Seems like the right place to ask this. I was wondering, do you guys ever get nervous about bringing your most expensive gear to gigs? Are you safer bringing cheaper guitars and stuff than you are bringing an expensive ones?

I ask because I've been jamming with a band for quite a while now and we've been talking about gigging. My main electric guitar is my Gibby SG Diablo, and well, I think I might be a bit nervous taking it out somewhere. Would I be safer sticking to one of my cheaper guitars?
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yerjam
Seems like the right place to ask this. I was wondering, do you guys ever get nervous about bringing your most expensive gear to gigs? Are you safer bringing cheaper guitars and stuff than you are bringing an expensive ones?

I ask because I've been jamming with a band for quite a while now and we've been talking about gigging. My main electric guitar is my Gibby SG Diablo, and well, I think I might be a bit nervous taking it out somewhere. Would I be safer sticking to one of my cheaper guitars?

I would say leave the one that sounds better at home, rather than which is most expensive. Tone is so much more valuable
Just make sure you keep your guitar with you (in its case) when you're not playing (before & after sets). Don't leave it on display. Theft is more of an issue than damage for gigging as long as you;
a) use a hardshell case to carry & store your guitar
b) use straplocks so it doesn't fall off.
Moving on.....
i take all all the gear in my sig to shows. it does make me uncomfortable because i know some bands who have good gear because they stole it from other bands.

all i do is keep everything in the van until about 30 mins before i go on, play, then put everything back as soon as were done playing. keep an eye on all my gear and never leave anything unattended. i have a 4 piece band and i usually have 3 people carry stuff to the van and have one keep a lookout with all the bands gear in one corner.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
Theft is what I was referring to, I know guitars are built for gigging, it's not damage I'm worried about (well I am, obviously, but I'm more worried about some lowlife stealing my gear).

Cheers for all the posts so far, good advice.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Draind
all i do is keep everything in the van until about 30 mins before i go on, play, then put everything back as soon as were done playing. keep an eye on all my gear and never leave anything unattended. i have a 4 piece band and i usually have 3 people carry stuff to the van and have one keep a lookout with all the bands gear in one corner.

This. As long as you always have somebody you trust watching your gear, and you don't leave it lying around for too long, there isn't a problem.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
my rule with gear when I gig, is keep it in car untill you need to set up and as soon as your done put it in the car and lock it and go check every 15 minutes. also label everything, I had a cab stolen cause a guy thought it was his. On using expensive guitars, do it if you think you sound your best with it,but get strap locks for extra safety, and always be extra careful, and just think about the venue and the crowd if its a more rowdy place then id go cheaper,
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Yerjam
Theft is what I was referring to, I know guitars are built for gigging, it's not damage I'm worried about (well I am, obviously, but I'm more worried about some lowlife stealing my gear).

Cheers for all the posts so far, good advice.

i forgot to mention. this may be over kill. but i use a Ratchet Strap to keep my cab my head and my rack case all together so no one can do a drive by and pull something off. its happened before. luckily i had my bands name spray painted on my rack head so the dude couldnt argue it was his. but now with the pull strap i feel more comfortable leaving my rig for a few secs because its hard and very noticeable to move a whole rig.

this is a ratchet strap.

basically i just put it under my cab and over the top on the side not the front and strap everything together.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Last edited by Draind at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by monkey_dancer
This. As long as you always have somebody you trust watching your gear, and you don't leave it lying around for too long, there isn't a problem.

i usually watch the gear because im very anal about losing anything at shows. and i make sure that when we leave gear in a corner i make it so that the only way to get something is to go past me. been doing it for 2 years. havent lost anything yet.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Better to use your gear and damage it, then to never or rarely use it and keep it in good condition.

You probably do more gigs than studio time anyways.
Not everyone likes metal...

FUCK THEM!
Insurance...

My band has gotten to the point to where we can spend the money to get insurance for our gear... we are also thinking about having it misplaced so we can upgrade some items and replace some other ones... *cough* but *cough* anyways...

ya if you can't afford insurance just be careful... most stuff can hold up fine... just make sure your mixers don't get banged because if you dont put them in cases they are vulnerable.
One thing I hear a lot is that if a thief sees an easy target, price won't matter to him. If you do decide to take the less expensive gear, still keep an eye on it.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
do what i do, leave it in the case the whole time, and take it out of the case while on stage, leave the case behind your amp or something out of the way, and as soon as your done with the set, put it right back up. Nothing bad will happen to it this way, unless you yourself **** it up haha
Yes...take your expensive gear. And a gun.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
^done it. Both, I mean. Some places you will play, you'd be dumb to go in there without one.

But just be smart about where you leave stuff. Make sure it all has your name on it. Mark cases, pedals, cables, guitars, etc so that if someone did try to steal it and sell it, theyd have to paint over the mark, which is a dead giveaway that its stolen.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred