I'm looking for a versatile, cheap fuzz for my bass. Any suggestions from the lovely bass forum? Thanks in advance

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Some bass forum regulars might disagree with me on this, but if you're going to experiment with a cheap fuzz and want one that's pretty versatile, you should probably look around used for some variety of a big muff. The bright side is there's no fuzz on the planet with a larger used market.

Most of the nicest fuzzes for bass aren't particularly cheap, and most of them do one sound very well, but aren't especially versatile.
I'm really happy with my Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff. The MXR Bass Blowtorch is also a nice pedal, more versatile but also more expensive than the Muff.
Bass Blowtorch is my go to pedal...but saving for an attack goat...soon Cris,soon
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
i plan on getting a russian big muff and removing the first set of diodes. it increases its already bassy response as you turn up the sustain.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by moody git

Beat me to it
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Some bass forum regulars might disagree with me on this, but if you're going to experiment with a cheap fuzz and want one that's pretty versatile, you should probably look around used for some variety of a big muff. The bright side is there's no fuzz on the planet with a larger used market.

Most of the nicest fuzzes for bass aren't particularly cheap, and most of them do one sound very well, but aren't especially versatile.

Very much this.
Quote by Captain Insano
MXR El Grande. Nice pedal, on my GAS list.

Based on what I;ve heard (both from people and videos) this will be good for what you're looking for. I still want to try one out soon.
If you are going for a muff based sound, fork out a bit more and get a Supercollider (demo and links to the site on bassfuzz.com).

It is much more versatile than any other muff that I have seen, and holds the low end brilliantly. The depth knob is awesome for adjusting the bass response and the mids knob (older models have a switch, but the newer ones allow a complete spectrum between the standard muff scoop and flat mids) is great for making sure you can cut through a mix.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have listened to the Blowtorch, and it really wouldn't suit me. I'm going for a Muse-y, bassy sound. Which is better between the Bass Big Muff and the Little Big Muff?

Also, do fuzzes sound good compressed? And how good is the distortion mode on an OC3?

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by m4l666
I have listened to the Blowtorch, and it really wouldn't suit me. I'm going for a Muse-y, bassy sound. Which is better between the Bass Big Muff and the Little Big Muff?

Also, do fuzzes sound good compressed? And how good is the distortion mode on an OC3?

The muse bassist uses a Human Gear Animato, which was recently reviewed on bassfuzz.com. It is muff based, so a muff based pedal is your best bet.

Out of the BBM and the LBM, the BBM is far better for bass, as it retains the low end much better. However, there are many muff based pedals out there, many of which are far superior to the EHX pedals. In addition to this, Chris runs a very complex rig, filled with out of production pedals, such as the Animato and the Akai Deep Impact. Hence, you won't really capture the synth essence of his tone without replicating it properly with a massive budget.

If the muff sound is for you, the Supercollider is very good. I bought mine with only that demo to go on, and the real thing is so much better.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have the big muff and i really like it so i would go with that because it is also relatively cheap
^ there are MUCH better fuzz pedals out there, like the Supercollider. If you're going for a Muse-y sound, the Zvex Wooly Mammoth is perfect for that, but it doesn't work well with active electronics. I'd browse bassfuzz.com and see if anything really clicks with you. If nothing does, just keep checking back.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
How much does the guy charge? If you know what you want and have the money, go for it.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Captain Insano
MXR El Grande. Nice pedal, on my GAS list.

This thing. Is a problem.
It sounds very nice with certain pickup configurations, and with very specific EQing. It sounds absolutely terrible on other pickup configurations, and with any other EQ. In comparison to the Big Muff, it sounds very fizzy and thin.
I used to think this thing was great, but I was using it only on the Jazz pickup of my girlfriend's Precision/Jazz. It sounds absolutely terrible on the Precision pickup, sounds terrible with her Thunderbird, sounds terrible on pretty much everything else I've tried it with (I went through a number of basses at the store). So if you're considering it, make sure you try it with the closest thing to your amp, and that you bring your own bass.
Ya I didn't like the sound much either. It was OK, but theres much better pedals in that price range
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Hmmm I'll do some research in town at some point. Any thoughts on the OC3 distortion mode? That would provide more options for one pedal

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Im surprised you didnt think the BlowTorch was Musey, with its gated fuzz it does have an undertone of syntyness, as opposed to Muffy Fuzz...I think it does a great job of grabbing that tone on a budget...to each their own tho, and good luck getting the oen right for you my man

I was also unimpressed with the El Grande
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Hmmm, the videos of the Blowtorch I've seen have disappointed me, if you can find me a Muse-y one, then fair enough.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

The big muff will most likely do the trick in terms of the cheap and versatile departments. You can do quite a bit with it. I'd definitely recommend trying it out in stores to see if it supplies you with the sound you need prior to purchase, though.
Hi.
Quote by David12390
The big muff will most likely do the trick in terms of the cheap and versatile departments. You can do quite a bit with it. I'd definitely recommend trying it out in stores to see if it supplies you with the sound you need prior to purchase, though.

Yeah, I'll probably buy from store taking along cash and painstakingly trying every single fuzz under £100. at the gear freak with no gear...

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright