Hi i was wondering does the boss ac adapter for its pedals simply output a 9v DC signal? If so it should be possible to buy a pedal from the US and use it in a different country with a different mains supply as long as i get the equivalent AC adapter which outputs the same 9V DC signal, right?
If you can get the same power that people in america get into that pedal then sure it would power an american pedal.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by shademaker
Hi i was wondering does the boss ac adapter for its pedals simply output a 9v DC signal? If so it should be possible to buy a pedal from the US and use it in a different country with a different mains supply as long as i get the equivalent AC adapter which outputs the same 9V DC signal, right?

as long as the plug you use supplys 9v no mater what country it is from or will be used in it will work fine
kk thanks guys. do you know if the ac adapter has to output the exact same voltage as the boss one?
obviously ill try to get one which is identical
Quote by shademaker
kk thanks guys. do you know if the ac adapter has to output the exact same voltage as the boss one?
obviously ill try to get one which is identical

if you get the boss adapter it is the same all over the world ecept it has the correct plug for the region, the output will be the same in europe which recieves a mains supply of 240v and in america where it recieves 120v in both places the adapter will step the voltage down to 9v for the effect pedal
The boss unit, I believe, is 9.6 volts, but any 9v adapter will be fine. As long as the pedal sees 9 (or 9.6) volts, it will be just fine.

It should be easy enough to find a 9v adapter for any country, so it should be simple enough to use an american pedal overseas.
Any adapter will work provided it 1) is 9V output and is correct for the country you're in (240V or 120V) 2) has sufficient amperage rating - check the adapters label, most do for a pedal but computer/cell phone type ones may be low on the output amperage 3) the plug fits the pedal and has correct polarity. Most adapters also specify their polarity, but it's also possible to splice on a different tip for the pedal to reverse the polarity or to make it fit. I've done this many times..
i meant to say in my earlier post does it need to have the same output current but i think nutbag sorta answered that... so its ok if the output current is a little higher but not ok if its a little lower?
Yes and no, it depends on what you mean by output current.

In regards to the volts, the adapter should output 9.6 volts or 9 volts. You should try to stay as close to what the pedal needs as possible, or slightly lower - the circuit can still run if the voltage is a tad low. Too high and you can fry - so nothing above the 9.6 probably. Think of voltage as intensity.

The amperage rating of adapter, usually seen in milliamps, should be equal or greater to what the pedal demands. Preferably it's a bit higher - I think of it like the payload capacity of the adapter. Also, it may say in the pedals specs what its current draw in milliamps is, so just make sure that adapter rating > pedal.