Alright I'm looking for a good DI box to run with my bass rig.

The signal path will be

|1/4 out---> bassman head
wireless unit ---> DI box -|
|XLR out---> mixer/pa

The band that I'm auditioning for (and most likely will be playing with) had an old, cheap looking direct box that I used at the gig last weekend (didn't catch a brand or model) but I really prefer using my own gear.

Edit:

I don't know how to get my picture I made there to show up right - the 1/4 out and XLR out are suppose to be on the DI box
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Sep 18, 2009,
just sounds like you need a standard di box
somethin like this
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
just sounds like you need a standard di box
somethin like this

Well I was looking more for brands. I'm not really up on the quality of different DI boxes, however I really don't trust a Behringer product because I've had bad experience with them in the past (they make very cheap, unreliable products).
^they do indeed, i don't get why they're still around and why people keep buying their stuff
as for a DI, i never understood why it was so essential.. i've played a lot of shows, and used a lot, but i've never understood why they plug the bass amp into a DI and they don't just mic it, or plug the output straight into the mixer...
I've heard the Sadowsky ones are kick ass but I don't know much about bass gear and they're like $240. Sorry I can't help more.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Tech 21/Sans Amp makes a good line of DI boxes for a variety of instruments. Their bass driver DI is very reputable and I should say studio quality really. its one of the ones sans amp is famous for. lots of great features. bass tube amp emulator, a drive knob to add some dirt to your sound if you want, eq boost switch, XLR out obviously since its also a DI box and pre-amp. well worth the $200 for any serious bass player.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-Bass-Driver-DI?sku=480206
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Darkflame
^they do indeed, i don't get why they're still around and why people keep buying their stuff
as for a DI, i never understood why it was so essential.. i've played a lot of shows, and used a lot, but i've never understood why they plug the bass amp into a DI and they don't just mic it, or plug the output straight into the mixer...

Well the band that I'm most likely going to be playing in doesn't use amps for their guitars. The lead guitarist uses a Line 6 POD XT and the rhythm guitarist uses an effects processor as well (haven't really paid much attention to which brand his is) and they either run those straight into the mixer or into a power amp and then into the mixer, not really sure about that either lol.

I use a '74 Bassman head and it doesn't have a line out to plug into the mixer so I have to plug into a DI box which sends a line level signal to the mixer and an instrument signal to my amp - which is pretty cool because I can adjust my amp how I like it and it wont change how it sounds through the mains.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Sep 19, 2009,
Alright, here's another question. I was actually looking for an EQ pedal because as we all know the Bassman can be rather limited tonally because it only has a "bass" and "treble" adjustment and this came up in my search:

Its a Seymour Duncan Paranormal Bass DI.

The only thing I'm unsure about is it doesn't say if the 1/4 is instrument or line level - wouldn't wanna plug something that's line level into my amp.
You could probably just e-mail SD. They were helpful when I had questions. The Sadowsky I suggested also has an EQ, although I'm not sure how effective it is.

EDIT: (Invalid img)

Here's info if you want it.

http://www.sadowsky.com/accessories/preamp.html
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 19, 2009,
Alright thanks mmolteratx.

I went to SD's website and looked at the owners manual for that pedal and it said that its an instrument 1/4 to run into an amp and a balanced XLR to run to a mixer/console.

However, the receiver on my wireless has a 1/4 unbalanced to run to an amp an a balanced XLR output (which I read in the owners manual is for running to a mixer). However, last week at the show I played the guy who runs sound said that I couldn't run the XLR from my wireless receiver to the mixer - I had to plug the 1/4 into a DI box and run that into the mixer.

Any clue?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Alright thanks mmolteratx.

I went to SD's website and looked at the owners manual for that pedal and it said that its an instrument 1/4 to run into an amp and a balanced XLR to run to a mixer/console.

However, the receiver on my wireless has a 1/4 unbalanced to run to an amp an a balanced XLR output (which I read in the owners manual is for running to a mixer). However, last week at the show I played the guy who runs sound said that I couldn't run the XLR from my wireless receiver to the mixer - I had to plug the 1/4 into a DI box and run that into the mixer.

Any clue?

I would assume that if it says it in the owners manual, it is possible. I'd try to find someone who has a DI and a PA system and experiment a bit just to see what you can and can't do.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

If you want a great DI box, you should go for a Radial. They make high quality stuff that is even used in studios all over.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.