Hi. I've been experimenting with gear ever since I lack the money not to My setup's a Washburn X10 (cheapest guitar that looks convincing) -> a Zoom G1 multi-effect -> an Electronica PM-4 mixing console (Soviet Union, 1991) -> a home-made IC-based 20W amp which fits in my palm.
I've tried different scenarios, such as playing through all that gear at home; bringing it over to a friend's place where we plug in my guitar through the G1, another Washburn X10 (if you ever have to buy a X10, buy the black one. much better quality) through a Boss DS-1, and a bass right into the mixer, and then the mixer into a Randall 15W; plugging my guitar into the microphone port of a computer and playing with Amplitube. And hum's, always, always a problem.

If I touch the tip of an audio cable which goes into the amplifier (or my stereo, too), it hums, and, if I take my feet off the ground, it stops. My G1 has a metal bottom. Although it has rubber pads in the 4 corners, when I lay it on the ground, it hums, and when I put it on a chair, it stops. Are those signs of a ground loop happening? And what else can I do to fight hum? Any consumer feedback on whether the X10 tends to hum, and, if so, can it be fixed? How about a noise gate? The noise gate on my G1 can stop hum when I'm not playing to a fairly decent level, but as soon as I touch a string, the signal causes the gate to unblock, and the hum is again audible. Would this work better than that?

[/rant]
Dude you gotta do like swissgar did on metalocolypse you have to jump out of a plane to record.

:EDIT: i forgot to mention to make sure your guitar is properly grounded
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
Last edited by STAN_THA_MAN at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by STAN_THA_MAN
Dude you gotta do like swissgar did on metalocolypse you have to jump out of a plane to record.

YES!
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Quote by STAN_THA_MAN

:EDIT: i forgot to mention to make sure your guitar is properly grounded

pretty much.

did i mention that this is win?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
How do I check it? The cavities in my guitar are covered with rough black paint with some thin scratches that show a metallic layer underneath. Where the springs are, there's a black wire running from a hole in the middle (my guess is that it goes to the pickups) soldered to the part with hooks for the springs. In the cavity where the pots and switch are I've soldered one end of a wire to what seemed to be the ground, and the other I've duct-taped to the metal foil which is stuck to the lid of the cavity (can't solder it, since it's some sort of metalized plastic, or paper). Seems Washburn's took some care to make the guitar OK. With the pedal off the ground the buzz is inaudible - until I add some distortion...

I've heard all kinds of old bands which certainly didn't have ISP Decimators. And there's not a sign of hum in their tracks. There has to be a solution.
Quote by Fallenblood
I've heard all kinds of old bands which certainly didn't have ISP Decimators. And there's not a sign of hum in their tracks. There has to be a solution.

Don't be decieved, they have very good studio technicians. I can't help with the grounding issue, but I assure you there was hum and buzz. You are correct, however; there is a solution for this.
------

Shwiggity.
Sounds like eitheer your guitar or your pedal board are causing a ground loop with the bottom of the pedal. First things first, replace the duct tape with proper solder. Secondly, maybe try insulating the bottom of your pedal board. Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.