I know this guy who wants to sell me a like-new ZVEX Fuzz factory for $150. On one hand it satisfies my needs as a high quality (low noise) pedal with great tone; on the other hand, it can be a bear to work with and can be tough to get consistency with settings. I was wondering if anyone one here who has used one would an opinion either way on it. I mean, $150 is a pretty good deal at least price wise I'm sure if I didin't like it I could always sell it for what I paid. Your thoughts?
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
2) Blackstar: HT-5
3) Rocktron: Banshee
4) Yamaha: FGX730SC electric acoustic
5) Fender: MIM Strat -Lake Placid Blue w/rosewood neck
Nope, the insides cost around 10 bucks, and 30 for someone to assemble it.
It's basically a Fuzz Face, but with a simple sag knob that takes around 30 seconds to put in because it isn't in the middle of any capacitor or resistor.

I'd get someone to make you a vintage Muff fuzz if you want a good fuzz, the Fuzz Factory is pretty much the same thing as a Fuzz Face, but with a couple of more knobs.

Long story short, if you want fuzz, get someone to build you a vintage Muff for 75-100 bucks.
^^^ -1

I'd say go for it, you never know.

That's an ok deal, and you're right, they can be a pain, and don't always play nice depending on the pickups, amp, and chain placement.

But if you give it some time, and can find the sweet spot on thses, you'll be glad you did.

All fuzzes generally share a similar basic architecture, and the Fuzz Factory has many parameters to adjust.

If you're not a "tweaker" maybe it's not right for you, but while I don't use one anymore, I DO think they're a unique flavor that's worth tasting...
Quote by stykerwolf
It's basically a Fuzz Face, but with a simple sag knob that takes around 30 seconds to put in because it isn't in the middle of any capacitor or resistor.

I'd get someone to make you a vintage Muff fuzz if you want a good fuzz, the Fuzz Factory is pretty much the same thing as a Fuzz Face, but with a couple of more knobs.

Long story short, if you want fuzz, get someone to build you a vintage Muff for 75-100 bucks.

Awesome. Know of any sites who pre-assemble these and sell them online? Basically, I want good fuzz that is as noiseless as possible. Basically boutique quality (high quality innerds with great sound) which I did not have with my Big Muff.
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
Quote by Rutch
^^^ -1

I'd say go for it, you never know.

That's an ok deal, and you're right, they can be a pain, and don't always play nice depending on the pickups, amp, and chain placement.

But if you give it some time, and can find the sweet spot on thses, you'll be glad you did.

All fuzzes generally share a similar basic architecture, and the Fuzz Factory has many parameters to adjust.

If you're not a "tweaker" maybe it's not right for you, but while I don't use one anymore, I DO think they're a unique flavor that's worth tasting...

Yeah...I'm not a huge tweaker which is why I'm a little hesitant to jump. Any thoughts on a good boutique-level fuzz? Preassembled only as I do not have any electronics experience.
Gear:
Well, you can always take it to a electronics store and they can assemble it for you, or you can find some people off UG that can do the job for you. It will cost less and sound better (IMO the Factory wasn't all that great)

If i'm not mistaken, in the US there are millions of sites devoted to kits, and parts for fuzz building.

Lol my first -1
Quote by stykerwolf
Well, you can always take it to a electronics store and they can assemble it for you, or you can find some people off UG that can do the job for you. It will cost less and sound better (IMO the Factory wasn't all that great)

If i'm not mistaken, in the US there are millions of sites devoted to kits, and parts for fuzz building.

Lol my first -1

Yeah, I live in Alaska so everyone up here thinks their time is worth 2X as much as anyone in the lower 48 states. I would prefer a pre-assembled one if you know of any.
Gear:
Quote by stykerwolf

Lol my first -1

Hey, just my $.02!

I'm a tweak-aholic, so you can imagine I dug it...

For a more "plug'n'play" booteek, it's going to be tough going at a price point.

Look into digging up a used D*A*M or Frantone?
Quote by stykerwolf

regardless of how much the insides cost, these things cost money to design and build and sell and of course these people have to live off it.

point is, these things are expensive whether theyre overpriced or not (ipod anyone?) and as far as im concerned $150 is a good deal

rant over
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Devi Ever fuzzes are quite nice.

This, one hundred thousand times this. She makes everything from "normal" fuzzes to crazy ass noisemakers. I've got a Hyperion on the way myself.
I would look into a Analogman Pepermint Fuzz, GREAT FUZZ, true bypass, very thick sounding, simple to use. I would look for one.
Quote by papersun87
Will Sledge FX makes a pedal called The Judge which is a FF soundalike. About $110, if I remember right.

This.

I've got one its a complete FF clone, and Will the guy that makes them is an awesome guy