Poll: Is it possible for ghosts to exist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it possible for ghosts to exist?
I believe in ghosts, so I believe it's possible
60 28%
I personally don't believe in ghosts, but sure, it's possible
61 28%
I don't believe in ghosts, and I don't believe it's possible they exist.
94 44%
Voters: 215.
Page 1 of 2
I'm not asking if you believe in ghosts, I'm asking if you believe it's possible that they exist.

I personally believe ghosts don't exist, but I'm kind of on the fence right now on whether or not I believe it's possible they could exist.

Another related note is that I think people tend to throw ghosts in with God on the whole "Their lack of existence can never be disproved" idea, but I think God is a little bit of a bad analogy to use because the idea (or the most common idea I hear) is that God exists outside of the physical world, and Science is mainly the study of the physical world around us, so it's kind of useless to look at the idea of God from a scientific perspective (I'm not trying to sound like a creationist here, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to say something bad about atheism).

But ghosts are a bit different from God in that sense. People claim to see ghosts and often times claim that they can move physical objects and shit. So if someone claims to see a ghost, or claims that a ghost moved a physical material object, then essentially what they're claiming is that the ghost is in some way or another is part of this physical world, so the subject in general can be looked at from a more scientific perspective.

Anyways, apart from that, do you believe it's possible ghosts can exist?

Wait for the poll.

And yeah, I should define "ghost":

ghost: the soul of a dead person, a disembodied spirit imagined, usually as a vague, shadowy or evanescent form, as wandering among or haunting living persons.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 18, 2009,
no
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
they can exist...in your imagination
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
no.
He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages
I don't believe in ghosts and anyone who believes in god shouldn't either... (i don't believe in god but the points I am making is it isn't mentioned in the bible about ghosts or how they fit in with angels and demons...)

Beside that... it's a little bit funny how these outrageous facts come up about how they come out at night, if a door creeks in a house where a guy died it must be haunted... etc..

On a similar note - anyone find it funny how most things you see in paranormal shows are just the peoples reactions to supposed ghosts and you never actually see it?
Quote by VANGELIS!
Please define ghost, sir.
ghost: the soul of a dead person, a disembodied spirit imagined, usually as a vague, shadowy or evanescent form, as wandering among or haunting living persons.
Although the idea of ghosts is scary, I don't believe it is physically possible.

To be able to pass through walls AND also move physical objects, ghosts must have the ability to control the frequency at which their "cells" vibrate. Which seems impossible itself.

Also, what would they be made of? Cells? Energy?

Animals have conscious minds as well as humans, yet animal ghosts are never seen while they greatly out number the human population.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
demons yes, ghosts no.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Another thing I thought of... How can you have conflicting feelings on ghosts? Such as not believing in them but accept the possibility they exist? Thats contradicting.
That's just one of those things that I think is impossible to truly know the answer to. No one know what happens to you after you die, if anything at all.
Quote by ehlert99
Another thing I thought of... How can you have conflicting feelings on ghosts? Such as not believing in them but accept the possibility they exist? Thats contradicting.
It's like being an agnostic atheist. They don't believe in God, but they don't believe it's impossible God exists, and they believe it's unknowable.
Yes, don't look behind you.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I don't believe in ghosts, but it's entirely possible. It's similar to the thought, "Are evil clams from the 9th dimension our true rulers, but they just rule us from the shadows of the 9th dimension." I'm fairly certain there aren't, but it's possible.

*disclaimer*
I don't know what the 9th dimension is if there is one, I just went with the strangest thought that came to mind.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by The Madcap

Well we don't know if a soul can exist, nor any evidence that it does or of what it even is - so given our knowledge of the soul, I don't think it's reasonable to come to a conclusion on whether or not dead one's do or can exist.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
anythings possible i guess
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
No, ghosts are about as real as a black guy ever being president.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
well TS, by your logic god is in some way a part of the physical world seeing as he created and spoke and interacted with people (its in the bible). anyway, the whole poing of atheism is that there isnt any physical, empirical evidence of logical proof therefor there isnt any reason to believe god exists. why would anyone believe in something they have no evidence for? it doesnt make sense.

on to ghosts, im undecided. its hard to really get a good answer because the evidence varys greatly.
1- stories are often exagerated. often humans exagerate storeis even if they dont include the supernatural. plus once you pass them down to different people, the story can change.

2- lack of any real physical evidence. granted this would be hard to come by as they are not physical beings.

3- the mind can often play tricks on us and "fill in the gaps" when a strange event happens. often we jump to conclusions before thinking the situation through. 9 times out of 10 there is a perfectly normal explanation that we failed to find or ignore. ghosts and the supernatural have been a part of human history for a very long time. often people will jump straight to the supernatural in order to explain something. also, the more we think about the strange event, the more our mind seems to "fill in the gaps". so again with the stories, they may be exagerated.

4- video and photo documentation. first of all, i have seen some very convincing photos and videos. but you often have to wonder if there is any truth in them at all. often people will fake things to get attention or just to mess with people. sure we'd all like to think that isnt the case but it is. plus there is exposing film multiple times, relfections, light tricks, etc... that can all play a part in making something seem less natural than it is. its like when you are a kid alone in your room and you see monster shadows on the wall. its just tricks and your imagination making things seem different than they are.

in conclusion, i suppose its possible that when one dies their energy could some how live on. but i doubt it. also its possible they arent ghosts at all. its possible that they are actually beings from another universe. perhaps our universe and other universes converge at some points. perhaps in another universe they see us and think we are ghosts. i dont know, just another idea. frankly niether have any real evidence. its possible that when you see things move about on their own its just some sort of glitch in physics we just havent figured out yet.
I do believe in them. I went to Savannah, Georgia last year, which is supposed to be the most haunted city in the U.S.A. There is an (allegedly) haunted restaurant that I saw on TV that I decided to go to(I believe it was called the Pirate House or something like that). Me and my friend snuck downstairs to kind of explore a little bit. I didn't believe in ghosts, but I was just kinda hoping to see something so that my dinner there wouldn't be a total waste(It was rather expensive, especially for a teenager).

We got downstairs and it looked like a group of conference rooms that weren't being used. They were really dimly lit(Which was already starting to creep me out) and there was nobody down there, which made it even weirder that the lights were on at all. We were just walking around,and we were both kind of creeped out. We walked in a room and, I shit you not, the door behind us closed. This was the most scared I've ever been in my life and my heart felt like it would come out of my chest. That creeped us the hell out, so we opened the door up and literally sprinted around the basement trying to find the exit.

I turned around to make sure my friend was still with me, and I swear to god, I saw a lady walk through the wall. She was dressed in old clothes(Like 1800's.) Right when we ran up the stairs, we found my parents and got the hell out of there.

Until then, I didn't really believe in ghosts, although my friend did. But after that, I definitely do.

We went again a couple of months ago to try and check it out again, but the rooms were being used.

Now obviously I don't expect anybody here to believe me, especially since it sounds like a cliche ghost story, but I just thought I'd share since we're on the topic. I'm actually getting really creeped out right now just thinking about it.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well TS, by your logic god is in some way a part of the physical world seeing as he created and spoke and interacted with people (its in the bible). anyway, the whole poing of atheism is that there isnt any physical, empirical evidence of logical proof therefor there isnt any reason to believe god exists. why would anyone believe in something they have no evidence for? it doesnt make sense.
I never said anything about the bible. Plenty of people believe in a god, without believing in any religions like Judaism or Christianity. And Atheism is defined as the belief or doctrine that there is no god. Apart from little details here and there, the rest of your post that I didn't quote I mainly agree with, so I won't address it.
Quote by The Madcap
I never said anything about the bible. Plenty of people believe in a god, without believing in any religions like Judaism or Christianity. And Atheism is defined as the belief or doctrine that there is no god. Apart from little details here and there, the rest of your post that I didn't quote I mainly agree with, so I won't address it.

i know you didnt. but actually pretty much every religion i can think of has god(s) interacting with people. so again, they must be some what in the physical world.

and actually believing there is no god and not believing in god are not the same. most atheists will tell you there isnt evidence for god so there is no reason to believe in god. i doubt you will find atheists who just say they believe there is no god and leave it at that. if you do come accross any, they arent very smart or they might be trying to piss you off. on a basic level, you are right. simply atheism is not being a theist. but the main arguement for atheism is what i described in my post and its what most atheists follow.
Boo!
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by The Madcap

No, it isn't defined as 'the belief... ' anything. An atheist can have the belief that there is no god, but the word atheism doesn't imply that they do. I really don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but I think it's important to distinguish between having a belief about god/s and not having a belief about them, which is what the word atheism implies.

So dem ghosts.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Last edited by VANGELIS! at Sep 18, 2009,
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
good stuff.

You sum up my thoughts exactly! I find it interesting much more so than religion and god. It's possible like you say there could be a 'glitch' or a crossover between different universes or 'plains' or whatever. I don't wanna end up sounding like one of those psuedoscience types because i'm not. I think we can discount a hell of a lot of ghost sightings too. I'd say maybe 95% (because it's so easy to edit photos now) but theres that 5% or whatever it is that seem to be something else..
No. 0%. Not real. You might see lights or shadows in the dark; not ghosts.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i know you didnt. but actually pretty much every religion i can think of has god(s) interacting with people. so again, they must be some what in the physical world.
Meh, semantics....
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
and actually believing there is no god and not believing in god are not the same. most atheists will tell you there isnt evidence for god so there is no reason to believe in god. i doubt you will find atheists who just say they believe there is no god and leave it at that. if you do come accross any, they arent very smart or they might be trying to piss you off. on a basic level, you are right. simply atheism is not being a theist. but the main arguement for atheism is what i described in my post and its what most atheists follow.
1, I never said believing God doesn't exist and a lack of belief in God are the same.

2. I wasn't implying any arguments for atheism in the first place.
Quote by VANGELIS!
No, it isn't defined as 'the belief... ' anything. An atheist can have the belief that there is no god, but the word atheism doesn't imply that they do. I really don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but I think it's important to distinguish between having a belief about god/s and not having a belief about them, which is what the word atheism implies.

So dem ghosts.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism
i think so because ive seen things myself. inexplainable things that i would rather not mention.
Classical Guitarist
My first instinct is to not even remotely entertain the possibility. To anyone with a basic knowledge of the core sciences of biology physics and chemistry it should be laughable. what are they composed of? molecular ATP blobs? and the soul is a construct....

BUT....I'd admit that it's possible there is a component to the universe we aren't able to perceive. for whatever thats worth. we do have sensory limits. and its nothing to fear.
I believe in spirits due to a series of coincidences that happened to me I will not type out again, however I find it hard rationalizing their existence. Therefore, I don't know what to think.

Of course it's possible, it's still bollocks though.

It's possible to conceive of an occurance that would prove the existence of ghosts, it's just that right now we only have some vaguely unusual but not inexplicable coincidences, which aren't enough to provoke a complete rewrite of what we know about human biology.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 19, 2009,
Page 1 of 2