Simply...what do i do now? What is a good way to progress from simply teaching myself chords, scales and tabs of songs i like. Im stumped with how to progress as a guitarist...any ideas?
A good way to put what you have learned to use is get some backing tracks and improvise solos over them with the scales you know. Better yet, record yourself playing some progressions and improvise over those. To expand on what you know, look into 7th, extended and jazz type chords, modes (including those of other scales like the harmonic and melodic minor), and advanced techniques like artificial harmonics, tapping, sweeping and others of the like. Learning to read music (well) would also be a big advantage.
what you should do is really think about what you want to be able to do as a guitarist. then work on that. If all you want is to be able to play really fast, start working on speed. If you want to be competent at everything instead of awesome at one thing (advisable) learn a mixture of advanced techniques.

I also suggest trying to play in genres of music you never would touch normally. For example, if you are a rock type, find yourself some funk or flamenco songs to play. Or learn a few traditional chinese songs. it will make you awesome. Also just find a bunch of songs that have the types of things you want to be able to play and try to learn them.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
jam with other musicians. Theory is important, but nothing is as important as developing your ear as a musician. Without that, all the theory in the world wont' help you interact successfully with other players.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Yeah, a harder song is definately the one sure fire way to expose where your technique flaws are.

One thing that improved my playing no end was when I started recording some simple little songs of my own. I learned so much in technique, musically, and also in the whole mental aspect. I learned how to record a solo by just having a mental outline of where it would go - not exactly complete improvisation, more like I would work out the arc of the solo, but I learned the freedom to let go and make it up on the fly but within that arc. That, to me was a very important skill to develop. As part of that I learned the skill of "floating" a solo, but finding a way of coming out of it strong - falling down the stairs and landing on your feet as Eddie Van Halen once called it. My precision improved greatly. I got a really nasty shock the first time I tried to double a rhythm part that was in 16ths, it kept breaking apart and trying to turn into mush. Not only did my precision and timing improve due to working on that, but I improved some really important concentration skills of really locking on to what the music underneath is doing.
Quote by pitobodies
what you should do is really think about what you want to be able to do as a guitarist. then work on that. If all you want is to be able to play really fast, start working on speed. If you want to be competent at everything instead of awesome at one thing (advisable) learn a mixture of advanced techniques.

I also suggest trying to play in genres of music you never would touch normally. For example, if you are a rock type, find yourself some funk or flamenco songs to play. Or learn a few traditional chinese songs. it will make you awesome. Also just find a bunch of songs that have the types of things you want to be able to play and try to learn them.

Lol pokemon reference