Hey,

I'm just about to get my first job, and as a 16 year old, i've got nothing to spend money on except my Rig. So, firstly i'm getting a new amp and Cab. Namely, the Bugera 6262 through a Orange PPC 212. I play Punk/Modern/Classic rock and a bit of Metal. I own a Vintage VS6, it's Mahogany body and is put together really nicely so i though rather than buying a new guitar i'll upgrade this one. I don't wanna spend loads of money on pickups, preferably about £200-£250 for a set of 2 Buckers. I don't know how high-end that is but it's twice the amount i paid for the guitar. Shoot away anyway. I've looked at a JB & 59 set but i reckon there must be better if i pay a bit more on each. The tone's I look up to is Angus Young's, Josh Farro's, Slash's and maybe even Tom DeLonge's.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Bare Knuckles no need for research

My friend has these...V.Good!

Otherwise...EMG, Seymore Duncan...the usuals.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I honestly cannot recommend spending twice as much on pickups as your guitar. You are very correct in that you can do much better than the Seymour Duncans, they are good pickups but get a huge markup in the UK.

However... going back to the guitar thing, a good set of high end pickups is going to be transparent and really let the character of your guitar shine through. If you are absolutely adamant about spending that much look at....

Shed pickups, Rock Monkey pickups, Bareknuckle pickups, Seymour Duncan Antiquities, WCR Bet Set, look at the first three first as they're based in the UK and will probably be cheaper foryou.
I've heard good things about Bare Knuckles, so I'd have to go with that for what you're looking for.

I've got an DiMarzio Evolution in my S2120, and it works well for the afformentioned genres, though. Good midrange punch and gain that's tight but not too high. They're my preference in all I play at this point.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
What Bareknuckles in particular. I can't decipher his odd descriptions.

P.S. My guitar is worth about twice as much as i paid for it. Plus, it's put together nicely and it's Mahogany so i figure why not? People mod Squire's all the time and this is loads better than any squire.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Bare Knuckles no need for research

Exactly what I was gonna say

Email him and ask which one's he'd recommend. He's always very timely, my guess is he'll tell you to get some Painkillers, but you never know.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Exactly what I was gonna say

Email him and ask which one's he'd recommend. He's always very timely, my guess is he'll tell you to get some Painkillers, but you never know.

This.
prs pickups are very good. the dragon IIs are probably the most versitile pickups ive come across. they can do everything from clean jazz stuff to stratty hendrix (with coil split), to slash, to paul gilbert and even opeth. all of which sounds authentic counting that you arent expecting a hollow body sound or an active pickups sound ect. i have also tried the hfs/vintage set but i didnt like them as much. i doubt prs makes a set that isnt likeable. the new 57/08 (and the newer 59/09) pickups are all the rage although you cant by them seperately from the guitars they come in.
Last edited by prsfan22 at Sep 18, 2009,
Like everyone else said, Bareknuckle, Rockmonkey, and Swineshead. Also, if the metal is less important than the classic rock and punk, you might consider some Fralin humbuckers.
Im still not sold on Bareknuckle. I have a nasty feeling the nailbomb would be too saturated and looseish sounding. Anyone have experience with them?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by britishsligean
have a look at gibson dirty fingers

A completely crap pickup IMO.

Quote by prsfan22
prs pickups are very good. the dragon IIs are probably the most versitile pickups ive come across. they can do everything from clean jazz stuff to stratty hendrix (with coil split), to slash, to paul gilbert and even opeth. all of which sounds authentic counting that you arent expecting a hollow body sound or an active pickups sound ect. i have also tried the hfs/vintage set but i didnt like them as much. i doubt prs makes a set that isnt likeable. the new 58/08 pickups are all the rage although you cant by them seperately from the guitars they come in.

I'm not a fan of any of PRS's pickups except for the ones on the Modern Eagle, which are the 57/08.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by dcdossett65
Im still not sold on Bareknuckle. I have a nasty feeling the nailbomb would be too saturated and looseish sounding. Anyone have experience with them?
never played a nailbomb, only ones I've played are the Mule and Stormy Monday, both are pretty good.
Quote by mmolteratx
I'm not a fan of any of PRS's pickups except for the ones on the Modern Eagle, which are the 57/08.

Same here...

I tried a PRS Custom 24 the other day with Dragon IIs in it and it was the muddiest sounding guitar I've ever heard
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lollar Pickups?

Dont know what model, but ive heard great things. Thinking of getting a pair myself actually.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by dcdossett65

I have them in my custom. Tight as ****. I love them for my thrash stuff.
Quote by DiizZ
Lollar Pickups?

Dont know what model, but ive heard great things. Thinking of getting a pair myself actually.
Probably Imperials, a lot of people like them... I've talked with Jason Lollar about having some pickups done but went with a set of Wolfetones instead.