You have to be able to play anything the way that anyone wants it.

So you better be ****ing good.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Last edited by Erik_Aero at Sep 18, 2009,
this good.

*spreads arms three or four feet apart and smiles with a smile that makes you instantly uncomfortable.*
I have no opinion on this matter.
You have to be able to play basically everything well and make it look like you're a master at it.

You have to be able to sight read like crazy (Jazz music will rape you here), know your theory, know what your client really wants even if they suck at explaining stuff and you need good gear unless they're willing to sponsor you something for their track.

EDIT: You basically have to be on par with Guthrie Govan in terms of playing skill and versatility.
extremely good at sightreading, on-the-spot transposition of keys, mastery of chord chart reading, versatile in a variety of styles, but most often pop and jazz.

Being a rock/metal guitarist will likely not make you a session guitarist in this day.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
You have to be OVER 9000!!!!

Sorry...I had to.
This space has been intentionally left blank.
Quote by Baldorr

Sorry...I had to.

You could have at least done it better... =_=
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
You have to be Shaft with a guitar, basically. If you're not, you'll never be a session player.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Baldorr

Sorry...I had to.

OVER 9,000?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
you have to be well versed in Theory and a ton of different styles of music, and you have to be able to sight read.
You have to be really good and musically versatile. You also need to be able to sightread, which means you have to learn how to read music. I'm guessing you can't. You also need to be able to improvise really well.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 18, 2009,