I started learning Paul Gilbert's Down to Mexico. Great song.

Anyways, the beginning starts of with a full-tone (2 semitones) bend. And he does it really, really fast. I can't do the bend that fast, even on 9's. So what I did, was rather than doing:

7b9 7b9 7 5

I did

9 9 7 5

Is there anything wrong with doing that? I can't hear too much of a difference, but I just can't do these bends that fast.
The difference is the feel it gives to the song, if you keep practicing you might get it right in no time mate.

This also means your lacking some finger strengh, might as well work on that.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Heilz
This also means your lacking some finger strengh, might as well work on that.

It's not as hard as you think. It's pretty easy compared to some other bends. Just practice a little more and it'll come to you in no time. Also work on your vibrato. That'll help a lot with quick bends.
well it's the same thing of course because it's the same notes but it won't have the same feel or style
try using 3 or 4 fingers
it just takes practice
I can bend the note, but he does it so fast. I've tried 3 fingers. I can't do it. Just practice more?
Can you do vibrato? If not, I say work on that first. Vibrato is just bending back and forth really fast. If you can do vibrato, it'll make quick bends a lot easier. You can just make the bends larger once you can do it quickly.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Can you do vibrato? If not, I say work on that first. Vibrato is just bending back and forth really fast. If you can do vibrato, it'll make quick bends a lot easier. You can just make the bends larger once you can do it quickly.

I can do vibrato. Not as good as Satriani, of course, but I can do it.
I think generally, if Paul Gilbert can do it, it means its humanly possible for you to do it. Now please, no 'But Paul Gilbert is a ROBOT!!1!!1!!' crap. He isn't, he just dedicated a lot of time towards the guitar.
Basically, just practice a lot with it. I'm sure if you practiced it solidly and consistently, you could get it in a day.

for some reason i went through this thread thinking it was 2 whole steps i just realized it's just two half steps when i listened to it and re-read the original post
shouldn't be too hard to get just practice
It's not that hard of a bend, you just need practice, and make sure you're using proper technique, it'll make it a lot easier- There's a reason it's the proper technique.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60