I'm torn between 2 guitars, for the same price. An epiphone Les Paul Custom, or one of the less expensive versions of a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I was wondering if any of u guys that know more about the epiphone/gibson models could shine some light on the key differences id be facing, quality & sound wise& if u could perhaps recommend one or the other?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
I'd take the epi, then swap out the pickups. But try them both out, and pick which one you like, but if you can't try them out I'd go for the epi for the gibsons being handmade so each one is different.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
gibson lower end models like the special and studio are renowned for having necks that are hit and miss, the best thing to do is try both and get the one you prefer next, and remember to play it through an amp that is similar to yours so you know how it will sound through your amp
I'd say you HAVE to try them out. Most of the time, I can't stand the way epiphones feel. However, some of the lower end gibsons vary quite a bit.
Low end Gibsons really are hit and miss (most of the time miss). Try before you buy.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
i would say alot of the time i would go with the epi for 2 reasons
1. it might be of better build
2. you will cash left over to buy new pups and IMO get a better sound
Well, to be honest, I've played quite a few Gibby studios and to be honest, I think they're all great. Sure Gibson does have some QC problems, but I think the problem with the studios is that people are just jumping on the band wagon. Theyre really not bad guitars.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by D&DLover
I'd say you HAVE to try them out. Most of the time, I can't stand the way epiphones feel. However, some of the lower end gibsons vary quite a bit.

It's not just the lower end gibsons that vary quite a bit - it's every single gibson in the world ever. whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on whether you can find one you really like or not

Quote by Yerjam
Low end Gibsons really are hit and miss (most of the time miss). Try before you buy.

i'm tired of explaining that just because you didn't like most of the gibsons you played (or in many cases, didn't play), that doesn't mean they are bad guitars. your personal preference is not the global truth that applies to every single living creature.

Quote by Tedis1111
i would say alot of the time i would go with the epi for 2 reasons
1. it might be of better build
2. you will cash left over to buy new pups and IMO get a better sound

you also seem to be a repeat offender on the "epiphone r bettar thn gibson nao becuz gibson has bad build quality cuz teh CEO is a poop face!!" bandwagon.

as i have explained more times than i care to remember - the build quality, and the tonewood, is pretty much always superior on a gibson compared to an epiphone, these days. however, there are many reasons why somebody would choose an epiphone over a gibson - build quality is certainly not one of them. epiphones have an entirely different feel for many reasons including the different neck profiles. you could ultimately replace an epiphone and get a more "personalized" sound for less money, but that won't make the wood any better. do people seriously not understand why epiphones cost so much less when they are run by the same company?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
i'm tired of explaining that just because you didn't like most of the gibsons you played (or in many cases, didn't play), that doesn't mean they are bad guitars. your personal preference is not the global truth that applies to every single living creature.

I didn't say Gibsons are bad guitars, I own a Gibson.

I said low end Gibsons are hit and miss, which they are. You really have to try before you buy, sometimes you can find a real gem, other times not so much. You don't seem that able to take criticism of Gibson, I ask, do you work for them or something?
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
the gibson will be better
plain and simple

it wont be a muddy horrible cheap wooded piece of asian crap
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Blompcube
It's not just the lower end gibsons that vary quite a bit - it's every single gibson in the world ever. whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on whether you can find one you really like or not

you also seem to be a repeat offender on the "epiphone r bettar thn gibson nao becuz gibson has bad build quality cuz teh CEO is a poop face!!" bandwagon.

as i have explained more times than i care to remember - the build quality, and the tonewood, is pretty much always superior on a gibson compared to an epiphone, these days. however, there are many reasons why somebody would choose an epiphone over a gibson - build quality is certainly not one of them. epiphones have an entirely different feel for many reasons including the different neck profiles. you could ultimately replace an epiphone and get a more "personalized" sound for less money, but that won't make the wood any better. do people seriously not understand why epiphones cost so much less when they are run by the same company?

i never said it would be i said it might be, as with all guitars your going to get one or two real things that suck and one or two copies that are awesome
and gibson might, its a marketing technique higher prices make ppl perceive it as better and make it exclusive

your right, to a degree but i am right to a degree aswell
Quote by Yerjam
I didn't say Gibsons are bad guitars, I own a Gibson.

I said low end Gibsons are hit and miss, which they are. You really have to try before you buy, sometimes you can find a real gem, other times not so much. You don't seem that able to take criticism of Gibson, I ask, do you work for them or something?

i never said you said gibsons were bad guitars - what i meant was that to say "they are hit and miss, and most of the time miss" doesn't take preference into account enough. i've played many many guitars which i've thought were terrible, but someone else has absolutely loved that very same guitar - a lot of gibsons included.

it's not that i "can't take criticism for gibson". because i know they are not perfect and i know they are not the best money can buy (especially since there can be no best brand - it just doesn't work like that). i just think that people value their opinions too much when it comes to guitars and there's especially a lot of hate towards particular brands - gibson just gets the worst of it lately, which i think is completely ridiculous. if someone was to come forward and actually complain about a REAL problem with a particular gibson guitar rather than "mine is a bit different to everyone elses!! bad quality control!!" then maybe i wouldn't stick up for them.

excuse me if i'm not making much sense - i am kinda tired... (hence there shall be no more posts from me for another 10 or so hours!)

Quote by Tedis1111
i never said it would be i said it might be, as with all guitars your going to get one or two real things that suck and one or two copies that are awesome
and gibson might, its a marketing technique higher prices make ppl perceive it as better and make it exclusive

your right, to a degree but i am right to a degree aswell

one last note:
i think you're missing my point a bit although i'm a bit too tired to put it across properly - i can fully understand that a lot of people would prefer a particular copy to the real deal, but the chances are if the real deal costs that much more it will be quite simply a better quality instrument even though a few people may not enjoy playing it as much as is the case with gibson vs epiphone - because personal preference doesn't always take quality into account - i know people who like squier necks so much more than they like fender necks that they own fender guitars with squier necks.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
i never said you said gibsons were bad guitars - what i meant was that to say "they are hit and miss, and most of the time miss" doesn't take preference into account enough. i've played many many guitars which i've thought were terrible, but someone else has absolutely loved that very same guitar - a lot of gibsons included.

it's not that i "can't take criticism for gibson". because i know they are not perfect and i know they are not the best money can buy (especially since there can be no best brand - it just doesn't work like that). i just think that people value their opinions too much when it comes to guitars and there's especially a lot of hate towards particular brands - gibson just gets the worst of it lately, which i think is completely ridiculous. if someone was to come forward and actually complain about a REAL problem with a particular gibson guitar rather than "mine is a bit different to everyone elses!! bad quality control!!" then maybe i wouldn't stick up for them.

excuse me if i'm not making much sense - i am kinda tired... (hence there shall be no more posts from me for another 10 or so hours!)

Fair enough, but I've never seen such a variation in quality (or what I deem to be quality) in a line of guitars than on low-end Gibsons. Some that I've played have been great, but a lot of them I really did not like and have actually played worse than high-end Epis, which is why I say try before you buy.

I do agree Gibson gets an unfair rap round these parts, I mean I love my Gibson to bits and I've loved virtually every one of the standard models I've played.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Go with the epi, I played a studio and way preffered the epi
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I would lean towards the Gibson. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but it is SUCH A HUGE IMPROVEMENT from the Chinese, Korean guitars I have had before. Granted, all tastes are differant and I respect that but to honestly believe that a USA made guitar such as Gibson will have poorer quality than a franchised Asian sweatshop company is ludacris. Sorry for being so blunt.

If I came across as an ass I am sorry, I just agree with Blompcube. Gibson does seem to have gotten a bad rap on this board recently. I havent seen this anywhere else. Similar to how this board is VERY bias towards Mesa Boogie, and also how some folks I believe think that Marshall is a dying company because their views are skewed by the MG mess.
One more thing while I'm on the topic, why do people rag on Marshall so much and say how they are inferior only to buy a Marshall clone like Splawn, Reinhardt, Germino, Bacino, Blankenship, Fargen. Marshall was the pioneer that many, many popularly raved about companies on this board are based off of. YET, the origonal (Marshall) gets ragged on. I know its partly because of their MG series, but seriously, they have some ****ing kickass amps. The JMP, JTM, JCM800, JCM900, JCM2000.........etc.

Sorry to all who wanted a simple response. Kinda got on a rant, but thats ok because this is a "think tank" for all to share ideas right?
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Last edited by Butters8754 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by steve!
the gibson will be better
plain and simple

it wont be a muddy horrible cheap wooded piece of asian crap

Lol. Hey now, in Asia's defense a lot of MIJ guitars are as good or better than MIA ones.
I recently purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and I ordered it online. So I had no idea what my specific guitar would feel like. I scored major, and the neck and overall feel of the guitar felt a lot better than the one I played in the store.

I would agree though, that it is a hit and miss. So if you are thinking about buying one pick out one that is good from the store, and directly get it from there. But they are both great guitars, and either way I believe you will be happy.
Every company can be hit and miss at times. Play them both and see what you prefer. The Studios that I've played were always superior to the epis.
Gibson.
Quote by Blompcube

one last note:
i think you're missing my point a bit although i'm a bit too tired to put it across properly - i can fully understand that a lot of people would prefer a particular copy to the real deal, but the chances are if the real deal costs that much more it will be quite simply a better quality instrument even though a few people may not enjoy playing it as much as is the case with gibson vs epiphone - because personal preference doesn't always take quality into account - i know people who like squier necks so much more than they like fender necks that they own fender guitars with squier necks.

not true, gibsons prices being high is called price skimming which basicly means high prices make u think its of a high qualitywhen its not a gibson could be $1000 more than an epi when the difference in quality is only like $300

i dont agree with alot ppl by any means, some ppl who just hurl abuse at gibson when they have only played one gibby should be shot but gibson does have its issues
Last edited by Tedis1111 at Sep 19, 2009,
As a general rule of thumb both guitars really need some work for them to really sound good, though good tone is more easily achieved with the Gibson, the stock Gibson pickups in the studio generally do not do it for me but I've heard them sound good in a few guitars, at the very least, new electronics all around are a must, in any Gibson guitar really, as well as any Epiphone, though upgrading pots can be difficult for Epiphones and will require one to widen the holes routed for the pot shafts.

Regardless, an absolutely necessary upgrade, every Gibson guitar I've ever played with stock electronics has sounded sub par, but it's a matter of ~$50 to put in new pots and caps and it makes a world of difference.

So don't assume that in spending the extra money on a Gibson that you won't need to upgrade parts, you will, but it'll also sound better than the Epi with the same upgrades so take that for what it's worth.
As an electronics tech I've always wondered why people think changing potentiometers will affect tone. Pots have only resistance, no inductance or capacitance and so have the same effect across the audio frequency range. Cap's now I can see, some cheap guitars use Ceramic caps which are better at rf frequencies while mylar or poly caps work better in the audio range.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
As an electronics tech I've always wondered why people think changing potentiometers will affect tone. Pots have only resistance, no inductance or capacitance and so have the same effect across the audio frequency range. Cap's now I can see, some cheap guitars use Ceramic caps which are better at rf frequencies while mylar or poly caps work better in the audio range.
It's not because I think that the pots have any inherent effect on tone, it's more that...

1) Gibson's stock pots come in at 300k normally, with a huge degree of variance in there, imo, les pauls need 500k, and you never really know how strangled your tone is until you switch to 500k. It's hard to add brightness, but it's easy to remove brightness w/ your tone control, which is why I tend to favor the idea of using 500k pots.
2) Neither linear or audio taper pots really give the most usable taper, with linear taper you sit there and roll back your volume and don't hear any change until you're at like... 3 or so and then there is this sudden decrease, with your typical audio taper you get this huge dropoff ~7, and there are pots out there like the RS superpots which give you a much more gradual decrease throughout the range of the pot making it much more useful if you're one who likes to use their volume knobs for changing your sound.

That's really the main reason for me.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 19, 2009,
There's absolutely no reason to believe any given Epi Standard or above is going to be better or worse than any given Gibson Studio, Special, Vintage Mahogany, etc model.

The only thing I'd point out is that the Epi LP Custom is no different from the cheaper Epi LP Standard, you're just paying more for the different look.

Beyond that, all you can do is try both guitars out and buy the one that feels best. Or in fact don't even do that. Try out as many Epis and Gibsons as you can get hold of, and out of all of those, buy the one that feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry about what's on the headstock or what the model name is. Don't buy online, don't buy pre-owned without giving the whole guitar a really thorough check.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
There's absolutely no reason to believe any given Epi Standard or above is going to be better or worse than any given Gibson Studio, Special, Vintage Mahogany, etc model.

The only thing I'd point out is that the Epi LP Custom is no different from the cheaper Epi LP Standard, you're just paying more for the different look.

Beyond that, all you can do is try both guitars out and buy the one that feels best. Or in fact don't even do that. Try out as many Epis and Gibsons as you can get hold of, and out of all of those, buy the one that feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry about what's on the headstock or what the model name is. Don't buy online, don't buy pre-owned without giving the whole guitar a really thorough check.

This is exactly what you should do.
Well, i played about 4 Gibson studios and 5 Epi customs.
4 of the customs and the studios were prety good,and if i had the money back then,i'd totally get the last custom.Greatest guitar they had in the store(played each one there lol).