k so i have a show tomorrow and i think i blew my mesa triple rec head like when i turn it on it doesnt make any noise at alll and it smells burnt makes strange fizzing and pop sounds when i listen close to the head i really hope its not blown, i changed the tubes like 3 days ago so i cant have anything to due with that!??? what do i do like holy crap guys
Sounds like a blown fuse....wait...that would mean no power....I can only assume a bad tube (yes, I know you just changed them)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
ok well i checked the fuse and its good so its definalty not that, do tubes make wied poping sounds and then smell burn but still get hot?
Quote by Skierinanutshel
did you bias them after you put them in?

Yeah, who changed them?
i replaced then with the same tubes that used to be there? do i still need to re bias it, if so how do i do that?
mesa 6l6s str 4400s like exact same that were in it, however i changed them myslef but like its not rocket science you wiggle them out and put them back in. it did the same thing beofre i retubed it so im not sure whats wrong i doubt it has anything to due with the tubes howver i just changed the power amp tubes
Quote by Skierinanutshel
did you bias them after you put them in?

Mesas have a fixed bias. You can't adjust it unless you have it modded.

Did you use Mesa tubes or a matched quad from another brand? If not, then it might be the tubes
Scratch that, i see you did use mesa tubes. But maybe did you accidently hit the bias switch on the back to the EL34 setting by mistake?
Quote by -x-ERic-x-
ok well i checked the fuse and its good so its definalty not that, do tubes make wied poping sounds and then smell burn but still get hot?

They can, yes. 9/10 times any problem with a tube amp is remedied by replacing the fuse or tubes.

Try putting the old tubes back in and go from there.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
all meas tubes i never mix, i really hope its not the tubes none of them are buring blue tho but it does make a really nasty burnt smell coming out of the head and it sound litteraly like frying from the head not the cab
the recto tubes are blue around the base could that be an indicator of them being done done or should they just be weak i have 3 new ones on order but for now i have nothing
then go rent an amp..........
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
screw it

take it to a tech
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by -x-ERic-x-
k problem fixed its teh cab, regaurless tho it should not smell burnt

Smelling burnt is normal, although it depends on how strong the smell is.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
its strong enogh but new tubes too so it may take a while before they get that worked in tube kinda smell
If the problem was that the cab's connection wasn't right, then the smell could be the transformer frying itself because of a mismatched ohm connection or no connection at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the burning is probably dust inside your amp you disturbed when you changed the tubes landing on hot stuff in your amp

To the person above me, mesas are designed to mix and match cab's ohms. They actually include it in the ads on their website.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
if the cab wasent connected right the power transformer is probably toast
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Yeah, I'm no electrical engineer but the minute you blew your cab the load on your amp was probably removed and you started toasting your transformer. Thats no doubt what the burnt smell is/was. Hopefully you didnt do any more damage.
Quote by Juadafi
the burning is probably dust inside your amp you disturbed when you changed the tubes landing on hot stuff in your amp

To the person above me, mesas are designed to mix and match cab's ohms. They actually include it in the ads on their website.

the first part of what you said is possible, but unlikely to produce the kind of smell that's making TS go, "guys, i smell it frying, it's ****in' burning, omg omg what do I do?!?!?"

and yes, they're designed to mix and match loads... which is why they have a multitude of speaker outs. that means nothing if your load is dropped though. it's equivalent to turning it on, without standby, connected to nothing!

and just for everyone's info, Mesa rebrands and rebiases matched sets.
No speaker load = toast output transformer. Take your amp to a tech to have it checked out.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
and if we're right, and your trans is chernobyled, now's the perfect opportunity to get a mercury transformer installed along with a Voodoo mod (will not regret).
Quote by LukeBTH
Mesas have a non-adjustable fixed bias. You can't adjust it unless you have it modded.

Did you use Mesa tubes or a matched quad from another brand? If not, then it might be the tubes

Fixed.

Fixed bias is simply a term to state that the tubes are biased by a DC Voltage, usually through applying a negative voltage to the grid of the tube with respect to the cathode. The bias can be adjustable (trimpot) or non-adjustable (resistor). Mesa chooses to do the latter, likely to sell more of their tested tubes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Fixed.

Fixed bias is simply a term to state that the tubes are biased by a DC Voltage, usually through applying a negative voltage to the grid of the tube with respect to the cathode. The bias can be adjustable (trimpot) or non-adjustable (resistor). Mesa chooses to do the latter, likely to sell more of their tested tubes.

nice catch.