So yeah, a new progressive style song from me. I'm fairly happy with how this turned out, the only thing I'm not quite sure of is the flow of the song. I want it to flow nice and smooth throughout so lemme know. And the vocals are just some rough ideas, I haven't even planned them out all the way haha. I'll return crits back as long as you give me a decent crit. Anyways, hope you enjoy
Attachments:
Winter falls.zip
i really enjoyed that. a little long for my taste, but still really good. Im sure you could cut in half and make 2 great songs out of it.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Good to see new stuff from you :] Critting as I listen:

Intro: I really love the strings. They build up a nice atmosphere. It sounds kind of chaotic to me. I LOVE what you did at bar 11. I don't know why, it's just really good. The piano adds a whole lot to the section and it sounds amazing.

Melody: Awesome :] I love how you used the intro to back it.. I love doing stuff like that too :]

Bridge 1: Great as well. good use of 5/4. I would have never guessed it was 5/4 if I hadn't been looking at the schore.

Verse 1: This is where your post-hardcore style comes out more. I can really here it here. It sounds like some of your other post-hardcore stuff, but that's probably the progression.

Chorus I: Great chorus. It's odd to hear a catchy chorus in an odd time sig. It sounds really good and definitely memorable.

Verse II: I love the drums. They really stick out here, and that's not a bad thing. It adds a lot to the great vocal melody.

Melody: Wow! I love it. This is your typical sounding Arabic stuff, but you do it in a way i've never heard it before. Great!

Verse III: I hear the tension building... this part reminds me of something Symphony X would put in one of their epics.

Bridge II: I was kind of disappointed... I was hoping it would carry on into a nice dark section, maybe a slight breakdown of sorts. But what you did was still really good.

Break: I've never heard that weird kind of thing you did on the synth before... at least not in GP. It sounds really good, and then when it stops everything picks up a new meaning. It's all so good! And then the synth comes back again, and just sounds amazing.

Verse IV: I think it's about time for a different kind of verse... i'm honestly getting a bit tired of clean verses. It seems a bit overused here. It's not bad though!

Bridge III: Great use of 4ths. Sounds really good. Definitely builds up the tension for the solo.

Solo Thing: It was good, but I dunno... it didn't seem to fit to me. It might be the MIDI, but something wasn't right about it... I can't put my finger on it

Key Change: Great key change. It was obvious enough, but not so obvious that it hurts the song. It keeps it going strong in my opinion :]

Chorus': All the key changes keep the listener wanting more. The F#m chorus reminds me a lot of Periphery... a lot... i'm not sure why. The key changes sound a lot like something that they would do xD Good stuff :]

I dub the 9/10. It was an AMAZING song, but some things brought it down. Don't take it personally, I would DEFINITELY buy your album ;]

QUICKEDIT: It flowed perfectly from part to part... that's why I didn't even mention it in my crit... cause it didn't stand out ;]

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174205
Quote by zakatak9389
Thanks man, I was thinking the same thing about the length too, but I just liked all the riffs too much to get rid of any of em, or split it into two songs haha

You don't have to repeat the riff before the pre-chorus that many times for instance.
Huh. I am vaguely perplexed by this song. It seems to me that it is less than the sum of its parts.

For one, I thought that at first, the clean parts were excellent. After a while, so much of the song is clean, it gets stale. However, I didnt think the clean break with some keys fading in and out had kind of a sci-fi sound, which I liked. I didnt love it or anything though.

The main problem I had was with the riffs. They seemed a bit stale, a bit tried and true, been-there-done that kinda riffs. I thought the same with the key changes at the end. It seems to me it's started to follow a pattern, I can almost always expect a key change somewhere, usually toward the end of a song.

Meh. It's alright. But nothing as special as I hoped for. 7/10 if I had to rate, probably? I dunno. Its still good though.
Awesome but too long for me, around verse 4 it couldn't keep my attention.
^thanks for all the feedback everyone. DiminishedFifth, I'll try and return a nice detailed crit sometime tommorrow and thanks for being so blunt about the song Burning Angel. I can't always write stuff that's new and fresh in every song I write, so staleness with my riffs is bound to happen sooner or later haha. Do you have any suggestions as to how the song could be improved in any way though?
****IN SICK! i loved it dude, really suits my taste

Bridge 1 sounded kinda awkward with the 5/4, i woulda used 4/4 unless that's what you were going for, the message still gets there if you cut out after beat 4, still good though.

I loved the chords for Verse 1

The melody section was my favorite, the drums gave it a major kick, really energetic.

Verse 3 was really dark, loved it.

Piano was excellent at the Bridge II

The break was sweet with that little Rhoads effect at the beginning, then those chords, wow

Bridge III was great with those time changes, they fit perfectly

The solos were great, but the very beginning maybe should take it down an octave then grow higher

Verse IIII solo was perfect

All good. The Outro was amazing, i think it ended to abruptly though, maybe add some more growth and end on a Victorious note

Amazing man, one of the best Prog Songs I've Heard in this section!
Quote by zakatak9389
^thanks for all the feedback everyone. DiminishedFifth, I'll try and return a nice detailed crit sometime tommorrow and thanks for being so blunt about the song Burning Angel. I can't always write stuff that's new and fresh in every song I write, so staleness with my riffs is bound to happen sooner or later haha. Do you have any suggestions as to how the song could be improved in any way though?

I think it needs more variations. Like, some riff ideas need more developing. It really does start strong in the beginning. But then the first bridge ends really suddenly. It doesnt feel developed enough.

Bridge two is alright. But it doesnt really flow with the verse before it. I think that's a big part of the problem; the transitions. It seems like a lot of them are just fast runs up into the next melody or what have you, where I think maybe a variation on the riff, like move it up a fourth or sixth, or whatever, might work better. The break is definitely my favorite part, with the fading in keys, sounds really sci fi.

Then the build up. I have a big issue with it. It doesnt build up to me. And the solo thing either needs to be more extended, or not there at all, I think. If it was extended though, I think the build up might actually feel like it built up to something.

I like all the variations on the chorus. But I expected the key change at some point, so yeah. And the transitions, again. I feel like Dream Theater does that a lot [fast runs to transition], Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus... and I always think it sounds like a crutch.

The clean parts really are pretty awesome on another listen, though. All the issues I have are really with some of the heavy sections.
^ah, ok that makes perfect sense now. I guess I should have developed some of my ideas a little more, I just didn't want to make the song too long, hence why I cut some parts shorter than they could/should be. Thank's for the advice though, I'll definitely work on this one a little more. It's always nice to have someone critiquing my stuff more harshly
i thought that was pretty good. i pretty much agree with the comments burning angel had. it started off with a lot of energy and as it went along, it just lost a lot of it. like. eventually it starts to drone on and on. i found myself thinking in the beginning, "this song is great", but halfway through, it was just like "when's it going to end?" i think the first half is a lot better than the latter half. i loved the clean parts in the first half, but they got pretty stale around the halfway mark. i actually found the chorus to be my least favourite part. the riff is repeated far too much. it makes the song feel a lot longer than it really is.

overall, it was pretty good, but there are a lot of things that you could do to improve it.

I just want to sleep forever.

Quote by zakatak9389
^ah, ok that makes perfect sense now. I guess I should have developed some of my ideas a little more, I just didn't want to make the song too long, hence why I cut some parts shorter than they could/should be. Thank's for the advice though, I'll definitely work on this one a little more. It's always nice to have someone critiquing my stuff more harshly

Lol, that's what I'm here for. Someone's gotta be the killjoy; bring you off your pedestal. [not really, but I try to be a bit more realistic than the rest of these people. Not everything everyone writes is perfect, or even great.]
this song is incredible, keep up the good work,
btw how did you learn your music theory? music school or books, because i'm really looking for some help to expand my musical knowledge
This is just beautiful. The riffs are great, and you did great job with the symphonic parts.

Dude, do you play in a band? Cause I definately wanna hear it if you compose stuff like this!

I mean... The song is just incredible. The only (very little) flaw there is that there is TOO MUCH going on at the same time, too many instruments to listen to and it gets a little like porridge.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21748254
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
I wish everything wasn't white, its too hard to navigate. Anyways, it feels a bit overproduced for too long of a time span. My post sounds so harsh, truth is I really loved your song, even though I maybe only listened to half of it. And for something with so much piano, you really kept the guitar roots there. A lot of guitar-based music I hear that goes for a more progressive touch or adds a lot of symphonic instruments usually loses touch with the original intention. Progressive (sub-genre of choice) METAL/ROCK.

Great work, dude! I hope you like to record, because I'd like to hear this with real guitars.