Now, I'm normally a fan of aged guitars, be they actual wear or a relic job.
This, however, is possibly the worst relic job I've ever seen: http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-VINTAGE-RELIC-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ390094481528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5ad3716878&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Share pics of bad relic jobs?

Worst gets a cookie.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
That ebay seller should be taken out and shot. Imagine purposefully doing that to such a gorgeous instrument! I suspect this thread's going to make me very angry!
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
For the off record, it seems that his guitar he used was finished in thick poly (Mexican strat, I assume). Most relic jobs are done with nitro...

For the sake of the thread:

In other news, I think the best relic jobs I've seen is done by Relevator Guitars. I plan on maybe having a '62 style or a '54 Swamp Ash relic done by them (Light relics, mind you. I prefer well done relic'd or old necks, they fit like a glove )
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 18, 2009,
Ouch!
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
I'm diggin' the swirl marks on the back of the eBay "relic" body.

EDIT: Quoting the listing...

"THE GUITAR HAS BEEN RELICED BY ITS PREVIOUS OWNER. YOU WILL GET ONE COOL LOOKING GOOD PLAYING FENDER STRAT. COSMETIC WISE, THIS ITEM HAS MINOR SCUFFS / SCRATCHES FROM USE."

Last edited by phat104u at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by britishsligean
that is bad and i think John Frusciante's strat and Yngwie Malmsteen signature are bad

You know John's guitar is an actual vintage guitar, worn from years of playing, right?
He over did it... Darn amateur...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Something tells me that if no one had said that those were fake relics, everyone would be like 'Wow, that must have been used for a long time! Looks pretty sweet!' But since its a 'fake' relic, its automatically awful.
Where would one buy actual honest to God Nitro Paint for a relic job anyway? I've been looking for a while, because I've been debating doing a relic build; but I haven't found where to buy nitro paint. Anyone got some sites that sell it?
Quote by Alex Vik
You know John's guitar is an actual vintage guitar, worn from years of playing, right?

this
Quote by Alex Vik

i am aware of that i just think that it looks bad, it's probably because i prefer new guitars that are straight out of the factory, mind you john does get a good sound out of it
Quote by britishsligean
i am aware of that i just think that it looks bad, it's probably because i prefer new guitars that are straight out of the factory, mind you john does get a good sound out of it

Ah, ok. Just wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't a reliced guitar.
Quote by Baby Joel
Something tells me that if no one had said that those were fake relics, everyone would be like 'Wow, that must have been used for a long time! Looks pretty sweet!' But since its a 'fake' relic, its automatically awful.

You telling me that first one could look worn from years of use to someone? Years of use as a doormat maybe. You can tell an awful relic job.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by phat104u
Where would one buy actual honest to God Nitro Paint for a relic job anyway? I've been looking for a while, because I've been debating doing a relic build; but I haven't found where to buy nitro paint. Anyone got some sites that sell it?

stewart macdonald. Has everything you need for refinishing or building a guitar/bass. If you plan on doing a relic job, make sure there isn't a thick poly finish. For the sake of it, look up how the old Fender's were made (Pref the 50s.) and see if they just used straight nitro or not.
Quote by item description
COSMETIC WISE, THIS ITEM HAS MINOR SCUFFS / SCRATCHES FROM USE.

I lol'd.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Yerjam
You telling me that first one could look worn from years of use to someone? Years of use as a doormat maybe. You can tell an awful relic job.

It doesn't look that bad to me. :/
If i could buy the ebay strat for under 100 bucks, the repaint it, i think id have a pretty noce guitar!
Quote by FallsDownStairs
stewart macdonald. Has everything you need for refinishing or building a guitar/bass. If you plan on doing a relic job, make sure there isn't a thick poly finish. For the sake of it, look up how the old Fender's were made (Pref the 50s.) and see if they just used straight nitro or not.

Will do later, as I'm currently just researching.

Anyway, I saw what's on Stew-Mac, and was wondering if anyone knew of any rattlecan nitro products. I don't have any airbrushing equipment, and I certainly don't want to brush on.
Quote by phat104u
Will do later, as I'm currently just researching.

Anyway, I saw what's on Stew-Mac, and was wondering if anyone knew of any rattlecan nitro products. I don't have any airbrushing equipment, and I certainly don't want to brush on.

You should probably go to the builders thread and ask the luthiers. I'm sure they'd know more than we do when it comes to the products. They'll most likely tell you where to find and buy the best nitro supplies at a reasonable price.
It looks like a POS to me. I think all relic guitars are hideous and a waste anyway. People pay huge amounts of money for a guitar that doesn't play any better than a regular guitar for half the price. I have played many relics even the $17,000.00 SRV Strat POS Guitar Center sells. It was no better than a top of the line MIM Strat for a fraction of the price. Maybe people who buy it think just because it looks like someone elses guitar they will be able to play and sound like them. If I am going to pay for a guitar I want a guitar that doesn't look like someones reject.

John
Quote by Baby Joel
It doesn't look that bad to me. :/

It looks a bit overdone to me. Like when I would think relic I think "general wear and tear" not "sand down as much of the paint that's possible while making it sort of look like it's been played for thousands of years"

And my vote for the worst reliced guitar goes to Devries Custom Guitars with the dog hair and vaseline oh wait that wasn't reliced in the first place...
^ Pics or link?

I don't like it when they take the relic too far, but when it looks like it could SANELY wear that way I think it's cool. Still, more expensive than I would like to pay for a guitar normally, so I just buy an older instrument that has natural wear and tear.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
^ Pics or link?

I don't like it when they take the relic too far, but when it looks like it could SANELY wear that way I think it's cool. Still, more expensive than I would like to pay for a guitar normally, so I just buy an older instrument that has natural wear and tear.

Bulk pictures found in here
why...just....why....
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by jj1565
scratch and dent road worn fender?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-131010-LIST
select white.

That definatly deserves a lol stack

Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
it must really be banged to hell, because they took a couple hundred off it.

shoot if i was into that series, that sounds like the way to go.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Bulk pictures found in here

I actually like that...
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Ohh, that is beautiful. I would love to have that so much.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by Audioslave95

I actually like that...

It's a pos though. Seriously.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
God I hate relics...

I actually like that...
Please dont ever quote a devris guitar, they are incredibly badly made.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by oneblackened
It's a pos though. Seriously.

Yeah. It even has invaders. Ugh.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I hate it when on ebay and you see a fender going cheap then see that its been dragged behind a train to look *relic*. Honestly those student morons should get a life.