My current an only steel strung acoustic is a dreadnought (Yamaha FG700MS). Over the past few months my interest in playing has leaned towards fingerstyle playing eg 'Anji' 'Classical Gas' etc.. and most fingerpicking instrumental tunes. My question to the more experienced players is, should I buy a smaller bodied steel strung guitar or do some of you still use a dreadnought for this type of play? Are there any "set rules" per se regarding playing style and guitar body size?

Many thanks.
Last edited by return2guitar at Sep 18, 2009,
there are no set rules. i've been fingerpicking for over 40 years, and i've done it on every shape of guitar there is. in fact, i currently fingerpick on a seagull s6, which is a dread. the only rules are your own:

what feels best to you (narrower necks are less comfortable for some people to fingerpick with)

what sounds good to you.

if it sounds good and feels comfortable, those are the only things that matters. that being said, when i spent more than a couple hours on a narrower neck, the position it forced me into damaged my wrist and elbow, so be sure you really ARE comfortable playing whatever guitars you play the most.
Quote by patticake
there are no set rules. i've been fingerpicking for over 40 years, and i've done it on every shape of guitar there is. in fact, i currently fingerpick on a seagull s6, which is a dread. the only rules are your own:

what feels best to you (narrower necks are less comfortable for some people to fingerpick with)

what sounds good to you.

if it sounds good and feels comfortable, those are the only things that matters. that being said, when i spent more than a couple hours on a narrower neck, the position it forced me into damaged my wrist and elbow, so be sure you really ARE comfortable playing whatever guitars you play the most.

Prettymuch everything here; I fingerpick on a cutaway dreadnought guitar, mainly because I'm used to the body shape and I like the sound (and I got an amazing deal when I bought the guitar).
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
i've always head a concert style acoustic is best for finger picking, and i guess that has something to do with the treble you'd get out of it, but i don't really see a huge advantage for one over another. i would say the neck shape is most likely more important, just because you'll need an instrument with a fretboard you can get around accurately and easily.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip