I went to a local music store to try out some small 15 watt practice amps to replace my ****ty ass Frontman at my moms (MY VETTA IS AT MY DADS HOUSE) and came across the Spider IV (75 watt mind you 12 more amp models than 15 watt). I decided to try it.

I was blown away. The high gain tones were astounding. Very up to par with my Vetta. I actually believe they are X3 models, but I can't confirm that. Very smooth (Unlike the III, as we all know) VERY heavy tones, and nice and cutting but not too much treble so you go deaf. Tons of gain, without getting too mushy. It is an all around great amp. I didn't try the 15 watt though, for they didn't have one. I ended up getting a 15 watt Vypyr for practive at my mom's house instead. So this is a NAD too. I loved the Vypyr's high gain models as well. Especcially the JSX, XXX and Rec models. 6505 was greatm but had lots of feedback :/

Anyways, there you have it
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Sep 18, 2009,
search bar
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by chrisg7
search bar

wut
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
lol.

I'll believe it when I play it.

Edit: Actually, I don't think my local store even stocks crappy equipment. I've only seen Fender, Peavey, Roland, The Heritage, Jackson, and other quality equipment.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 18, 2009,
Nice! i have yet to try the Spider IV coz they haven't shipped to where i live yet. (secluded corner of the world that i live in.....)

I've heard both good and bad comments about it. as opposed to the Spider III and II series that only had extremely angry people taking the piss.

Quote by chrisg7
search bar

did you even bother reading the post, or were you too eager to look smart and try to impress everyone with your reply. yeah sure. you're looking real cool and matured now my friend.
Quote by chrisg7
search bar

Try reading his post first next time? Kay?
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Balmazer
Try reading his post first next time? Kay?

i did read his post, but there are a million other threads about the spider 4 where he could discuss this
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
I went to a local music store to try out some small 15 watt practice amps to replace my ****ty ass Frontman at my moms (MY VETTA IS AT MY DADS HOUSE) and came across the Spider IV (75 watt mind you 12 more amp models than 15 watt). I decided to try it.

I was blown away. The high gain tones were astounding. Very up to par with my Vetta. I actually believe they are X3 models, but I can't confirm that. Very smooth (Unlike the III, as we all know) VERY heavy tones, and nice and cutting but not too much treble so you go deaf. Tons of gain, without getting too mushy. It is an all around great amp. I didn't try the 15 watt though, for they didn't have one. I ended up getting a 15 watt Vypyr for practive at my mom's house instead. So this is a NAD too. I loved the Vypyr's high gain models as well. Especcially the JSX, XXX and Rec models. 6505 was greatm but had lots of feedback :/

Anyways, there you have it

i've heard differently about the Spider IV but the Vypyr was a good choice, i own the 75 watt and i use the 6505 model most of the time, and just the noise gate from my multi-effects pedal and it cuts out all the feedback, i sometimes just leave my amp on while im playing piano or something (all my instruments are in my garage) and i'll forget its on, its awesome, but anyways, HNAD!
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by chrisg7
i did read his post, but there are a million other threads about the spider 4 where he could discuss this

not without getting flamed. I am glad he posted this. It is refreshing.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I've actually read some good things about the Spider IV. I guess it's really subjective.
Quote by Alex Vik
lol.

Edit: Actually, I don't think my local store even stocks crappy equipment. I've only seen Fender, Peavey, Roland, The Heritage, Jackson, and other quality equipment.

Trust me, I wasn't expecting much either. It really surprised me.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Trust me, I wasn't expecting much either. It really surprised me.

Well, it will have to wait until I need to go to Guitar Center, because I'm 99% sure my local store doesn't stock Spiders. I walked through it the other day, and don't recall seeing one, but there might be one hidden behind all of the halfstacks.
Quote by chrisg7

And mine was the first.

I didn't hear any resemblance to a Vetta either of the two times I tried it. I thought the distortion sounds were worse than a Spider III's. The cleans are where I heard the most improvement.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Alex Vik
lol.

Fender, Peavey, Roland, The Heritage, and Jackson are not quality equipment in and of themselves. and all of those companies have been known to make anywhere from great to "so-so", to pretty crappy equipment.

brand name =/= quality necessarily

and your edit also implies that Line 6 does not make quality equipment, which is wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
Fender, Peavey, Roland, The Heritage, and Jackson are not quality equipment in and of themselves. and all of those companies have been known to make anywhere from great to "so-so", to pretty crappy equipment.

and your edit also implies that Line 6 does not make quality equipment, which is wrong.

Yea, I've played **** stuff by all of those brands. The last few Heritage guitars I tried are worthy of mention as some of the ****tiest I've ever played. There was one in that group that was just awesome though. I've played something extremely ****ty by the other brands as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Bright Light

No, but I meant that it was quality equipment by those brands that they stock. Well, minus the Peavey Windsor and Fender Frontman halfstacks they have. All of the Heritage guitars they have are custom order, the Roland amps are great, and I think the cheapest Jackson they have is one of those Dinkys.

And my edit implied that Spiders were crap, when did I say Line 6 was crap?
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
...Well, minus the Peavey Windsor...

The Windsor is an amazing amp! Can't say the same about the cab (or really any Peavey guitar cab for that matter) but the head is awesome.

TS: Glad you think that the Spider IV is a great amp. I haven't personally tried one but I've heard from several people that they actually sound worse overall than the III's. To each his own though
Quote by i_am_metalhead

The Windsor is an amazing amp! Can't say the same about the cab (or really any Peavey guitar cab for that matter) but the head is awesome.

Eh, I'm not a fan of it. Maybe it's just the cab, but I really don't like the overdrive. The cleans were ok.
Spider IV = Spider III w/ a makeover.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
Spider IV = Spider III w/ a makeover.

First, what does that even mean, and second, how in the F do you even know that? Are you one of the Line 6 engineers who designed the Spider IV?

Trashing an amp that most here have probably never even heard doesn't make you cool....just in case you failed to realize that.
on thursday there was a live broadcast on ustream with the line 6 guys talking about the spider IV (i should've made a thread with the link). also, i went to guitar center after school yesterday with my bandmates. i tried the spider IV, and thought it was much closer to the POD than the spider III. might just be me, but it was a bit more smooth and naturally suonding, i was able to get some neat tones. the 3/4 closed back cab also helps, adds a bit more punch. if you're gonna use your spider prejudices and dismiss the IV as a III with a makeover, fine, but open your ears and you'll see that it's definetely been improved. the harmonizer also isn't that bad
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well, guys, the Insane channel does sound worse, but the Metal channel and high-gain channel (only on the 75 watt or above..) sounded effing great
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
tried the 15w.

Cleans and the mid- lo gain channels were better than what i expected. the High Gain channels were improved but its still nothing special.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Well, guys, the Insane channel does sound worse, but the Metal channel and high-gain channel (only on the 75 watt or above..) sounded effing great

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. They call it the "Insane Channel" because you'd have to be insane to like it(Just a joke to flamers who say I am bandwagoning, but I need to tell bad jokes on the weekends because I have no friends over).

I wish any store near me stocked spiders, because I have been wanting to try the spider valve. If I can find one, I will compare the III and IV.

EDIT: And because I cannot believe I just hit the post button...

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Sep 19, 2009,
I dunno if it's just me, but I never expected to be blown away by a practice amp. I still think it's cool that you can drop a tiny amount of money and walk away with an amp that will let you dabble in many different genres.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^Well sure. Obviously it doesn't even compare to any high gain tube amp past the $600 mark. I was mainly blown away by the fact that the Spider went from the worst practice amp ever made (debateable...) to one of the best (also debateable...)
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by ch0
I dunno if it's just me, but I never expected to be blown away by a practice amp. I still think it's cool that you can drop a tiny amount of money and walk away with an amp that will let you dabble in many different genres.

Yeah, I honestly think these amps only get a bad rap because when people make threads, they ask whether to get a Spider III 150 or a Single Recto etc. These are fine for practice amps, they aren't loud, sound decent and have alot of effects. And they are petty cheap in the smaller versions, what more can you ask? Now there are some better modelers, but they are a little bit more.