So I've read through the ultimate pedalbuilding thread

I've decided imma start by building This and This

Anyway has anyone had experience with these?
What are they like?
Any tips for a first timer?

Also what's the difference between a 125b enclosure and a 1590b?

And in the clean boost it says mount the PCB with double sided tape...can anyone elaborate?
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Last edited by hendrixftw at Sep 18, 2009,
Make a list of all your circuit components, and tick each one off as you solder them in, then go through and check that each is right and tick them off again.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
both of those are really easy, and really good for learning

start with the A/B switch. that'll get you a little more familiar with offboard wiring (geting all the wires from the jacks/ switch/ LEDs in order and relatively neat inside the box)

then move on to the CB1. it's still a really simple build, but it's a little more involved, because you'll be populating the PCB, as well as offboard wiring.

take it slowly, and you should do just fine
Quote by james4
both of those are really easy, and really good for learning

start with the A/B switch. that'll get you a little more familiar with offboard wiring (geting all the wires from the jacks/ switch/ LEDs in order and relatively neat inside the box)

then move on to the CB1. it's still a really simple build, but it's a little more involved, because you'll be populating the PCB, as well as offboard wiring.

take it slowly, and you should do just fine

So I assume with the CB1

1. Mount everything
2. Solder components to the PCB
3. Mount PCB
4. Wire everything up?
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I bought the big muff from them a month or so back. The double-sided tape is this: There's two little plastic rod-like thing that sticks to the inside of the case, then you mount the board to the plastic rods. It's more stable than it sounds.
If you Google the enclosure "1590b" you can actually get a good look at them, the only real difference (unless otherwise stated) is the size. I like having a big one so I have a bit more room to work around, but with something simple like an A/B switch, you shouldn't have much of a problem.
The only tip I can provide is to make sure you line the wires up neatly so you don't end up burning one while soldering another in place. Other than that, it's actually about as hard as flossing your teeth.
And remember to check out a few videos on youtube for properly soldering if you're unsure about anything.
Quote by hendrixftw
So I assume with the CB1

1. Mount everything
3. Mount PCB
4. Wire everything up?

that sounds good. but before doing a pedal. i'd suggest doing a couple small mods. build some confidence in soldering. plus, do you understand what the components do? i've been researching for a few months. haven't failed to mod quite yet. but i haven't trouble shooted the pedals i've f-ed up.
Quote by blandguitar
that sounds good. but before doing a pedal. i'd suggest doing a couple small mods. build some confidence in soldering. plus, do you understand what the components do? i've been researching for a few months. haven't failed to mod quite yet. but i haven't trouble shooted the pedals i've f-ed up.

What do you mean by small mods?
I haven't had any experience in soldering however im planning to do a heap of practice before I have a go. Will probably get some wire and something similar to a circuitboard and just get in a fair bit of practice.

I have a reasonable idea of what the components do. The thing i struggle with is understanding how everything links in
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
What do you mean by small mods?
I haven't had any experience in soldering however im planning to do a heap of practice before I have a go. Will probably get some wire and something similar to a circuitboard and just get in a fair bit of practice.

I have a reasonable idea of what the components do. The thing i struggle with is understanding how everything links in

do some basic research so you get how the components work. it helped me a ton.
small mods. just some small modding. like for a wah. i love doing them. they're so easy. hell. i'm even gonna mod other kids wah for $$$

get some soldering experience down before you just do a pedal. although the a/b box should do that for you
Quote by blandguitar
do some basic research so you get how the components work. it helped me a ton.
small mods. just some small modding. like for a wah. i love doing them. they're so easy. hell. i'm even gonna mod other kids wah for $$$

get some soldering experience down before you just do a pedal. although the a/b box should do that for you

Hmm well I do get pissed at the sweep in my crybaby...and the distortion in my DS-1 sucks balls...perhaps have a crack

I mean worse case scenario i **** up my ds-1 which i don't use anyway

And I can certainly see myself building/modding for $$$
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747311

as far as wah. switch the .22uf with a .33uf, apparently it helps mimic the ICAR taper. not my mod. i forget which site it's from. i'll pm a few wah links after the weekend. i'm moving and won't have great computer access.
k, so internet explorer keeps freezing when I try to do the 'go advanced' reply (dumb work computers) >=[

check out buildyourownclone.com

go to their 'confidence booser' kit, and download the .pdf instructions. it's not the exact pedal you're building, but its similar, and it's got really good instructions and information on components and the process..

and +1 to modding first. even though the 2 builds you've got lined up won't be much harder than modding, anyway.

..sorry for a short-ish reply, but IE's frozen 3 times when I try to post.. its frustrating to type everythign a 4th time

Quote by hendrixftw
So I assume with the CB1

1. Mount everything
3. Mount PCB
4. Wire everything up?

thats not the order i have ever done anything in. mounting everything to the enclosure first seems like a bad idea. you wont have enough room to get to the lugs in most cases, making it really hard to solder things together. if you were to attach wires to the lugs of everything before mounting them, that could work. i still wouldnt, but thats me.

instead start with populating the board. then decide how/where it will be mounted in the enclosure, mostly relative to everything else. figure out how long the wire needs to be to get from the board to the lugs, making sure to leave slack for wiggle room. then wire up the jacks, pots, switch, etc. to the board. then install everything at once, it should basicly drop in if youve left just enough slack. tighten everything down and you should be good to go.
Quote by jof1029
thats not the order i have ever done anything in.

Agreed, I built the CB1 as my first ever pedal.

Mount the components one at a time, and solder as you go, then work out where the off board components will go, and how much wire you'll need. Then solder them up.

It's not a difficult thing to do, even if you only have a little bit of soldering experience.