neither of my guitars have been set up for a different string gauge other than the stock 9-42s - but i have moved to 9-46s since then.

just wondering if i had one set up for, say 9-48s, 10-48s, 10-50s or 11-50s, how would the guitar cope with going back to 9-42s or 9-46s?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
It'll be fine, just adjust the intonation, and if you have a floating bridge the string/spring tensions
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Rule of thumb: Changes up one step in string gauge usually doesn't need a new setup. Changes of string gauge take a day to set in sometimes, usually until the strings settle in (New strings might buzz but stop when its broken in a little). The bigger the difference in string gagues when you change, the more likely it is you need to make a adjustment. If you change the strings and its fine, then good for you.

TLDR: All changes sometimes need adjustments. Just do it and adjust if you need to. If you don't, your lucky.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
yea next time i need a string change im going to put it into the shop to have an all round setup cause im due.

you usualy shouldnt unless its a big gauge jump. But after a while, even if you havent changed gauge, you usualy need a tune up basicaly.
i was wondering what happens if i were to put 9-42s on a guitar set up for 11-50s
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Bob_Smith
i was wondering what happens if i were to put 9-42s on a guitar set up for 11-50s

Probably a small truss rod change and maybe chance the action a little along with the intonation. Pretty much the minor things every guitarist should know how to do.

Edit: Its really hard to say since its not always the same for every guitar.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
if you cant do those things (or dont trust yourself to do risky stuff like the truss rod - i personaly dont trust myself) then take it to the shop, wont take them long