So, my Jazz band directer decided to make me the guitar soloist in our jazz ensamble. Which is a cool thing, I guess . The problem is that he wants me to use my own amp (cause our rhythm guitarist uses the schools peavey bandit), but I have a less than amazing crate amp. So I figure I can scrap together about $350 for a new amp by the time our competition comes around , I Just need a point in the right direction of where to go looking for amps with good jazz tone (because until about three months ago I was strictly a hard rock / Metal guitarist, but I'm doing to jazz to branch out my styles). I was thinking about the Vox AC4TV/V112TV Half Stack, but if you think there's something better I'll look into it. Cheers

Long story short: I need a good amp that will be able to comp smoothly and cut through a full jazz ensemble during solos.
I know you noted the $350 dollar part but if money turns out to not be an issue go ahead a get a marshall half stack. They're pretty versatile.
Quote by inbloom27
get a high end solid state, tube amps break up at higher volumes and sound bad for jazz

lol.

I say Peavey Vypyr 75.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Im not really sure of the price but I'd imagine a USED Roland Jazz Chorus would be around your budget. From what I hear they have awesome cleans, and since its solid state it wont break up and you'll still have that jazz tone
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
I think you should get a roland cube 30. Or that um 15 watt amp they have, I forget what its called, It was so many effects useful things, for a solid state, that your balls may fall off
Quote by Rob Hereticae
I know you noted the $350 dollar part but if money turns out to not be an issue go ahead a get a marshall half stack. They're pretty versatile.

This would be perfect:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-Jazz-Chorus-77-Amp-JC-77-w-Footswitch_W0QQitemZ250500288451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a52fb0fc3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-PEAVEY-400-Series-Jazz-Classic-Guitar-Amp-1x15_W0QQitemZ360185238340QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dcb69344&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you want to stick to new items, have a look at the Bugera V22. It's a surprisingly good Vox-esque tube amp for exactly $350, and very impressive sounding for the price. It's also got the balls to handle heavier styles reasonably well if you get bored of jazz.
A Peavey Transtube would probably be my second choice.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 18, 2009,
i really like using smaller fender tube amps for jazz ensemble performances. (Assuming your doing to standard swing and big band style pieces.) also i love using ampeg tube combos.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.