So its my brothers birthday and i am going to get him a bass guitar, he has been wanting to learn for a while but i am not entirely sure what to get him, i have been looking at a few websites and am going to go down to a guitar shop and give a few a try. I don't really want to get him a starter pack as i will be using the bass as well here and there, and while my first bass was in a starter pack and wasn't bad, i didn't gig with it, so after a little bit of research, i have found a couple of basses, they are:

-Hofner Ignition Beatles bass (the viola one)

-Cort tribal thunder

-Dean edge 1 bass

My budget is about £200, i can go a little higher if i can find a good quality bass at a good price, he is quite a big Beatles fan so the viola bass might be an idea but i don't know how they play or sound, any suggestions?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
If you just want a bass I would say go a little higher and get a Squier Vintage Modified. it's like 300 (dollars), and I've heard alot of good things about it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
If you just want a bass I would say go a little higher and get a Squier Vintage Modified. it's like 300 (dollars), and I've heard alot of good things about it.

Well yeah, my parents are getting him the amp, so its kind of a joint effort.

EDIT: I just took a look at the bass you suggested, it looks great, i will definately try it out when i go looking for one, thanks.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Sep 18, 2009,
the Ibanez-GSR200

its a good bass i tried one out and liked it, but i didnt want a bass similar to my Aria in shape.Also a very good starting bass also good for gigging and the likes if it were to eventually be used in such a manner.Also the build quality's excellent.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
the Ibanez-GSR200

its a good bass i tried one out and liked it, but i didnt want a bass similar to my Aria in shape.Also a very good starting bass also good for gigging and the likes if it were to eventually be used in such a manner.Also the build quality's excellent.

played one today, feels like a much more expensive bass than it is, and i personally would have loved to learn on such a nice bass.
Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Milestone, Squier VM Jazz, or something along those lines. I've noticed the quality with Deans and Fender MIMs is pretty hit-or-miss, so be careful about buying one if you do.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Milestone, Squier VM Jazz, or something along those lines. I've noticed the quality with Deans and Fender MIMs is pretty hit-or-miss, so be careful about buying one if you do.

I used to have a milestone III and it served me pretty well, but i lent it to a friend and forgot to ask for it back until about 6 months later, by then it was in a state of disrepair.

I will keep the Ibanez in mind, i did see one for fairly cheap a while back and i'm assuming thats what you guys are talking about, thanks guys, i'll take a look.
WHOMP

The Ibanez gsr200 is a great bass for the money.The Peavey Millenium bxp should also be looked into,great bass for the money aswell.I haven't played a cort so can't help on that.I have a old dean edge 1 and it's a great bass but the build quality has gone down hill the last few years so I wouldn't go that route.Ibanez or Peavey are what I would recommend.
Quote by Razgriz_101
the Ibanez-GSR200

This
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
I think the best choice is to let him decide. Although it ruins the surprise, it guarantees he will be happy with it. When I got my first bass, I went into the store with my dad, and we tried out a bunch of the ones in my price range. Although I had no idea what I was doing with the thing, I made a decision base off of feel and I am very satisfied with it.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Dont go by just the brand names .. check out the Cort bass guitars there pickups are supposed to be very good for their price and they are VERY affordable .. check out the Cort C5H and the Cort Curbrow 5 also the Cort B5 ...... heard rave reviews about the curbrow ... and you can always fall back to the Ibanez if need be the GSR 200 is supposed to be a very good bass .....