I'm looking to get a bass and amp that are good at playing stuff like Isis, Tool and just metal in general. I was wondering what you guys think sounds best for this style of music.
Well, Isis and Tool aren't exactly "just metal" but I see what you mean. Ibanez, Schecter and Spector are good for newer bands like Isis and Tool, but the bassist from Opeth uses a P and a J, it just depends

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Sep 18, 2009,
But regardless of what THEY use, you can use whatever you like. My Warwick can be used for pretty much any style, including all sorts or rock, metal, prog, jazz, and reggae, and i play Tool obsessively. It sounds amazing. Just try out a bunch of different basses at a local music store or GC and see which you perfer. I considered buying a j bass to be more like Martin Mendez from Opeth or Geddy Lee of Rush or buy a MM stingray like a lot of other musicians have but then after trying out every bass i could find I fell in love with Warwicks.

Same deal with amps. Some very popular amps I can't stand the tone of, and vice versa. Everyone has their own ear, and considering its gunna be your equipment, you should judge it off of your's

Secondly, how much are you willing to spend? If you are debating between a couple brands we may be able to tell you our own experience and also their overall quality. Happy shopping
Instruments:
Warwick Corvette $$ natural
Steinberger 5 string fretless
Gibson Les Paul Robot
Fender Stat
Wal. Do it.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Insanity^2
Wal. Do it.

Justin Chancellor butchered his Wal's sound with a lot of effects though
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Get some Humbuckers or Some good growly single coils, must be passive. A lower set eq bass,treble, mids. Thats what i would look for in a bass that your after.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Get some Humbuckers or Some good growly single coils, must be passive. A lower set eq bass,treble, mids. Thats what i would look for in a bass that your after.

Everything in this is right apart from passive.

TS, you need an active preamp in your bass. You really do.

Apart from that, it's up to you. I'd look for some humbuckers (two if possible), mahogany and maple for the body and maple for the neck.

I'd say a Warwick would be good, or a Sterling by EB. Yamaha's would be good also.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by xtoolfanx
But regardless of what THEY use, you can use whatever you like.

+1

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

to help on the whole active/passive preamp, again its all up to the ear. I perfer the sound of the active preamp with a passive pickups for rock/metal and I do agree that you probably will need the active preamp, but that doesnt mean you will be happy with the combination too. I suggest you not only play a bunch of different basses, but also take note of whether they are active or passive preamps. Again its what sound YOU like. Not really sure this brings you any closer to buying a bass, but I really feel its good advice.
Instruments:
Warwick Corvette $$ natural
Steinberger 5 string fretless
Gibson Les Paul Robot
Fender Stat
Quote by Insanity^2
Wal. Do it.

Unfortunately for the general public, most of us don't have a few thousand dollars burning a hole in our pocket.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.