Page 1 of 2
I found I music school here nearby:2.5hours of theory(and also music history and stuff) and 1 hour guitar a week.
And it's classical guitar(spanish acoustic).You have to do this 3years before you can go to electric guitar.Could someone tell me why this is?

I'm 18 and I want to learn electric guitar but I'm willing to practice daily 3 to 5hours(don't want to become pro or something,just be 'good' and play in a band).I like punk:blink 182,good charlotte,cauterize,sum 41,...
I'm already practicing on acoustic guitar I found here at home(1.5-2 months).

Do you guys think it's a good idea this music school thing?

(Btw sorry for my bad English,2nd time I post this because 1st time in wrong topic)
You have to learn classical guitar for 3 years before moving to electric? Sorry man, but that's BS.

Only learn classical if that's what you're interested in. And tbh if you're going to be playing punk, classical training is only going to hinder your goals.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Yeah, that's not right.

That's why I quit guitar class in school in 1week when they were talking crap like that. I just taught myself, and now im pretty good.

I'd advise just teaching yourself, this is a great place to learn, and google is your friend as well. Also, in my beginner stage, I would look up different lessons on youtube, and thos come sometimes come in handy. Hope this helped.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by Yerjam
You have to learn classical guitar for 3 years before moving to electric? Sorry man, but that's BS.

Only learn classical if that's what you're interested in. And tbh if you're going to be playing punk, classical training is only going to hinder your goals.

Yeah, playing classical will only make you good, and that's not what you want when you want to play in a punk band.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I don't have a problem with teaching myself but I need someone to track my progress and tell me where to go to reach my goal.
So not a good idea?
There are plenty of people that teach themselves. Read some guides, etc. You can track your own progress.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
In some ways this is considered good teaching, and basically it forces you to actually learn guitar instead of aimlessly playing punk.

But at the same time I'm a firm believer that if you just play guitar for fun, you should be able to play whatever the hell you want.
Quote by FlyingStar
I don't have a problem with teaching myself but I need someone to track my progress and tell me where to go to reach my goal.
So not a good idea?

The classical classes? No. You'll only lose interest in learning guitar if that's not where your goals are. If you still want a tutor there should be plenty of people that are more geared towards what you want to be playing.

Failing that, get together with some of your friends that play guitar and learn from/with them.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Well, i believe that with 18yrs you should know AT LEAST one person that plays an instrument, if hes not a guitarist ask him/her if they know any and then go to em' and have them point you in the right direction, im self taught and im pretty good. You use music school just if you plan on going pro and making a living out of it hehe.

Youtube/Google/Ultimate-Guitar Are your friends, use them wisely and you will get good =]
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I will say that the classical guitar training will definitely help you in almost anything you choose to do with music. For the people who tell him to just teach himself and everything because he wants to play punk, that's cool and all, but you can have classical training and still play punk. Hell, he could fuse classical elements into punk and create a whole new sound we've never heard.

Though to play acoustic for 3 years before going electric seems kinda harsh, none the less, Acoustics do help your finger strength.
**** THAT you need to go for what YOU want to learn. get out of that and look up some stuff online. you'd be surprised what you can find on here...

Actually try out the ultimate guide to guitar. its on this site somewhere in the columns. helped me out alot
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Whammy
Crybaby
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Proco Rat
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
EHX Small Clone
EHX Pulsar Tremolo
Boss RE 20 Space Echo
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Fender Frontman 65R
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, playing classical will only make you good, and that's not what you want when you want to play in a punk band.
You say that sarcastically, but you're actually spot on. That's part of the idea of a punk band, they aren't exactly known for lightning fast scale runs.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by JesusCrisp

no offense, this man is exactly right.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
It might mean 3 grades of classical guitar.

Anyways it can't hurt to learn classical, and all the theory on a classical.

You wouldn't regret it. and after all they are both guitars, and punk requires little technical skill.
ive been learning classical for ages - but for myself i mostly play prog metal and blues

learning classical is the best decision ive ever made, even though im not really interested in it
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I did classical guitar (well I tried to anyway) for 5 years or so surprisingly enough most if not all of my guitar techniques I learnt during that period, I gained a whole new appreciation for a wider range of music, and I actually learnt the theory behind music. Don't think of classical guitar as a waste of time mate you'll only get out of it what you put in it, if you really think that it is a waste of time then drop it since you aren't going to like it and no doubt will waste your time and your teachers time. So yeah if you don't want to do it then find another teacher who will teach you what you want otherwise try out the classical guitar for a month or two to see if you can enjoy it.
I had this stupid perception that classical guitar and electric was something completly different that's why I was a bit scared of learning 2instruments from the beginning.

But now I know it will help me with my technical abilities I'm going to do it.Playing punk will come very fast so I need this challenge(and it's not actually that I hate classical music).

Thanks for your advice guys.
Hey guys I sended an email to Kevin R. Gallagher(some of you guys now him I think,he plays both,classical en electric and is very good at both).

''Focus on electric playing if that is your main goal. Take classical lessons on the side – it will give you some ideas and insights that you won’t get from electric study, but it’s not going to teach you electric guitar. As I’ve said, you can’t learn one by learning the other – you can expand your ideas by learning both but you can’t learn electric by playing classical nor vice versa.

If it were true that classical technique is best for electric playing, then every classical player would burn on the electric. Most classical players can’t play electric well at all. The ones who can play electric well learned the style separately.

Best

Kevin''

What do you think?
OK here it goes then(also non punk):
sum 41,
Cauterize,
Good charlotte,
Blink 182(favorite one),
Editors,
SR-71,
Fightstar,
Foo Fighters,
Jimmy Eat World,
Lostprophets,
Mest,
New Found Glory,
Papa Roach,
Plus 44,
Queens of the Stonge Age,
Red Hot Chili PEppers,
Rise Against,
Sugarcult,
Three Days Grace,
The Used,
Yellowcard,
Zebrahead
Neo-Classical Shredder? Yay.
Punk? Nay.

know your goals.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
Neo-Classical Shredder? Yay.
Punk? Nay.

know your goals.

Could you explain please?
learn what you want, or you WILL fail at it completely.

Also, I like black.

im self taught (fairly good) and no classic guitar BS
Pain is weakness leaving your body.
classical guitar isn´t BS.
It just doesn´t appeal to some.

Also, I like black.

Any technics that you learn on a classical guitar can be used on an electric.

They say classical guitars are the best for biginners becacuse of the nylon strings. (easier to press down). They also say that accoustics in general are better for beginners. I personally find my strat a hell of alot easier to play then my accoustic. I actually stated think that the accoustic hindered my learning when i first brought my strat. But thats just me....

If you really have no interest in classical guitar then dont force yourslef. Especially for three years. You will probally end up quiting before the 3 years is up and may not ever learn electric like you wanted.

Self taught is not a bad idea. Grab a beginner book from your local music shop. Practice heaps, Get frustrated heaps, swear alot practice more... play again the next day and then you realise that you can play what you strugling with the previous day... After a while you can play the whole song.

Then you can start practicing songs that you like from tab section here on ug. Thats when you appreciate learning guitar, when you can play what you wanna play... (sounds simple and stupid but its true). Remember Jimi Hendrix was a self taught guitarist. Arguably one of the greatest guitarists of all time ( but we will leave that for the other thread that has been floating around lately).

You can learn alot from classical guitar. Randy Rhoads loved playing classical guitar and they say that he's metal tone comes from his classical style.

You could also find another school...

And you could also buy an electric to play at home and learn classical at school.

Hope this helps.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by FlyingStar
Page 1 man

This IS page 1, foo'.

40ppp ftw.

And, uh, yeah. Still waiting for teh punx.
I'm basically a metal head, but I would love to take three years learning classical guitar. But if you don't see yourself loving to learn classical guitar it would be pointless for you to try. If you like punk, go play punk. It's a lot easier to learn guitar if you play the styles you like.
It's not like classical guitar is going to make you play bad, I say take it.

And you say you like punk, and you have no Dead Kennedys?
I did the "learn classical first!" technique. Let me just say: THE MOST USELESS THING I EVER WASTED MY TIME/MONEY ON! I eventually bought myself an electric, and now I almost never touch my classical unless im feeling very peaceful, Ive never used any classical style technique outside of my lessons... EVER!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Yahto Sun
ITT: faux-punker.

Shut the f*ck up seriously.
If you are frustrated go see a shrink or something...
(God I hate those types of guys,play the tough guys on the internet but if you meet them in real life....)

Yahto Sun just a question how old are you?
Last edited by FlyingStar at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by rhettro
I'm basically a metal head, but I would love to take three years learning classical guitar. But if you don't see yourself loving to learn classical guitar it would be pointless for you to try. If you like punk, go play punk. It's a lot easier to learn guitar if you play the styles you like.

Yes you're right,I'm going to see if it's something for me and if it's not I can still take another teacher or learn on my own.
Quote by FlyingStar
Yes you're right,I'm going to see if it's something for me and if it's not I can still take another teacher or learn on my own.

Exactly. Good luck.
I agree with everyone who said there's nothing wrong with learning classical guitar. If you really want to take lessons and it's the only option I say go for it. Keep in mind that the theory you will be learning is universl to all guitar styles so it will be far from a waste. Also, I doubt they make you sign a contract or something like that stating that you'll play nothing but classical guitar for the next three years. There's no reason why you can't play punk when you're not in lessons, not to mention picking up simpler styles like punk will be a breeze compared to the classical you will be getting taught.
Quote by FlyingStar
Shut the f*ck up seriously.
If you are frustrated go see a shrink or something...
(God I hate those types of guys,play the tough guys on the internet but if you meet them in real life....)

Yahto Sun just a question how old are you?

Lol. If you want me to tell you anything, stop pretending you listen to punk.
Quote by Yahto Sun
ITT: faux-punker.
Quote by Yahto Sun
Lol. If you want me to tell you anything, stop pretending you listen to punk.

Shut up.

As many people said, being classically trained is completely unnecessary for the music you want to play and if you're not interested in classical music you'll give up quickly.
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 9, 2009,
While there's nothing wrong with learning classical guitar, it's harder to translate to electric after. Remember, electric players almost always play with a pick, and classical guitarists do not. I don't think I've ever seen a classical player who uses a pick. I'd learn on a steel stringed guitar, with a pick.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2