...and have become a blues obsess.

and i just realised most of my setup is useless for blues.

anyone else had a similar situation?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

it can, its my humbuckers that lack the bite. my cousins USA custom shop strat rips through it. i can do blues alright with it. next guitar will be something more blues/rock compatible.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

i can get good blues drive with the dano, and the MD-2 is usless unless the gains are cranked a little. what i really need is a single-coil gutar. probably the next thing ill get.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

My gear preference totally changed in the last 6 months, and also I began to play more Hard Rock and bluesy stuff.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I always like to dabble in this or that or the other. I mostly play metal but every once in a while I venture off into something else, be it blues, jazz, classic rock, funk, whatever.

Surprisingly my Ashdown FA is pretty versatile. Its got pretty decent cleans for a high gain amp - however there is no "clean" channel. There's channel one which goes from clean to crunchy (depending on where you have the gain set) and channel two which goes from crunchy to balls-to-the-wall metal. And if I ever find myself needing some super nice cleans I just plug into my Bassman
god, i jsut found a lovely blues sound with my old harrier tele (£70 new) and my H&K.

sweet.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I've recently done this, although not really blues more hard / bluesy rock kinda thing. Never really know where I'd start if I was playing blues
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by i_am_metalhead
I always like to dabble in this or that or the other. I mostly play metal but every once in a while I venture off into something else, be it blues, jazz, classic rock, funk, whatever.

Surprisingly my Ashdown FA is pretty versatile. Its got pretty decent cleans for a high gain amp - however there is no "clean" channel. There's channel one which goes from clean to crunchy (depending on where you have the gain set) and channel two which goes from crunchy to balls-to-the-wall metal. And if I ever find myself needing some super nice cleans I just plug into my Bassman

i giggle everytime you name drop that bassman, it's nice to know you love the hell out of that thing. reminds me of the first time i got something i was really proud of.

@TS, you don't have to get a single coil guitar, there are plenty of blues players playing with humbuckers. i recommend just jacking up the volume, cutting the gain and saturating the hell out of the power section. a little bit of reverb never hurt either.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
my humbuckers are main for mega hi-gain, and dont do so well at crunch, although the cleans are pretty good. Ive been thinking about a Vintage V100 LP copy, heard some good things.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

im a jazz guy, and decided to start playing and writing shred the other day.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Silver-spear94
my humbuckers are main for mega hi-gain, and dont do so well at crunch, although the cleans are pretty good. Ive been thinking about a Vintage V100 LP copy, heard some good things.

I play a Vintage VS6 (SG Copy). The way i see it they are the perfect modding guitars. I plan on putting in some new pickups in mine and maybe an awesome Bigsby bridge if i get the time. I was just thinking today about the LP as more of a lead type guitar. What are you hearing about it?
Quote by willT08
I play a Vintage VS6 (SG Copy). The way i see it they are the perfect modding guitars. I plan on putting in some new pickups in mine and maybe an awesome Bigsby bridge if i get the time. I was just thinking today about the LP as more of a lead type guitar. What are you hearing about it?

the most impressive thing ive heard about it is that its playability matches that of a Gibson les paul. so i guess that means if you install gibson pickups you get a gibson sound.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

nah, not really. i mean, i play less br00tz than when i got my engl, but i had the sense to buy the most versatile engl. plus i just buy more stuff anyway, so it's not a major problem.

EDIT: i guess what i mean is, I always played a little of everything. The exact amounts of each specific thing might have changed, but i think i've been reasonably consistent in the stuff i like. i've never really done a 180.

why not swap the humbuckers in your current guitar for lower output ones? or do you still play enough metal to need the current ones?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by Silver-spear94
the most impressive thing ive heard about it is that its playability matches that of a Gibson les paul. so i guess that means if you install gibson pickups you get a gibson sound.

I've heard of people that prefer Vintage stuff to Gibson things before. Hard to believe, but then the quality control is probably better at Vintage and they've probably played some bad Gibson's but whatever, in any case to be even MENTIONED with Gibsons is a huge plus. One thing about Vintage's, their Neck pickups are pretty lame, though the Bridge ones are extremely good for the price. Also, they're built like tanks, great guitars for gigging and touring. Oh and yeah

Vintage with Pup swap + Good Amp = Sex.
place's like wolfe macleod's offer alnico humbuckers handwound and vintage sounding, this will give you blues tone. i have a set of p-90's in my LP double cutaway, sounds great for breakup, but my guitar has a mahogany body too. dunno what yers has, so it might not be such a great match.

@al112987 - macleod's looks cool as hell, that is where i will get my next set of buckers from. thx for the info on them. still need a set of fralins though
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
place's like wolfe macleod's offer alnico humbuckers handwound and vintage sounding, this will give you blues tone. i have a set of p-90's in my LP double cutaway, sounds great for breakup, but my guitar has a mahogany body too. dunno what yers has, so it might not be such a great match.

@al112987 - macleod's looks cool as hell, that is where i will get my next set of buckers from. thx for the info on them. still need a set of fralins though
My Wolfetones actually came in today, I posted a NGD about it and will try to post clips in there sometime soon when I get the chance.
Quote by chea_man
im a jazz guy, and decided to start playing and writing shred the other day.

This happens to me every once in a while and I want to swap out all my gear but then I just listen to some John Scofield or Scott Henderson and forget about shred, atleast for awhile.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs