So this box arrived to me today with this...

and this!

So a little bit of elaboration, I'm constantly GASing for new pickups, I can't lie the WCRs in my current guitar have been doing it for me pretty well, but when a guy like Wolfe Macleod has a 20% off sale, it's hard not to jump the gun. I've always liked the Dr. Vintage so... I picked one up for the neck of my les paul. At his prices, it's hard not to be tempted.

The second pickup is an old Gibson that I've had lying around for several years without use, well when I heard Wolfe was doing rewinds again, it seemed like the perfect option, it's not one of his standard issue winds, I asked for something a little bit more personalized, the DCR is written on the back at 8.38k, it's basically a pickup that is somewhere between his Dr. Vintage and Marshallhead Mk. II with an aged A5 magnet, really aiming more at the late '59/'60 PAF and early pat. ### sound.

Won't be able to install these for a few days but I'm so excited about finally getting them!
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 23, 2009,
Awesome, al! You should make before/after clips to let us hear the difference!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
thanks, it's been a long while since I ordered these (there was a bit of slowdown at wolfetone and pickup rewinds typically take longer than a new pickup, wolfe has to take them apart, clean off the wax, re-wind, re-assemble, etc) and really want to hear them in action, I'll record clips ASAP, before and after. They should be pretty different from the WCRs in my guitar, different end of the spectrum as far as vintage style pickups go, but it'll have to be recorded w/ a crappy camera mic... again.
sweet, those wolfetones have a great rep (as do the WCRs)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yes, i am actually interested in hearing clips.

[whispers to self]oh please good clips using a badass handwired head and a custom cab with webers in it miked with a telefunken running into some universal audio preamp and a prodigy A/D converter going into a mac with badass software[/whispers to self]... but i guess i'll take a camcorder mic too. damn i wanna hear these pickups, might pick up a pair of p90's for my les paul.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
yes, i am actually interested in hearing clips.

[whispers to self]oh please good clips using a badass handwired head and a custom cab with webers in it miked with a telefunken running into some universal audio preamp and a prodigy A/D converter going into a mac with badass software[/whispers to self]... but i guess i'll take a camcorder mic too. damn i wanna hear these pickups, might pick up a pair of p90's for my les paul.
lol sorry but it's not going to be quite like that, more like crappy audio stripped from a cheap camera mic, there are a ton of good clips around the net of the Dr. V's though. They were the hot new thing around the LPF for a while. Here some cool ones...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5075661
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JxS4FMyRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN80dPGKtEY (I LOVE this one, to me it's the perfect neck tone)

http://www.kelemenamps.com/clips.html

That page has some clips of Wolfe's marshallheads.
congrats on the new pups
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Thanks, so I said I'd put up clips of the new pickups vs. the old pickups...

I just slapped this recording together while taking a break from studying for exams...

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/al112987/music/all/play705940

Yeah... the quality is **** but whatever, playing is also, apparently I don't remember the timing to this song as well as I thought I did and made some mistakes, but it's a GREAT backing track and I'm going to record it again with the Wolfetones anyway so I don't really care too much about how well I played on it. These are with the WCRs.
I think the best Page tones come from playing a little sloppy.

It's a nice tone, I'm looking forward to the new pups as well.

I also picked up a new pup recently.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Woah, congrats on the new acquisition dude.

HNPD.

I rarely see you put up a NGD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
poor college student, need to save the money but I swear to god I have pickup gas like nothing else sometime.

anyway, an update, I got around to installing these finally, they sound alright, the Dr. Vintage neck is amazing though, best neck pickup I think I've ever heard, very piano like when played clean and very usable throughout the entire volume and tone range, my little experiment in the bridge is going to take some tweaking. then funny thing happened, I switched to the middle position....

Shiiiiittttttt, the pickups were out of phase, LUCKILY I ordered my rewind to come back uncovered, it's actually ironic, I got it uncovered specifically so I could do the PG mod if I wanted, but I was still a little irked at the fact that I had to pull the pickup, take everything apart, de-solder, flip the magnet and re-assemble everything. It's good now, but it's very late and I can't get a true gauge on the pickup's sound because my roommates are asleep.

Les paul with it's new pickups and a top wrap
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 24, 2009,