue 10 top at hand and that guitar was amazing. Don't just buy it because it's a 10, try to see one and make your own judgement TS. Some of my reasoning is regarding resale value, which should always be a concern with any purchase of this magnitude.